Jomtien condo bookings for 1 week - weird messages from owners

henrik2000

Hello, I wanted to ask your opinion about two weird bookings that I made for condos in Jomtien, both bookings on well known booking sites for one week each, both confirmed by the booking sites with the usual confirmation messages, both still possible to cancel free of charge. 

I am not much interested in the legal or technical backgrounds. I just want to know how the stress-averse, mindless holiday maker should go about it. No hotel in the area is as interesting as a condo for me. 

Condo 1: 

Right after the usual booking confirmation, I got a private message from the condo owner saying the condo was not even available and if I could cancel my booking. I replied I will not cancel it and the condo owner said he would contact the booking platform to cancel it. That's the status quo. The condo owner had my contact from an older booking. What will happen next? 

Condo 2:

After the booking confirmation for 7 days, I got a message on the booking platform from the owner that by law only rentals for 29+ days are acceptable, so I should cancel my booking. Then immediately another message on the booking platform followed, that he will accept my booking anyway. I should send him my passport and my private email address. He also mentioned his private email address in the message on the booking platform, obviously wanting to get away from the booking platform message system. That's the status quo. Could I get into any trouble here? 

Do you smell any rats here or is it usual? I had another Jomtien holiday condo booking 2 months ago (for 1 week), which was completely smooth and had none of these weird ongoings. 

Thanks for your real life experience!

If you've booked through AirBnB, then the owner's stats are effected if they force the cancel, hence you'll always find owners will ask the guest to cancel.

Also as stated above, short term let's on AirBnB are illegal in Thailand, unless they have a Hotel license.

• Like 2

Hi all, thanks for your opinions so far!

Btw, AirBnB wasn't used, but Agoda and Booking.com.

I had one previous rental with the owner of condo 1, which was totally smooth, and the owner was even helpful, allowed early check in, late check out, had a good area map, etc. Also the ground floor security seemed very used to holiday makers arriving with suitcases. Of course I am respectful to long-term renters there and will not make a party there or demand hotel style services. Several long-term renters there tried desperately to get into long talks with me, even though I was just a dreadful holiday maker.

Edited by henrik2000

No need to cool off. Renting less than 30 days is illegal in Thailand

Isn't promoting illegal activities also illegal on asean now so therefore OP stating he doesn't care about illegal requirements also breach that requirement ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wuvu2 said:

Nonsense. You've bragged that you've done it before and lead with "I am not much interested in the legal or technical backgrounds."  You're not the victim - you are the crime ????

Chillax man, TIT. It's only wrong if you get caught.

• Like 2

Condo 1:  The owner says it’s unavailable.  So you still insist on keeping the booking?   It’s their personal property.  You cant demand them to rent it to you.  Now if the owner didn’t rent it to you but kept the money, different story. 
Condo 2:  it’s illegal to rent a condo in Thailand for less than 30 days.  You probably could find an owner that does less than 30.  But if the Juristic becomes aware of it they might contact the owner and say you have yo leave.  And if you refuse to leave. .  Well that might not turn out well for you. 

• Like 1

In May of 2018 a Hua Hin condo owner was convicted under that law.  Since then???  Maybe one other conviction that I know of and that was a short term party house rental in a mooban.   Everybody knows it is a law that is not enforced and that there is no legal danger, although it may be against condo regulations.  

And, by the way, there is no law against renting a condo for a short time.  The renter

of a short term condo has not broken the law no matter how long he rents for.  

That said, it is a no brainer.  Don't stay where you are not wanted.

Edited by ricklev