Partygoers in Thailand warned not to use cannabis at New Year celebrations

snoop1130

49840341346_18621b9310_k-1536x960.jpg

Flickr/shankar s.

The authorities in Thailand have warned of a crackdown on drink-driving and on the use of cannabis during the New Year festivities. The announcement was made by the Department of Traditional and Alternative Medicine.

According to the report, DTAM boss Thongchai Lertwilairattanapong says cannabis is for medicinal purposes only and should only be used under a doctor’s supervision. He says the use of the drug at New Year’s Eve parties is against the law and has warned that DTAM staff may inspect venues if they’re suspected of holding “cannabis parties”.

When asked if the police would also inspect such parties, Thongchai says the police will be busy checking for drink-driving incidents. However, he says they may still inspect places where cannabis is being sold to ensure they have a licence and are complying with the law.

And it’s not just parties either. Thongchai says people who smoke cannabis at home and cause a disturbance (it was not immediately clear how they might do that) could be prosecuted, although this would require a police complaint to be filed against the individual.

Meanwhile, the Public Health Ministry has launched a campaign against drink-driving which officials are calling “Don’t drink and drive, don’t drive and drink.” Not very creative but plain and simple.

It comes as health officials say over half the motorists involved in accidents during the same period last year had consumed alcohol.

Weeraphat Sivapat from the Royal Thai Police says over 40,000 officers will be on duty on main roads across the country to help with traffic flow and to check for drunk drivers.

Drivers who are under the influence and who are repeat offenders will face harsher penalties, according to Weeraphat, as will shops who sell alcohol to underage customers.

Source: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/national-news/partygoers-in-thailand-warned-not-to-use-cannabis-at-new-year-celebrations/

Phuket Go

-- © Copyright Phuket GO 2022-12-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Snig27 said:

Somebody should give this nitwit a big spliff and tell him to chill. He'll do himself some damage getting so worked up about the horrors of a plant he clearly doesn't understand at all. 

Yeah, everyone else knows more than this guy who heads a department, is a doctor.  He should be getting advice from no names on a gossip forum!

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He says the use of the drug at New Year’s Eve parties is against the law and has warned that DTAM staff may inspect venues if they’re suspected of holding “cannabis parties”.

Since when did the Office of Quackery and Jungle Witchcraft become a police agency that raids parties? Or is this guy just drunk - oops, I mean high - with power? 

Let the people party.

I can't see the RTP enforcing cannabis usage during NYE celebrations without written authorization from the DPM/MoPH or the PM (to whom the RTP report directly). And that will have to be broadly publicized, and not uttered by the DTAM headman, who works for Anutin.

I'm just waiting for the Ministry of Culture to issue a statement warning women to refrain from twerking.

But maybe that will come closer to Songkhran?

13 minutes ago, Henryford said:

It would help if the Government (including Anutin) gave a CLEAR decision on if cannabis can be sold.

Sorry, but this has been given countless times. What do you require? Stone tablets?

Cannabis flower is a controlled herb which can be produced, sold, and consumed legally. "Control" includes licensing (production, sales), age/medical restrictions, public smoking which causes a nuisance, etc.

32 minutes ago, Henryford said:

It would help if the Government (including Anutin) gave a CLEAR decision on if cannabis can be sold. Half the shops in town seem to be advertising joints for sale.

I think the law is reasonably clear but leaves enough wiggle room for the police to interpret it in a way to benefit themselves.

Common sense would be the best policy. A couple of joints in your own home while not bothering anyone will be fine. Spark up while walking down Pattaya's beach road with a ghetto blaster on your shoulder and your Bob Marley vest on and expect a few hours at the police station and a fine. 

