registering a car i own but ex girl refuses to sign papers and hand over blue book

pleple62

3 hours ago, pleple62 said:

hi all i own the car and have sale receipt from dealer (second hand), 

have been fed the wrong information when i bought the car i ended up registering it in my girls name now we have parted ways she refuses to sign it over and give blue book, whats my options, any help appreciated

Depending on how close the girls is (geographically ) to you.

1/-You do not usually need the B.Book to tax the car---I went 7 years re-taxing our car before I got around to getting a replacement  book that had been destroyed.**

2- You can sell the vehicle without a B Book --usually at a lower price, I have done this twice,** last time was with a M/Bike a friend had brought from a Bar Girl and had never got around to changing ownership, left Thailand & the bike with me the for P.I. not returning.  2nd hand car dealers will take it, for the right price.

But for the price you paid for the car, if you are staying in Thailand,  Just use it-- the downside if the girl resides near to you is she may try (to get someone to grab it) Upside is that any tickets etc would be her liability. Next time she contacts you tell her there are already outstanding speeding fines she, as the owner is liable for.

** Both these things I did in Issan--which is a much more relaxed place when dealing with Gov departments then BKK

3 hours ago, pleple62 said:

cheers nigel,,

that's an angle i not think,

yes , i don't think like a thai after many years,

but surely if the sales receipt i have in my name and did come from my account in thailand , the fact i can say it was not a gift, is reason enough,

again most likely the thai police will favour the thai and again i may get misinformed on process, and the confusion starts all, over 

i believe the car is now unregistered, i have possession and keys to the car its worth 190000 thb

Stop this nonsense! There´s nobody favoring anybody. The car is in her name, which means she is the owner and possessor of the car. Period! If you where the owner, then the car would be in your name. You can call it a mistake is you want. Quite costly one, but not a fortune! You will survive. Just take it as an expensive lesson in life.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pleple62 said:

have been fed the wrong information when i bought the car i ended up registering it in my girls name now we have parted ways she refuses to sign it over and give blue book, whats my options, any help appreciated

The blue book is in her name, so she is the legal owner.

If she asks for her car back you better give it to her, or she can file a police report that you stole her car and you might see yourself getting arrested, deported etc.

If you want to challenge that it's her car, you would have to find a lawyer and take her to court.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, pleple62 said:

Sorry but if it's in her name, you don't own it. She's the owner on papers, no matter who paid for it.

The odds of sorting this in your favour are very slim, in my opinion. All cards are in her hands. Best outcome might be talking to her nicely. If you're still driving it, don't be nasty to her as she could report car stolen to cops, which would get you in serious trouble.

• Like 1

So you are in possession of the car ?

Slight off topic but My story: Once many many years ago, I got shafted, the G/F disappeared with 'my' car in her name, early one morning, got her brother to drive it, she couldn't drive, she sold it the same day back to the same dealer ! Moving on a year later I was with a new GF who knew the story, I saw the 'car thief' going into a supermarket, I pointed her out to the new GF, off she went and confronted her inside, ( i don't think she had believed me), came back and told me ''yes she took your car, she no good'' That new GF is now my wife of 15 yrs. :clap2: I'm glad she took the car, it showed her true colours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oxo1947 said:

the downside if the girl resides near to you is she may try (to get someone to grab it)

Go to police station. Report car stolen. Give address to police.

They will come 'grab' it for her. And 'grab' the owner at the same time for auto theft.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, seedy said:

They will come 'grab' it for her. And 'grab' the owner at the same time for auto theft.

all good its parked up in a big condo complex

• Haha 1

Just now, pleple62 said:

Just now, pleple62 said:

but that's a contradiction "grab the owner" ,,, hmmm from all these posts she apparently is the owner 

1 hour ago, seedy said:

Huh?  He's got her car, how can he report it stolen and what address are you suggesting he gives the police?   Unless you're giving advice to her.

I have little else to add. It's a tricky case. Unfortunately, we have to conclude that a lot of Thais are completely unreliable and would even sell their mother. As much as I would like to see it differently, experience shows that it is unfortunately the case. But ...... there are exceptions so there is hope.

Had a mate who hooked up with one of our Thai teachers from a well known and respected language school. 

Same thing happened, but he bought a new all singing and dancing 4 wheel drive.

Lots of pain for him, but don't think she battered an eye. Such a beautiful, educated, cxxt.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Huh?  He's got her car, how can he report it stolen and what address are you suggesting he gives the police?   Unless you're giving advice to her.

Go back - read the post I quoted - then read my reply.

FAH

• Like 1

Well you just learned an important lesson in life.

Our car is in my wife's name, but we've been married 15 years and even with the occasional pissing matches, we're together for life.  If she dies?  The car is mine as it's in her Will. 

But registering in the name of a 'girl friend?'   There's you're major mistake.  Kiss that car goodbye. 

Let it go and rack it up and a "Lesson In Life."  Then buy another car.  Hope the first one didn't cost much.  People love driving status symbols. 
I bought my Suzuki brand new for 350K.  I simply want a car to get me from Point A to Point B.  And at 55 miles/gallon?  Works for me.  But how many people do that.  So many people want the bells and whistles, fancy-pantsy, Hi-So, BS.  What's the difference between that and my 350K new Suzuki?  Nothing.  It gets you from Point A to Point B.  The rest is just hubris.
What did you spend on the 2nd hand?  600K?  1M?  Hopefully for your sake it was a cheap junker. Really - that's all you need or a nice cheap new car. 

Edited by connda

5 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

The blue book is in her name, so she is the legal owner.

If she asks for her car back you better give it to her, or she can file a police report that you stole her car and you might see yourself getting arrested, deported etc.

If you want to challenge that it's her car, you would have to find a lawyer and take her to court.

Possession in nine tenths of the law - unless you're a Farang. 

When you are about to buy a vehicle, ask the dealer what's required to have it registered in your name, before buying it. In the sales contract, include that the dealer needs to have your name registered in the blue book and it must registerable in your province of residence. No final payment until you see your name in the blue book, unless you are buying a new vehicle or from a reputable established dealer.

Even with a tourist visa, or visa exemption, you can get a residence certificate(RC), ususally same day. Just tell immigration why you want the certificate, pay a fee, provide proof where you live. I have obtained multiple RC in this situation.

Even my Toyota dealer asked if I wanted the vehicle registered in my girlfriend's name. NO way!