Thailand anticipates windfall from China’s easing of travel restrictions

snoop1130

38 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

An executive of a hotel in the Vibhavadi Rangsit area of Bangkok said that many hotels are revising their plans to cope with the return of Chinese tourists.

Let's hope these hotels confine the Chinese tourists to their rooms. No more covid thanks. We've had enough. Some countries such as Japan India and Taiwan (and likely USA too) are requiring covid tests for those coming from China. Will Thailand require tests too? No mention of what happens if the test is positive. Source Sky News. https://news.sky.com/story/covid-patients-no-longer-have-to-quarantine-in-hong-kong-as-restrictions-are-lifted-12775498

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stocky said:

A potential windfall of new Covid infections and variants. 

Of course the problem is not necessarily COVID its the low vaccine uptake, garbage vaccine that they have (yes, garbage) and health care systems that are at the brink already.  Even though a small percentage will get sick enough to get to the hospital its enough to overwhelm an already overwhelmed system.

I know that Thailand will stick its head in the sand and welcome them doors wide open LOL!  Big brother says they are open now.  ;D

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

Let's hope these hotels confine the Chinese tourists to their rooms. No more covid thanks. We've had enough. Some countries such as Japan India and Taiwan (and likely USA too) are requiring covid tests for those coming from China. Will Thailand require tests too? No mention of what happens if the test is positive. Source Sky News. https://news.sky.com/story/covid-patients-no-longer-have-to-quarantine-in-hong-kong-as-restrictions-are-lifted-12775498

Definitely not lest they upset big brother.

I give you a 100 percent chance they will NOT have any requirements.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gold Star said:

Before they descend on us again like locusts, has Thailand really solved the Chinese zero dollar tour problem? 

They used to arrive on Chinese aircraft, ride Chinese busses, stay in Chinese hotels, eat at Chinese restaurants, and be herded into Chinese souvenir shops.  They crowded tourist sites, and clogged the roadways, sidewalks, and buffets making one wish they wore hockey equipment to dinner. 

Not much money remained in Thailand compared with other visitors. 

I hope that this time they have changed the model so that the invasion is at least worth the agony, displacement, and disturbance to all the other tourists and Thais.

That's not a completely accurate description of zero dollar tours. Many of the various businesses involved in these tours were either co-owned with Thai's or were business partners in the tour venture. It's true to say that the lions share of the profits were shipped back to China but not all the elements were Chinese owned. The problem with these tours is that Thai businesses became upset that they weren't receiving the percentage of the profits they aspired to, that's why the government stepped in, under the guise of the tours harming Thailand's image. There was nothing wrong with the tours per se, they exist in many countries and work well. The problem here was the revenue split and the locals felt they were being cheated.

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/travel-leisure/article/2130551/chinese-zero-dollar-tour-companies-dodge-thai-crackdown-and

• Like 1

Tourism Authority of Thailand shifts goal from attracting 20 million tourists in 2023 to 25 million after China reopens borders
By Tanakorn Panyadee

image.jpeg

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has revised its target for international tourists in 2023, aiming to attract 25 million instead of the previously planned 20 million, after China announced an end to Covid-induced border closures.

The Chinese government also canceled all quarantine measures and restrictions on flights that will go into effect on January 8th, 2023. Details can be followed via this link.

As for the TAT, governor Yuthasak Supasorn said he would propose to the government to extend the period of stay for 3 groups of foreign travelers arriving in Thailand until December 31st, 2023, to attract foreign visitors, especially Chinese, to stay and spend more in Thailand.

Yuthasak said: “Before China announced the easing of travel restrictions, we had set a goal of attracting at least 20 million international tourists (excluding Chinese) to Thailand in 2023. However, after China announced the reopening of its borders, our goal now shifted to attract at least 25 million international tourists including Chinese tourists.”

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/12/28/tourism-authority-of-thailand-shifts-goal-from-attracting-20-million-tourists-in-2023-to-25-million-after-china-reopens-borders/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-12-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 2

The big question is, what heath checks or controls will Thailand place on inbound Chinese tourists, Japan and the USA (at least) are implementing covid testing and controls on inbound Chinese.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/12/28/china-reopening-travel-japan-restrictions/

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2022/12/27/national/japan-borders-china-travelers/

Whatever system they put in place will have to rely on data obtained here rather than in China, the market for bogus test certificates in China will be massive. That means testing people at the point of entry and that means separating Chinese from every one else, until they are tested and that doesn't seem possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is not only Covid, but there are many other reasons that tourist will not come to Thailand...Chinese should be checked as there is a hugh wave going on to start with.. Who says that they have enough money to travel outside the country, as the Covid had an economic impact in China too. Than airplane tickets are more expensive than 2022, and in Europe the elctricity and gas bill are almost unpayable now. Than Thailand is very expensive at the moment due to an expensive THB. Does TAT open their eyes and see what is going on globally or they just watch travelbrochures?? Make Thailand more attractive again...Beautiful places for Gay Marriages, (as it ever will be approved,) No double standards for foreigners and locals, attractive for retirees( they will have children and grandchildren who will visit them), easier to get a workpermit for backpackers... Than Thailand get really more tourists instea dof 25 million arrivals.. An arrival is not a tourist 

2 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

It is not only Covid, but there are many other reasons that tourist will not come to Thailand...Chinese should be checked as there is a hugh wave going on to start with.. Who says that they have enough money to travel outside the country, as the Covid had an economic impact in China too. Than airplane tickets are more expensive than 2022, and in Europe the elctricity and gas bill are almost unpayable now. Than Thailand is very expensive at the moment due to an expensive THB. Does TAT open their eyes and see what is going on globally or they just watch travelbrochures?? Make Thailand more attractive again...Beautiful places for Gay Marriages, (as it ever will be approved,) No double standards for foreigners and locals, attractive for retirees( they will have children and grandchildren who will visit them), easier to get a workpermit for backpackers... Than Thailand get really more tourists instea dof 25 million arrivals.. An arrival is not a tourist 

Thailand is a very cheap destination for Chinese tourists, regardless of the impact of covid on their economy.

On 12/28/2022 at 6:56 PM, lujanit said:

This is true.  We went to a buffet unknowingly it was a hotel that catered to one of these Chinese tours.  I was forcefully pushed out of the way by a Chinese woman while I was trying to get some prawns.  I gave the hotel a negative review (I hardly ever write reviews) and Eatigo contacted me and asked me what was wrong.  When I told them they said I should have been aware it was a hotel that catered to the Chinese.  No such reference was made in the listing so how was I supposed to know?

Never again have I used Eatigo.

Allowing the Chinese in without a PCR test at the airport and then quarantine them until the result is known is madness.   An invitation to import covid by the thousands.  Don't use one of the RAT kits available as they are know to give inaccurate results.

I went to a hotel buffet at a hotel in guangzhou. It was weird being near the food, no real order to things, people just walking up and taking huge overfilled plates of food and stacking them at their tables. Like they were afraid the food would be taken so they hoarded it first whatever it was. It was also very wasteful as it was much more than they could eat and I think a lot of it had to be thrown out afterwards. It seems like the elderly Chinese women like to do it more for some reason, although they have younger family members get the food.

Edited by JimTripper