I purchased some (for medicinal purposes) on Tuesday night from a shop on Sukhumvit 23. They offered me a branded bag to carry it in but I declined and put it in my bag before heading to the bar for a beer. Yes it is legal, but if you flaunt it then expect problems.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He says the use of the drug at New Year’s Eve parties is against the law

I’m wondering what law that is. I understand there are laws against causing public nuisance which could apply in this situation, same as it would apply to drinking in public. Other than this, I am not aware of any laws criminalizing cannabis, but that it currently has the same legal situation as a stone or fresh air. 

Edited by cocoonclub

23 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I think the law is reasonably clear but leaves enough wiggle room for the police to interpret it in a way to benefit themselves.

I don’t think so (and anyway it’s not up to the police to interpret laws because that’s what courts do). 

For the most part, cannabis has the legal status of a stone or fresh air. It’s simply a substance that exists and it’s not in any way regulated or even criminalized by laws. Minor exceptions are certain extracts as well as laws against causing public nuisance (which I don’t think even mention cannabis specifically but can be used against many different things including drinking in public). Put differently, there doesn’t seem to be anything in the law according to which you cannot sell, buy or consume cannabis. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

I don’t think so (and anyway it’s not up to the police to interpret laws because that’s what courts do).

For the most part, cannabis has the legal status of a stone or fresh air. It’s simply a substance that exists and it’s not in any way regulated or even criminalized by laws. Minor exceptions are certain extracts as well as laws against causing public nuisance (which I don’t think even mention cannabis specifically but can be used against many different things including drinking in public). Put differently, there doesn’t seem to be anything in the law according to which you cannot sell, buy or consume cannabis. 

It shouldn't be up to police to interpret laws, but this is Thailand we are talking about so that is the reality. Feel free to argue with them about the exact text of the law while sitting at the police station but a bit of common sense and a knowledge of how Thailand works can avoid all that.

No it doesn't have the legal status of a stone. There are different rules surrounding the sale of flower vs extract for example. The levels of THC permitted, where it can be smoked etc. Try sparking up outside the police station on beach road, and when the Police come for you, reassure them it's the same legal status as a stone. Don't forget to report back how that went for you...

10 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Feel free to argue with them about the exact text of the law while sitting at the police station but a bit of common sense and a knowledge of how Thailand works can avoid all that.

I would let my lawyer do that if I think there’s reason for it. 

No it doesn't have the legal status of a stone. There are different rules surrounding the sale of flower vs extract for example.

I wrote “for the most part”.

The levels of THC permitted, where it can be smoked etc.

No, that’s not correct. The law doesn’t say anything about THC levels that can or cannot be smoked and it doesn’t say where it can be smoked. 

Try sparking up outside the police station on beach road, and when the Police come for you, reassure them it's the same legal status as a stone. Don't forget to report back how that went for you...

This would imply that you’re smoking in public, thereby violating laws against causing public nuisance. So I don’t understand why in such situation you would want to explain the legal status of weed to them, or why you would think that there’s reason to do so. The police would have arrested you for causing public nuisance, not because you have THC in your system. 

Edited by cocoonclub

4 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

I would let my lawyer do that if I think there’s reason for it. 

I wrote “for the most part”.

No, that’s not correct. The law doesn’t say anything about THC levels that can or cannot be smoked and it doesn’t say where it can be smoked. 

This would imply that you’re smoking in public, thereby violating laws against causing public nuisance. So I don’t understand why in such situation you would want to explain the legal status of weed to them, or why you would think that there’s reason to do so. The police would have arrested you for causing public nuisance, not because you have THC in your system. 

So what you really meant, is that it's nothing like a stone or fresh air ????.

The plant is fine, but yes there are laws regarding THC content for extracts. I don't believe such laws are in place for stone extract or fresh air extract? There are also age restrictions for Cannabis but not stones or fresh air as far as I am aware. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_in_Thailand

image.png.6c067469e925ab41da08c75d0bc934c2.png

Enjoy that time at the police station with your lawyer. Thai lawyers are great, and really cheap too!! ????

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

According to the report, DTAM boss Thongchai Lertwilairattanapong says cannabis is for medicinal purposes only and should only be used under a doctor’s supervision.

