Chiang Mai losing its appeal—how to manage? [long post/discussion]

ThLT

2 minutes ago, brommers said:

Pack your bags. To live in a "foreign place" requires flexibility, acceptance of differences, realisation that change happens and an embracing of inevitability. You seem to find it difficult to find that what you thought was reality is in fact not the case, because it was never the case. Perhaps you should return to your place of origin and embrace it once again. Chiang Mai over the past years has remained a home to me because it is vibrantly changing for the better, not fossilised.

What part of Chiang Mai do you live in?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

I'm opening a can of worms here but why anybody would want to live in CM in the first place?

Legit question.

I hear it's nicer to look at than BKK with the mountains and such, but in my admittedly very short time there, it seemed very touristy and rip-offy.  Possibly the least friendly and most glary area I have visited in Thailand also.

Perhaps it is the kind of tourist town where the locals dislike the tourists, reluctantly put up with them for their money, and try to gouge them whenever they can, much to the disappointment of the "ex-pat community" (who generally despise tourists/other foreigners).

• Love It 2

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I hear it's nicer to look at than BKK with the mountains and such, but in my admittedly very short time there, it seemed very touristy and rip-offy.  Possibly the least friendly and most glary area I have visited in Thailand also.

Which areas did you visit and how long did you stay for ?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, VinnieK said:

I'm opening a can of worms here but why anybody would want to live in CM in the first place?

Legit question.

As compared to where? Legit question also - every place has its issues - - I lived in Bkk many years ago and liked the ease of a taxi - even after the rail lines came in but the traffic made taxis virtually unusable... I loved the beaches but they became overrun... 

I lived in a small village which I kind of liked, I live outside of CM now and enjoying going in town, though parking is an issue again, lately. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, alien365 said:

As you seem to have a problem with every westerner in Chiang Mai, maybe you are actually the problem, not them. 

What I’ve noticed quite often, nearly every day while I’m in the city is that many expat and tourists westerners here are desperate to be noticed by other westerners. The insecurity really has a silly goofy eyesore look to it. So yeah, ignore ‘em. 

1 minute ago, novacova said:

What I’ve noticed quite often, nearly every day while I’m in the city is that many expat and tourists westerners here are desperate to be noticed by other westerners. The insecurity really has a silly goofy eyesore look to it. So yeah, ignore ‘em. 

I have to create my 'man bun' to stand out in the crowd that have a man bun.

• Haha 1