British Passport Renewal Timing Improved

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

At various times most of us have a  crack at what Thai bureaucracy does wrong (I do it often) .

So my partner goes to renew passport Monday just gone.

Now Wednesday delivered by mail is her new 10 year Thai pp!

1500baht. Including the photo pp office takes. 

Yep, the ease and grace of the Thai passport renewal process certainly stands in stark and sorry contrast to the cumbersome and awkward procedures which have been imposed on us Brits here in LOS at passport renewal time. I have had plenty of cracks on here at what British bureaucracy does completely wrong in that regard IMHO.

I particularly appreciate the way in which mugshots are taken as part of the Thai passport renewal process. Whereas we Brits are left entirely to our own devices in obtaining photos complying with detailed and IMHO over-fussy requirements - which can be easier said than done locally here in the case of those of us living in the sticks.

Edited by OJAS

2 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Yep, the ease and grace of the Thai passport renewal process certainly stands in stark and sorry contrast to the cumbersome and awkward procedures which have been imposed on us Brits

The other area where I can't believe how streamlined things are is real estate purchase.

I'm referring to transfer from Thai to Thai. So so simple.

On 12/21/2022 at 6:39 AM, prakhonchai nick said:

It will also be interesting to see what time scale VFS mention.

I submitted an application yesterday, in and out in ten minutes.

The VFS lass said applications are normally still taking eleven to twelve weeks, but added that some are being returned somewhat quicker.
I heard, from a reliable source, yesterday of a new passport arriving in two weeks, not sure if the applicant had appealed, and had been given, a quicker turnround.

• Like 1

Hopefully can slip a question in regards AU passport renewal.

Oz folk deal with their embassy directly.

Just checking if this is possible.

Apply for passport renewal early new year. 

Travel out of Thailand most of February. 

If the pp is posted out how do they cancel my existing pp.

My experience in the past is that identify strip cut off when pick up new pp. 

TIA. 

27 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I submitted an application yesterday, in and out in ten minutes.

The VFS lass said applications are normally still taking eleven to twelve weeks, but added that some are being returned somewhat quicker.
I heard, from a reliable source, yesterday of a new passport arriving in two weeks, not sure if the applicant had appealed, and had been given, a quicker turnround.

I think 11/12 weeks is the stock answer but 2 friends got theirs back in 5 weeks.

Another friend submitted on 6th December but his has been delayed because his passport photos were 'damaged in transit'...... that's a new one. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, theoldgit said:

A friend of mine is panicking somewhat because he went to Bangkok and gave VFS his passport details for renewal and he's heard nothing back since. He's got the receipt from VFS and it is dated 26 September so he thought he should have heard something by now, and despite telephoning VFS on a few occasions, the phone goes unanswered, which is panicking him even more!

So he is stumped really, because they won't answer the phone and the UK telephone number goes unanswered as well, and of course the UK is bedevilled by strikes at the moment which won't make anything easier for him.......anyone got any ideas as to what he can do/the latest update????

46 minutes ago, xylophone said:

A friend of mine is panicking somewhat because he went to Bangkok and gave VFS his passport details for renewal and he's heard nothing back since. He's got the receipt from VFS and it is dated 26 September so he thought he should have heard something by now, and despite telephoning VFS on a few occasions, the phone goes unanswered, which is panicking him even more!

So he is stumped really, because they won't answer the phone and the UK telephone number goes unanswered as well, and of course the UK is bedevilled by strikes at the moment which won't make anything easier for him.......anyone got any ideas as to what he can do/the latest update????

What date was his credit card debited with the payment?

Any more than 11 weeks send an email to ask about progress. Worst time of year possible for doing that, of course.

Then try this:- HM Passport Office

[email protected]

10 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Any more than 11 weeks send an email to ask about progress. Worst time of year possible for doing that, of course.

[email protected]

Or alternatively submit a completed enquiry form:

https://eforms.homeoffice.gov.uk/outreach/Passport_Enquiries.ofml

Or even adopt a belt-and-braces approach by doing both!

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The UK does not have a Queen on the throne.

...but current passports still refer to "Her Majesty".....I wonder how much stock they have - just how long did they expect her to live...... Is the coronation a factor.

All these questions, and more...????

13 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

It can be/has been.

OJAS' advice is worth taking - unless you are certain already.

@Liverpool Lou has clearly overlooked the following piece of specific advice on HMPO's  credit/debit card authorisation form!

You must ensure that you have checked with your card provider that your card is valid, for this international transaction

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/190989/OS_Payment__Instruction_07.13.pdf

Edited by OJAS
  • Haha 1

On 12/21/2022 at 10:20 AM, Smokey and the Bandit said:
On 12/21/2022 at 9:54 AM, brianthainess said:

Immigration are the police. just saying.

Not trying to split hairs, but all police are not immigration, like traffic cops for example?

All IOs are RTP officers but not all RTP officers are attached to the Immigration Bureau, a department of the RTP.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, OJAS said:

@Liverpool Lou has clearly overlooked the following piece of specific advice on HMPO's  credit/debit card authorisation form!

You must ensure that you have checked with your card provider that your card is valid, for this international transaction

No, he hasn't, he used his Thai card with no problems or special authorisation/activation.

It's blindingly obvious that cards must be valid for any proposed transaction, that does not mean that Thai cards are likely to be invalid/unusable for a UK payment.   Do any Thai banks issue Visa/Mastercard cards that are not valid for payments outside Thailand, OJAS?   Perhaps you've overlooked that aspect of modern banking.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:
26 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The UK does not have a Queen on the throne.

...but current passports still refer to "Her Majesty".....I wonder how much stock they have - just how long did they expect her to live...... Is the coronation a factor.

All these questions, and more...????

"...but current passports still refer to "Her Majesty"".

They also refer to the passport being the property of the Crown.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, brianthainess said:
30 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

UK passport are actually the property of the Crown, not necessarily the Queen.

It says on the back  page '' Her Majesty's government''  not HIS Majesty just saying.

Note 5 on the Notes page of Series B passports states that "the passport remains the property of the Crown...".   the back page of the passport is the page for emergency contact details.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

[email protected]

Thanks for your advice, and his credit card has not been debited with the payment, although he applied for the passport renewal on 22 September??

Thanks again for your help which I have passed on to him. 

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

Thanks for your advice, and his credit card has not been debited with the payment, although he applied for the passport renewal on 22 September??

Thanks again for your help which I have passed on to him. 

That suggests that he has been overlooked....an urgent email seems to be in order.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Or alternatively submit a completed enquiry form:

https://eforms.homeoffice.gov.uk/outreach/Passport_Enquiries.ofml

Or even adopt a belt-and-braces approach by doing both!

Thanks OJAS, and I have completed the online enquiries form (with his details) for him because he's not that computer literate, and submitted it, so we will see what happens.

There have been a few helpful posts, so to all of those folks who obliged, many thanks for your help.