Democrats outraged over Christmas Eve migrant drop-off at VP’s house

Scott

13 hours ago, Tug said:

More political theater by the republicans because they won’t come to the table to hash out immigration reform.Imo they find this kind of stunt more useful to whip up their base but the blame lays with their inaction 

Likely they remember what happened when Reagan agreed to a plan. Once fooled and all that.

• Like 1

Why don’t they just go to Canada? They have one of the easiest immigration laws and simple visa requirements. There are Very few that allow Illegal immigrants to enter and stay undocumented, why should the US? I guess it’s because all of the benefits they get. I know many US citizens that can’t even get these benefits. If they want to live here legally then they should have to do and follow what most other countries require. Either they need to hire a helluva lot more border agents to process this or stop them from illegally entering. Build big warehouses with strict security measures until they become eligible to be there legally. They can have a bed a food, which is more than most others will offer. And wait for the process. If I stay in Thailand a couple days past my departure date and I’m fined and possibly deported or locked up. Everyone must follow the rules of the country they enter legally or not and face the consequences. 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, jcmj said:

Why don’t they just go to Canada? They have one of the easiest immigration laws and simple visa requirements. There are Very few that allow Illegal immigrants to enter and stay undocumented, why should the US? I guess it’s because all of the benefits they get. I know many US citizens that can’t even get these benefits. If they want to live here legally then they should have to do and follow what most other countries require. Either they need to hire a helluva lot more border agents to process this or stop them from illegally entering. Build big warehouses with strict security measures until they become eligible to be there legally. They can have a bed a food, which is more than most others will offer. And wait for the process. If I stay in Thailand a couple days past my departure date and I’m fined and possibly deported or locked up. Everyone must follow the rules of the country they enter legally or not and face the consequences. 

or why not just process their applications faster. They wouldn't even come if employers didn't give them jobs at slave rates. The right wing don't even want to go there. Its crickets whenever that suggestion is made.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jcmj said:

If I stay in Thailand a couple days past my departure date and I’m fined and possibly deported or locked up. Everyone must follow the rules of the country they enter legally or not and face the consequences. 

I find it ironic that some posters appear to support easier immigration in the US while posting on a forum of a country that does not look favourably on those that attempt to enter without a legal permission to do so. Perhaps they want Thailand to be like the US?

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I find it ironic that some posters appear to support easier immigration in the US while posting on a forum of a country that does not look favourably on those that attempt to enter without a legal permission to do so. Perhaps they want Thailand to be like the US?

Nobody is supporting easier immigration or open borders or whatever slogan the right wing come up with this week to slur the radical lefty marxists. What the left want is timely processing of applications for asylum and sending back those who don't need the standard.

I note that you are included in the group of everybody who hasn't bothered to comment on my question why employers aren't being charged for employing illegal immigrants just like they do in your country.

Edited by ozimoron

Border states are overburdened but the solution to that is not cynical stunts to play on Fox News as red meat for the republican xenophobes.

The solution is comprehensive immigration reform. 

Something the democrats have been interested in doing for decades.

But the republicans only want a political issue. God forbid they would actually work to actually solve big problems with practical solutions.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I find it ironic (or more accurately, hypocritical) that those loudest banging the keyboards about the illegal immigrants also tend to be the ones that are loudest about the "pathetic Thai IOs" picking up overstayers and appear to be quite happy about people circumventing the Thai laws when it suits them e.g. dodgy visas and using agents.

• Thanks 1

I don't think Thai immigration law is even remotely relevant to U.S. immigration laws.

They are in totally different situations.

Thailand is like or not  a kind of ethno state where the national identity is dominated by Tai people and Chinese background people.

Becoming a diverse society, nation of immigrants, like the USA and Canada is of no interest to Thailand.

The USA on the other hand would be an aging country like Japan without a constant flow of younger immigrants bringing innovation, hard work (often slave like labor), optimism, and energy to constantly renew America. That's the ideal. The regressive republicans are trying to kill that magic, the real secret of America's success in history.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Salerno said:

I find it ironic (or more accurately, hypocritical) that those loudest banging the keyboards about the illegal immigrants also tend to be the ones that are loudest about the "pathetic Thai IOs" picking up overstayers and appear to be quite happy about people circumventing the Thai laws when it suits them e.g. dodgy visas and using agents.

I don't know why you quoted me then as I have zero problem with overstayers being deported, and I've never used a dodgy visa, and agents are legal, so long as they are not covering for people that don't qualify.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, some good news at last.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/12/27/politics/supreme-court-title-42/index.html

The Supreme Court said Tuesday that the controversial Trump-era border restriction known as Title 42 will remain in effect while legal challenges play out, a move that ensures that federal officials will be able to continue to swiftly expel migrants at US borders at least for the next several months.

• Love It 1

3 minutes ago, Salerno said:

You posted what you find ironic, I posted what I find ironic.

By quoting me you make it sound like I'm one of them, when I'm not. You didn't need to quote me to post that. You could have posted it as a stand alone post.

The post I quoted was one I was in agreement with and supported. That is not the case with your post.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Haha 1

On 12/26/2022 at 11:00 AM, Tug said:

More political theater by the republicans because they won’t come to the table to hash out immigration reform.Imo they find this kind of stunt more useful to whip up their base but the blame lays with their inaction 

Who's inaction?

Edited by nauseus
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Who's inaction?

Republicans. They don't want to address the push factor. They think it's all immigrants coming to take their jobs away from them and deny there are issues in their country of origin forcing them to leave. The same was said of boat people coming to Australia. The right don't want to help to fix issues in the countries of origin because that would be foreign aid. Likewise they don't want to improve processing time in the US. Their only interest is exploiting the crisis for political gain. That inaction.