Ex-Navy Officer: Warship’s Front Left Hull Was Cracked

webfact

1 hour ago, BritScot said:

Have you ever been involved in a thai goverment check up? A school I worked at would hide half the school when the officials came to inspect due to the school not having the necessary licence.  Plus the several visits I was there for the officials never left the principles office "acepting brown envelopes)...

Yes, Deception, one of cornerstones of Thai society.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, internationalism said:

Even if she was poorly maintained, she was still passing checkups. 

The checkups would be as bad as the maintenance, if any were done at all.

They are also scared to tell the truth here, that the ship would not be fit for service do you reckon a lowly seaman or technician would dare report that to a senior officer?

Their flawed culture prohibits it. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/22/2022 at 3:35 AM, Gold Star said:

There must have been something catastrophic that caused the engines to fail

Right from the start it has been reported that there was a failure of the electrical system due to water ingress that then caused the engines to stop, then it was just drifting in the rough sea.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Right from the start it has been reported that there was a failure of the electrical system due to water ingress that then caused the engines to stop, 

Bilge pumps are not automatic. You have to wait until it is dark???? So if no one was on the ball. 

12 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:
15 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Right from the start it has been reported that there was a failure of the electrical system due to water ingress that then caused the engines to stop, 

Bilge pumps are not automatic. You have to wait until it is dark???? So if no one was on the ball. 

Right over my head, I'm afraid.   I quoted what has been reported, that's all.

Admiral Choengchai Chomchoengpaet, the head of the navy, the vice admiral, and the captain of the ship should all be fired and court martialed for malfeasance. The lack of life preservers was so mickey mouse, such bad form and unforgivable. It is the responsibility of the captain, to make sure a navy boat is safe, before it leaves port. This is a crime against his soldiers, who depend on him with their lives. It is very possible many of these young men could have survived with that equipment. Lock all 3 of these Navy brass creeps up. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/22/2022 at 6:15 AM, realfunster said:

As he himself mentions, as a 'closed' ship, if protocols are properly followed then it should be extremely difficult to sink, even with a cracked hull at the "front ,left side".

Where were the Hull Technicians?  Were there any trained Hull Techs aboard?

On 12/22/2022 at 8:47 AM, internationalism said:

Probably his title was mistranslated.

The original is in thai.

Likely she hit a submerged container. Still, doesn't explain why she sunk. And that's this officer is pointing to - how engines were disabled by water at the front of ship. 
Even if she was poorly maintained, she was still passing checkups. 
So something dramatic happened followed by bad captain's decisions. 
Certainly there was ample time to rescue all marines, before she sunk. She was sinking for over 6h

My best guess from here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_ranks_of_the_Thai_armed_forces#Officers_2

is that the Navy equivalent of Colonel is the rank of Captain.

In the RTAF the equivalent rank would be Group Captain.

On 12/22/2022 at 7:06 AM, HuskerDo2 said:

"Of course, it is quite possible any hull crack developed after the power and control of the vessel was lost.".... yes, of course, it just "developed". You didn't run into anything right? Modern naval ships built in the US just don't "develop" cracks in the hull. Let's try again with a better excuse this time. Maybe the truth.

Modern ships can develope cracks in the hull, I was stationed aboard one for 1 year. The USS racine LST-1191. After the ship was excepted by the Navy we sailed to Long Beach ship yard for a 2 month yard period were the bow of the ship was reenforced due to weakness discovered by earlier ships of the same class.

Most of the negative post is the typical Thai bashing by some of the posters here. They are saying things about something they know nothing about, if they were aboard this ship when it sunk then maybe they would know what happen. Wait until the official report comes out but until then you know nothing about this ship and its crew

• Like 2

4 hours ago, moe666 said:

Modern ships can develope cracks in the hull, I was stationed aboard one for 1 year. The USS racine LST-1191. After the ship was excepted by the Navy we sailed to Long Beach ship yard for a 2 month yard period were the bow of the ship was reenforced due to weakness discovered by earlier ships of the same class.

Most of the negative post is the typical Thai bashing by some of the posters here. They are saying things about something they know nothing about, if they were aboard this ship when it sunk then maybe they would know what happen. Wait until the official report comes out but until then you know nothing about this ship and its crew

"Wait until the official report comes out ".... yes, of course, I'm quite sure it'll be honest and accurate and not be worded in such a way as to cover certain people's backsides and pass blame elsewhere. 

7 hours ago, moe666 said:

Is the ex-naval officer who is stating the hull was cracked also "saying things about something he knows nothing about"? ????

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

AMM on Twittter reporting more personnel were brought on board for a 'ceremony' just before the ship sunk.

That's been known since the first reports. That's why there were so many board and why the ship was making the journey. 

Edited by KhaoNiaw

17 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

"Wait until the official report comes out ".... yes, of course, I'm quite sure it'll be honest and accurate and not be worded in such a way as to cover certain people's backsides and pass blame elsewhere. 

When will that happen?  Aren't we still waiting on the official report for the Mountain B disaster.