Are we being taxed every time we leave the Kingdom?

1 hour ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I remember when it was necessary to obtain a tax clearance certificate from the Revenue Department in order to be able to leave Thailand with a re-entry visa under a non-immigrant B extension of stay. 

Back in the late 80's & 90', that was NOT just non B< anyone staying over 180 days in a calendar year was required to get tax clearance ( mine show 792 to 1,460 baht)  Yes even on tourists visas, as back than i never held an non anything visa
i was living/working out of hk yet kept a house in Nakula>
Receipts stapled in the back of ur passport and some are stamps.

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 1

Passports are intended for traveller's, not for resident foreigners.  When a foreigner leaves, there is a presumption that he will not be returning.  If he is planning to return, he needs a Re-entry Permit. As for the charge, well what can I say ? They have their hands out every time we turn around, including for this.

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it is not your "being taxed", neither is it a charge "to be allowed back into the country", it is paying for a service that ensures the continued validity of your extension.   Get a multiple re-entry permit and you'll only pay once.    Other countries' immigration requirements are irrelevant.

A multiple re-entry permit is 3800 baht...  why so much more than a single re-entry permit?

IF someone has an extension of stay, why the need for a re-entry permit in the first place??

It's completely no-sensical....  RB is correct - its like being taxed for travelling more

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Other countries' immigration requirements are irrelevant.

Not really.... the immigration requirements of other countries may be relevant in establishing what is more universally acceptable... 

In this case - those on extensions of stay having to pay to ‘re-enter’ Thailand strange. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

It's all voluntary, and pointed out in the 'regulations'

Nobody forcing anyone to come to TH, or stay, leave & return.  200 other countries to explore ... ENJOY

So if they charge you THB 50,000 for your visa you’ll be fine with it ?? no one is forcing you to come ?

I know its a hyperbolic example, I use it to highlight that there is a line in sand...  a ‘cost’ where some say ‘its all voluntary’ and in the regulations etc... and beyond that line we migrate towards not being happy about the charges - But, when we break it down asking the question is valid... 

... i.e. the re-entry charge somewhat of a tax ???... why is there any need to pay this at all, the re-entry permit itself is completely unnecessary and makes no sense whatsoever. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

It's the price of living in Thailand, if you don't like it go somewhere else, but as pointed out most countries levy some sort of charge on long stay foreigners.

However, if you consider the cost of 1 year marriage extension (Bht1,900)  and add a multi-reentry permit (Bht3,800) the total (Bht5,700) is similar to the cost of a multi entry non-O marriage visa from Savannakhet (Bht5,000).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Stocky said:

It's the price of living in Thailand, if you don't like it go somewhere else, but as pointed out most countries levy some sort of charge on long stay foreigners.

However, if you consider the cost of 1 year marriage extension (Bht1,900)  and add a multi-reentry permit (Bht3,800) the total (Bht5,700) is similar to the cost of a multi entry non-O marriage visa from Savannakhet (Bht5,000).

and cheaper than the multiple entry 1 year  extension in Cambodia ( $290-300) ????

• Like 1

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:
19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Other countries' immigration requirements are irrelevant.

Not really.... the immigration requirements of other countries may be relevant in establishing what is more universally acceptable... 

Since when have any country's immigration requirements been established on "universal acceptability"?  

19 hours ago, anchadian said:

This is like being taxed every time we want to leave the country. Do other countries do like this?

It is the cost of being able to maintain your permission to remain in the country continuously.

How many other countries allow visitors to remain in the country continuously for so little expense, if they allow it at all.