4 AM Closing Time for Nightspots in Tourism Areas Postponed Indefinitely

snoop1130

5 minutes ago, riverhigh said:

Fantastic news! A sign that Thailand is not bowing down to the unscrupulous people who want to make a baht regardless of the potential damage done to society. Less drunk driving, less time wasted by police dealing with the drunk 2-week millionaires, less noise pollution from the bars, less drunk falangs coming home screaming at the top of their lungs and waking up us good lawing-abiding expats. The list goes on. Thailand and us law-abiding expats deserve better!

Are you saying Thailand was damaged when the bars stayed open all night? I don't recall that. I do recall that Thailand was a lot of fun back then, and wasn't much fun at all before covid when bars closed early.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Salerno said:

I would say your guess is way off the mark and it's not just about tourists. Prior to covid there were times I don't even go out until around 4 am. There are (or where prior to covid) clubs that don't really get started until the sun comes up - and not just Thailand, world-wide. 

Indeed nobody can enjoy life or make fun before midnight ????

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Snig27 said:

Bar owner in one well known BKK entertainment suburb showed a few of us the rate card for staying open a few years back. The cops had actually felt secure enough to print it.

Cop owned or Friend owned will remain open .. We hear ya  “;0)

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, alien365 said:

I see lots of tourists here with young children. Of the ones I speak to, they are mostly well off Europeans. To me the issue with the 4am closing time is the zoning. For specific party areas I don't see the problem, which is what I understand this proposal is about. I would be concerned though if it was applied liberally. It's awful for the majority who don't go clubbing til the early hours when they are kept awake in their hotel rooms or homes by the thumping bass from bars in the distance (or Karaoke). Most tourists wouldn't know until it's too late. When friends come to visit me in my non-tourist area, they all complain about the noise at night. I've tried booking several different hotels to avoid the problem but there's always a bar open til the early hours.

I lived in a non tourist area of Lamphun and the karaoke bars that went on till late late were not for farang tourists.

My wife took me to a Thai night club and I had to go outside because the band was so loud it made my head hurt.

Those bands near you that you complain about are probably not for farangs or western tourists.

• Like 1

If some of you party animals can get dressed and ready by 7pm yiu may enjoy the ample hunting grounds at the Judd fair market outside central plaza shopping mall.  So many 18-30 slim, beautiful, quality women there.  Lots of Korean and Japanese the wife said.  Amazing that some of these geek looking kids have such hot gf's.   I swear 90% under 48kgs.   

18 minutes ago, alien365 said:

I see lots of tourists here with young children. Of the ones I speak to, they are mostly well off Europeans. To me the issue with the 4am closing time is the zoning. For specific party areas I don't see the problem, which is what I understand this proposal is about. I would be concerned though if it was applied liberally. It's awful for the majority who don't go clubbing til the early hours when they are kept awake in their hotel rooms or homes by the thumping bass from bars in the distance (or Karaoke). Most tourists wouldn't know until it's too late. When friends come to visit me in my non-tourist area, they all complain about the noise at night. I've tried booking several different hotels to avoid the problem but there's always a bar open til the early hours.

There is no zoning and every owner of a bar or at least a speaker can do whatever he wants here. And most of the time, they do. If you're thinking about buying a property here, think twice. There is no guarantee that your area will be/stay quiet.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

I seen it all through my 20's. I would wonder, why cant we all show up a little earlier so we don't waste away the whole next day because your body doesn't know whether to sleep or stay awake anymore.  Id usually just leave my friends behind at the disco and find freelancer and be back at my room by 1:00

You are obviously forgetting to add you weren't the handsome one. 

15 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

There is no zoning and every owner of a bar or at least a speaker can do whatever he wants here. And most of the time, they do. If you're thinking about buying a property here, think twice. There is no guarantee that your area will be/stay quiet.

That's another forum urban myth. Stop with the complete nonsense. You or your " friend" made a mistake. Tons of neighborhoods in what's considered central Bangkok have super quiet sois and main roads that are quiet no bars no karaoke no dogs.  Why would those people complain? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

That's another forum urban myth. Stop with the complete nonsense. You or your " friend" made a mistake. Tons of neighborhoods in what's considered central Bangkok have super quiet sois and main roads that are quiet no bars no karaoke no dogs.  Why would those people complain? 