Strange that as the law says otherwise and Anutin has backed it all the way.

If it's for medicinal use only and used under a doctors supervision how are all these shops openly selling it and street vendors providing it.. do they all have a PHD in medicine?

17 hours ago, Snig27 said:

Somebody should give this nitwit a big spliff and tell him to chill. He'll do himself some damage getting so worked up about the horrors of a plant he clearly doesn't understand at all. 

Reefer Madness.jpeg

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

So what you really meant, is that it's nothing like a stone or fresh air ????.

I meant what I wrote. It’s not my fault that you didn’t read what I wrote. 

I didn’t write that’s is like a stone or fresh air. I wrote that “For the most part, Cannabis has the legal status of stone or fresh air”.

There are also age restrictions for Cannabis but not stones or fresh air as far as I am aware. 

According to what law exactly? I am not aware of any such age restrictions. 

Enjoy that time at the police station with your lawyer. Thai lawyers are great, and really cheap too!! ????

Not sure why I would spend time at the police. But thanks, and indeed there are great Thai lawyers, some of which I work with on a daily basis. Provides a different perspective about the legal system in Thailand than the barstool nonsense that’s being parroted by some farangs. 

54 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

I meant what I wrote. It’s not my fault that you didn’t read what I wrote. 

I didn’t write that’s is like a stone or fresh air. I wrote that “For the most part, Cannabis has the legal status of stone or fresh air”.

According to what law exactly? I am not aware of any such age restrictions. 

Not sure why I would spend time at the police. But thanks, and indeed there are great Thai lawyers, some of which I work with on a daily basis. Provides a different perspective about the legal system in Thailand than the barstool nonsense that’s being parroted by some farangs. 

You're not aware of age restrictions? You think 7 year olds can legally buy and use Cannabis in Thailand? ???? I think you're confusing it with stones and fresh air again.

I'm not surprised you need lawyers on a daily basis if such basic laws escape your attention (even when the answer was in the link I provided). 

56 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You're not aware of age restrictions?

Correct. I am not aware of age restrictions regarding cannabis sale or consumption. What law exactly is that?

You think 7 year olds can legally buy and use Cannabis in Thailand? ???? 

Think? What does the law say?

I'm not surprised you need lawyers on a daily basis if such basic laws escape your attention (even when the answer was in the link I provided). 

What “basic laws”? You didn’t mention any such laws. And your Wikipedia article (which I don’t necessarily consider a proper source for legal questions anyway) also doesn’t mention any such laws. 

14 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

Correct. I am not aware of age restrictions regarding cannabis sale or consumption. What law exactly is that?

Think? What does the law say?

What “basic laws”? You didn’t mention any such laws. And your Wikipedia article (which I don’t necessarily consider a proper source for legal questions anyway) also doesn’t mention any such laws. 

Well you are aware now. 20. 

The age is 20.

It's in the Wiki article here seeing as you missed it.

image.png.fbf17467eda0c804256ab5853dc00e41.png

And if you don't beleive Wiki it's also clear in these 2 articles.

https://www.tatnews.org/2022/07/rules-and-regulations-concerning-cannabis-and-hemp-use-in-thailand/#:~:text=Thailand's Ministry of Public Health,have permission from a doctor).

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40016730

image.png.dc24adf0d2f75bf60f0ce59c7c1c57b2.png

So Cannabis is not "for the most part" legally the same as stones or fresh air. It's complete different in fact.

9 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Weed...............beer. Wont matter, the Thais will still drive home off their heads and kill each other

I was in Phuket recently and watched the sky parasail rides on the beach , great entertainment while relaxing and passing the time.

Many of the support staff helping tourists on and off the harnesses we’re flying high on and off the rides.

I couldn’t see if the staff was participating in mind altering drugs while driving the boats.

“One toke over the line”

suggestion ,value your safety  before indulging.

Edited by riclag