Stupid me! I lent a lot of money to a Thai woman.

gingerandtabby

On 12/30/2022 at 12:08 PM, worgeordie said:

You must be stupid, posting the fact you lent/gave a Thai woman a lot of money,

opening yourself up to ridicule ,best to suck it up and put it down to an expensive

experience ,and hopefully learn from it. take solace your not the first and won't be

the last.

regards Worgeordie

Yes this is to become a "lesson learned"

On 6/13/2023 at 11:51 AM, Mang Gon said:

No doubt. Farang beware. No wonder the Pattaya Flying Club is so popular

Sadly enough not sure if anyone can recall but a young Belgian man in Hua HIn did exactly just this, about 7 years ago he jumped off a local hotel roof.

Guess what he was working with the same 'lawyer' Accounting firm, that i had the unfortunate pleasure of dealing with and also lost lots of money with. Sad place at times.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

I lent her the 3000 baht and she promised to pay me back on the 21st, which is the day her Farang boyfriend is supposed to pay her.

So did she pay you back?

If she did, then how do you know that this was part of the scam to which you refer?

If she didn't, then how do you know that this was part of the scam to which you refer?

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, JayClay said:

So did she pay you back?

If she did, then how do you know that this was part of the scam to which you refer?

If she didn't, then how do you know that this was part of the scam to which you refer?

The 21st is still a couple of days away.

If she does pay the 3000 back, she will soon ask to borrow 5,0000 baht. That's how the Escalator works.

Edited by Danderman123

The 21st is still a couple of days away.

If she does pay the 3000 back, she will soon ask to borrow 5,0000 baht. That's how the Escalator works.

I know how it works. I just wanted to know how you know that this woman is trying this particular  scam on you.

The only way you can ever know for sure is when she doesn't pay you back.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

If next time she asks to borrow 5000 baht, she's doing the Escalator, as I described before.

And as I said before, you will never know for sure that she is doing escalator until she doesn't pay you back. Anyway, enjoy your adventure... 

On 12/30/2022 at 3:10 PM, worldexpress said:

I have a gal I've been with for a few years. We've had a couple of big arguments over money. She doesn't want any of it, believe it or not! Yes, she lets me pay most restaurant bills and other date expenses. But she shrieks uncomfortably if I take her to 5 star resorts or buy something expensive. I really want to chip in to help with some of the living expenses but she won't even discuss it. There were two attemps over the 4 years where I tried to give her 50,000 baht and they led to big arguments. She cried and told me she does not want to be made to feel like "Pattaya ladies." She's a mid-level manager at the HQ of a major bank and not well-off by any means. I feel just as bad that I'm the one mooching off her. So yes, there are a few of us that have been blessed with angels.

Lol what posssess the clowns on here to write up this made up crap? Too much cheap room temperature beer? Or just loneliness or mental illness?

"Oh yes my wife hates it when I try to give her a small fortune, or go to 5 star resorts! doesn't have a greedy bone in her body! God how did I get so lucky!".???????? 

Please logout and disconnect from the bar wifi, dude.

If didn't even come off as sarcastic if that's what you were going, btw. It seems completely serious ????

Edited by HandsomeTallFarang
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a different perspective on this topic:

A lady friend mentioned to a Thai bar owner that she needed money. His response: "I can help you". He proceeded to hand her 50,000 baht in bits and pieces.

6 months later, he asked "when are you going to pay me back?"

So "help" was Thai code for "lend" in this case.

• Haha 1

Stay on her like white on rice. In the past I have had people who owed me money. Nearly always, I was able to collect. Rarely did I ever go to court. I kept up relentless pressure on them. I used social media, I used their relatives, their tenants, whatever angle I could find to increase the pressure, increase the hurt, the shame, the embarrassment, the guilt. It nearly always works. The last thing in the world you should do is take off the pressure. Keep on hammering her, in every way imaginable. She will likely succumb.

The last guy who tried to steal some money from me, when he paid me back in cash, in full, a year or so later, told me that the only reason I got my money back, is that he needed to get his life back. It became a game for me. It was almost fun, by the end. A real challenge. 

On 12/30/2022 at 11:50 AM, In Full Agreement said:

If you look up the definition of loan in a Thai dictionary it defines the word as meaning "to give".

I have lent money to Thai people and been paid back - even family have at times asked for a 'gift' or a 'loan' - they know the difference and pay me back at a better % of times than falang... 

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The lady trying the Escalator borrowed another 3000 baht from me, and then paid it back.

Some bargirls borrowed small amounts and are paying it back via services rendered.

Only one lady borrowed and didn't pay back.

She probably thought your servicing rendered was not worth paying for????

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/22/2023 at 4:59 PM, JayClay said:

And as I said before, you will never know for sure that she is doing escalator until she doesn't pay you back. Anyway, enjoy your adventure... 

Yesterday, the bargirl paid back a 2500 baht loan.

This morning, she hit me up for a 10,000 baht loan. Classic escalator con. Even if she pays this one back, she is going to raise the ante until she stops paying.

I declined her request this time.

• Haha 1

Yesterday, the bargirl paid back a 2500 baht loan.

This morning, she hit me up for a 10,000 baht loan. Classic escalator con. Even if she pays this one back, she is going to raise the ante until she stops paying

Why do you feel the need to keep quoting me and updating me on your progress?

Do not let it go. And do not hire a lawyer. There are a dozen alternatives to the legal system, or classic revenge. There are so many ways to go after a bad actor these days. Shame, online humiliation, direct access to family members, etc. The list is endless. The worst thing in the world anyone can do, when they have been scammed for a large amount of money, is to just let it go. It just encourages the criminal. No thanks. I would devote my life to finding him, pursue him to the ends of the earth, and make his life a living hell. And I would not waste money on a lawyer, unless I had a written contract, and the person was a very public entity. 

The last guy who tried to steal some money from me, when he paid me back in cash, in full, a year or so later, told me that the only reason I got my money back, is that he needed to get his life back. I hassled him, his wife, his kids, and everyone he knew! It was pure humiliation for him, and it was totally unexpected. I think he just got used to taking people for a ride, and most of them being willing to let it go. Not me. Not for a nanosecond. It became a game for me. It was almost fun, by the end. A real challenge. 

Edited by spidermike007

The problem is you’re still digging a hole trying to get the money back. It’s just as bad as the loan was.

You would be dealing with another Thai and the Thai system which sucks money and does not work well for a foreigner.

Learn the lesson. Money stays where it is in the home country and you withdraw as needed.