You don't understand that such noisy entertainment businesses can open next to you AFTER you bought your condo... Look at Tree Town in Pattaya. A vacant area for very many years in the centre of Pattaya City surrounded by hotels and condominiums. And then they build Tree Town. In the end nothing more than an extremely noisy red light district. And there are many other examples like this. Perhaps it is different in Bangkok. But here in Pattaya there are better ways to get rid of your money than buying a condo. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Salerno said:

I would say your guess is way off the mark and it's not just about tourists. Prior to covid there were times I don't even go out until around 4 am. There are (or where prior to covid) clubs that don't really get started until the sun comes up - and not just Thailand, world-wide. 

Lucky you.

13 hours ago, Elkski said:

What % of tourists want to party past 2 am.?  I would guess 10% or less

The question should be what % of tourists who party want to party past 2am? Pattaya is a party town, not really a family destination (yet), so 4 am makes sense. Consideration should be given to noise disturbance of residents in the surrounding areas, so that not all places should have the same closing hours.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the legal closure time of Pattaya bars has always been 2am, yet some places such as discos in Walking Street didn't close until 6 am and most other places closed at 4 am. Most people can still make it home before sunrise LOL.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The proposal to allow nightspots in tourism areas to stay open until 4 AM has been postponed indefinitely, revealed the Minister of Tourism and Sports, Tuesday, December 20th.

Perhaps we'll get some peace and quiet over Xmas/NY now... good news.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

The question should be what % of tourists who party want to party past 2am? Pattaya is a party town, not really a family destination (yet), so 4 am makes sense. Consideration should be given to noise disturbance of residents in the surrounding areas, so that not all places should have the same closing hours.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the legal closure time of Pattaya bars has always been 2am, yet some places such as discos in Walking Street didn't close until 6 am and most other places closed at 4 am. Most people can still make it home before sunrise LOL.

Before it was 4 in the Walking Street and 2 for the other entertainment areas. But in the end nobody cared much. And even now with the media reports of police checks and raids many don't care. Obviously not even the police ????????????. At least this is how I experience it in Central Pattaya every night. And it is very annoying that nothing is done. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I understand that discos, I think they are called clubs these days, want to stay open until 4am or even longer. When do they open? 10pm, and maybe after midnight guests start to fill up the place?

But i.e. with gogo-bars that is a different story. Girls start dancing maybe 7pm or 8pm. And by 2am they are tired - if they are still there. They wouldn't be able to dance until 4am. So what would happen if bars would open until 4am? They would start and hour or two hours later. But the amount of open hours would be the same.

So what is the point of pushing everything 2 hours into the night?

Exactly..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I live in lower Sukhumvit and sometimes I go out before 7am. I saw often enough the leftovers from the street bars. What a sad view. A combination of totally wasted farangs and old hookers trying to survive. 

You make me feel quite nostalgic.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Then I suggest you do not understand the make-up of tourists.....I bet the domestic  travelers, ie those from say Bangkok visiting Pattaya contain a high young proportion that might want to party until late... but break down tourists, most come from Malaysia and India ... a good percentage older and getting away from cold weather, happy to sit on a beach all day and out for  meal at night. The Pattaya crowd right now are older fat men, it is bad enough seeing them dancing in The Banboo Bar, heaven forbid in Bling at 4am!

The young bucks haven't returned yet ? 

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

At last !

Common sense prevails !

4 AM drinking time for Tourists may good, but for the Locals it would have meant even more carnage on the Roads early in the Mornings, more accidents at Work, and a Workforce for the Employers that would have been even less productive than they are now, through absenteeism, and general poor performance. 

Are you seriously suggesting that any local , who wishes to drink until 4 am , doesn't know of an establishment that would accomodate him.?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kcpattaya said:

Just guessing: You are over 50 years old and like to go to bed around 10 PM?

When I was young single and in Thailand, I'd rather have a lady in the sack at around 1 am. Have a romp. Watch a movie, romp again. Then another one in the morning.  Then find breakfast. Which beats sitting at some nightclub all night till 7 am. Just to go collapse in a bed with some LB that you thought was a lady. And then get robbed. 

• Haha 1