Rank Your Top 3 Local Supermarket in Pattaya

NickyLouie

1.  Foodland - mainly for the Took Lae Dee lunch counter where the food is always prepared fresh and good selection of products 
  2. Friendship - Good selection of european breads and fresh ground coffee for purchase 
  3.  Foodmart - it basically has the staples needed on hand and also with a nice bread / croissant section 

No one supermarket has all I want so I have to go to several over the course of a week or so.

1. Best Supermarket at Dolphin Circus, mainly because it is closest to me and is reasonably priced.

2. Villa at Avenue for Lancashire cheese, good tomatoes, Greggs sausage rolls, bread, Warburtons crumpets and good choice of chocolate treats. Pricey to the point of obsessiveness; if something costs 20 Baht everywhere else they will price at 21 Baht.

3. Big C Extra on Klang. Good meat, fruit and veg. Their scones are a draw for me too.

Just gets the nod over Tops at Central Festival on Beach Rd.

All still have supply/re-stocking issues and some favourites can go missing for weeks or even months, though this seems to be slowly improving.

3 minutes ago, dddave said:

Is the motorbike parking at Villa easily accessible now?  Last time I tried to go there a few months ago, there was construction all around and I couldn't see how to get in.

you can get through now from 2nd road Avenue to Buakhao via soi 15, easier on a motorbike 

Edited by scubascuba3

I find its a combination, bread from one, coffee from another, certain items can be a 20-30% price difference from one to the other, especially at foodmart.

I do find, the same as others, often things that are regularly stocked just disappear off the shelfs, never to be seen again.

Very much unfortunately it is a combination of all mentioned so far plus maybe Backfabrik on Second Road because of its Black Forest Cake.

The disappearence of some of our favourite items in nearly all supermarkets is indeed a reality and nuisance. What I found is that the diappearance is at times not forever - but you might need to wait many months before they restock. So I discovered the brand Waitrose which is producing sensational quality products, be it cheese, marmelade etc. across the board. When the disappearance sets in we wait until they restock.

What I find as well that the personel responsible for the selection manages it to leave out the best products per category that are available in the different countries. Instead they (sometimes) seem to opt for the cheapest (buying price for them). Regardless, certainly it is not cheap for us here because of the import tax. Obviously it is as well extremely difficult to import a not so sweet Apple or Orange Juice regardless of price.

A complete mystery to me is the fact that TOPS Central Festival offers quite an astounding variety of Spanish Pata Negra but not a single original Italian Parma Ham - not even in its lowest quality. Maybe different laws ?

No ranking involved... I exclusively use Big-CX, plenty of parking and quite easy to get to... especially if you go early. I back it up with a couple of supermarkets near the house and the Expat shops. The ones near the house just don't seem to stock the variety needed. 

Not Patts ... but topical.  Yet to find a better place to shop than Makro for most things.  Like Gourmet Markets also, except their silly meat prices.

No matter what province I've been to, they've consistently beat Lotus's, Big C, FoodLand, VillaMarket, to the point, I don't even peek in them anymore. 

Exception to western offering outside of Krung Thep & tourist/expat ghettos ????  Most of which, I don't need anyway.

Our Makro carries just a bit, but not even close to what Makro/Hua Hin or Gourmet Market/Hua Hin carries.

Aside from Makro, we'll get some veggies & fresh herbs/spices from local fresh market.

1. Foodland

2. Big C - Pattaya Klang

3. Makro

Tried Villa - everything is more expensive

Tried Best - Use to shop at Best, Pattaya Nua, until I bought imported gin which didn't smell or taste authentic. Complained to manager but no exchange or refund.

Off topic, sorry, but you Foodland shoppers who appreciate dark chocolate might take advantage of the current sale on Lindt, now B78 regularly B148 or so.

Most here, as evidenced by a thread a year or two ago, not surprisingly want sweet milk chocolate, i. e. candy. Yet

Dark Chocolate Intake May Reduce Fatigue and Mediate Cognitive Function and Gray Matter Volume in Healthy Middle-Aged Adults

The study used higher quantities than would be normal or reasonable but is suggestive.

Foodland also carries Hershey's Natural Cocoa, superior to the cheap Dutched varieties that strip out a lot of the polyphenols.

On 1/3/2023 at 6:39 AM, jacko45k said:

No ranking involved... I exclusively use Big-CX, plenty of parking and quite easy to get to... especially if you go early. I back it up with a couple of supermarkets near the house and the Expat shops. The ones near the house just don't seem to stock the variety needed. 

Not trying to be picky, but you don't use Big C Extra exclusively then?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Only Foodland for me. Been here too long, so the others doesn't do it for me.

Villa, only if they stop price almost everything more than all others, heck, even small ice cream they want 1-3 baht more than all others. In their vegetable section I feel robbed, +300% more than the shop near market soi Buakhao.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Shop mak said:

Only Foodland for me. Been here too long, so the others doesn't do it for me.

Villa, only if they stop price almost everything more than all others, heck, even small ice cream they want 1-3 baht more than all others. In their vegetable section I feel robbed, +300% more than the shop near market soi Buakhao.

Honest question. Has Foodland been here longer than Best? You post made me think

16 minutes ago, bang saen guy said:

Honest question. Has Foodland been here longer than Best? You post made me think

"Foodland Supermarket Co. Ltd., and was established in 1972 by Somsak Teraphatanakul."