Thai immigration arrest foreign language teacher - she's blacklisted from Thailand for 5 years

webfact

13 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

My personal observation is Thai English teachers have a remarkable understanding of English grammar - much better than most native speakers. Their spoken, unfortunately, is not good at all.

@HappyExpat57 So, Pointless then.  Doesn't really help you if you're English grammar is great but you can't speak a word of it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

Looking at this chart, all the fake “ teachers” saying they are helping need to look in the mirror.   It’s an absolute sh…. show.   Oh, my students are great at English!  Quit lying to yourself and buy a new backpack! 

2BA0A323-965B-44AE-AA96-C2F5B297E004.jpeg

@BananaStrong I think the low proficiency would be down to the Thai teachers. they still teach the bulk of the English the thai students learn and not the FAKE teachers as you call them.   

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm….clever move by thai immigration, as Thailand needs less english(assuming this was what she was teaching) teachers. Well done immigration …. damn pesky falang overstayers?( this of course wouldnt have happened if they werent here? )

There will always be plenty of Filipino teachers - cheaper , medium skills in English American and world class skills in overstaying visas and illegal working.

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Keeping the nation safe by preventing the youth from learning proper English. This is real progress and wisdom in action. Depend upon Prayuth for that. 

This is exactly the way that the Thai 'powers that be' want it. Without English Thais cannot learn about the outside World so the majority are more easily controlled, manipulated, and exploited for cheap labour.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

The problems of teaching English here are many.  Poorly qualified teachers, students who have little desire to learn the language and no chance of practicing what they've learned.are prime examples.  Add to that the extreme differences between Thai and English and some of the poorest teaching materials I've ever seen makes teaching/learning English very difficult at best.  The learning situation in most rural schools is absolutely the worst.  A close Thai cycling friend of mine once told me the difference between teachers in Thailand vs those in Singapore can be summed up as follows:  Singapore only hires the best college graduates as teachers and pays them well while Thailand will hire just about anyone as a teacher and pays them next to nothing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Old Croc said:

The main concern should be that Thais may have an English accent resembling that of IdI Amin.

I don't believe heavy accents should not be a concern and can be corrected if needed. 50% CEOs of American companies are now first generation Indian-Americans with  education in their native country India. They have branched from Silicon valley to Wall street. Now non Silicon valley companies are also hiring CEOs from first generation Indian-Americans like Starbucks and Verizon. 

Edited by Onerak

11 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

A few years back around where I live they only employed people from The Cameroon as English teachers.

Cameroonians seemed to be popular at our daughter's private school in Issan as well.  I must say there English is very good.   However the school has had to return to Thais teaching English and there English is not so good. 

10 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

My personal observation is Thai English teachers have a remarkable understanding of English grammar - much better than most native speakers. Their spoken, unfortunately, is not good at all.

No can do

16 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Just out of curiosity what language was she

teaching ? my guess is English not Swahili, should pay her to stay, going by the way  English teachers here are mostly useless. 

Also, out of curiosity, what language is the report from ASEANnow using?

18 hours ago, cdemundo said:

It used to be said that the qualifications for teaching English in Asia were "a white face and a white shirt".

Never heard that before, but many/most/all? Bangkok natives look down but tolorate people of color, including people from Isaan.

23 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Nigeria is not Uganda...

"...Pathum Thani immigration north of the Thai capital Bangkok detained a 40 year old Ugandan..."

Yes, you are so right .

So used to anyone in trouble In Thailand from Africa are Nigerian.

My humble apologies ????

• Haha 1