NOW: McCarthy appears to suffer defeat in historic second ballot for House speaker

Scott

Interesting....

[The House Freedom Caucus nominated Rep. Byron Donalds, R-Fla., for House speaker during Wednesday's votes.]

I actually saw this guy speaking to CNN the other day.  A rather thoughtful, articulate guy.  Oh, he's also an African-American.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house-freedom-caucus-to-nominate-byron-donalds-for-speaker

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

The extremists used to be the fringe, they are now part and parcel of the inner workings of the Republicans. With such destructive forces at play I agree, this can only lead to ruin. Lets hope they get this sorted for the better, this is not good for the US on any front. I've never seen so much air time being received from some of the loons such as Marge Greene, unbelievable.

The extremists used to be the fringe? What was Newt Gingrich then?

• Thanks 1

The CNN article in the OP says "20 Republicans ....voted for Rep. Jim Jordan in opposition to McCarthy during the third round of voting Tuesday".

For someone who has previously been accused of failing to speak up publicly about important issues in his constituency, Jordan seems an unlikely candidate for GOP Speaker of the House!

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

The CNN article in the OP says "20 Republicans ....voted for Rep. Jim Jordan in opposition to McCarthy during the third round of voting Tuesday".

For someone who has previously been accused of failing to speak up publicly about important issues in his constituency, Jordan seems an unlikely candidate for GOP Speaker of the House!

Jordan doesn't even want it. He just wants to showboat on the inquisitions.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

If the GOP allow the minority extreme Maga to have their ways, it will come back to haunt them just like the GOP senators cowardly gave Trump the acquital in his impeachment charges and he created more political chaos for the party. This small but powerful far right faction will leverage their new found power to shape the party's legislative and investigative agenda and the losers will be the citizens. I hope the House Republicans will worked out a plan even at the expense of bipartisanship to isolated and sidelined this 10% of trouble makers.  

I predict McCarthy will cave in to all their demands just to get the job and the country be damned.

8 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I predict McCarthy will cave in to all their demands just to get the job and the country be damned.

Just imagine hardliners like Jordan and Greene in committes authorized to pursue conservative grievances reinforcing the GOP's image as the party of Trump. The Dems must be quitely delighted looking at 2024. 

• Thumbs Up 2

55 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

It was Byron (spelling?) Donalds last night, all three votes.

The only thing I heard him say was his own name three times. 

Edited by Bluespunk

As a far right conservative myself, I am getting sick of this political theatre.  Fully 90% of the GOP supports McCarthy, that should be enough to get him into the big chair and let him run the place.  Then get on with the business of holding the Biden administration accountable for their actions.

Letting petty personal grievances get in the way is what the Dutch call "ant f...king". Spending waaaay too much time on insignificant issues. 

Embarrassing.  

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

As a far right conservative myself, I am getting sick of this political theatre.  Fully 90% of the GOP supports McCarthy, that should be enough to get him into the big chair and let him run the place.  Then get on with the business of holding the Biden administration accountable for their actions.

Letting petty personal grievances get in the way is what the Dutch call "ant f...king". Spending waaaay too much time on insignificant issues. 

Embarrassing.  

The fear of the MAGA faction is that McCarthy won't follow through on the most egregious conspiracy theories.

• Like 1

Ahh look at it the retrumpiclan party (former GOP)the party of professional losers.only effective in grevance not governance slander not progress.imo the dems just need to sit back and watch this play out or if the republicans put forth a (constructive) candidate some one who works across the isle then vote that one in 

The real reason the Freedom Caucus hates Kevin McCarthy is larger than you think

While Kevin McCarthy’s struggle to become Speaker of the House of Representatives appears to be about personality and struggles within the House Republican caucus, it’s really about something much larger: the fate and future of American “big government” and the middle class it created.

These Republicans believe our government should really only have a few simple mandates: maintain a strong military, tough cops, and a court system to protect their economic empires.

That’s why they’ll support massive prison expansions and nosebleed levels of pentagon spending but (metaphorically) fight to the death to prevent an expansion of Social Security or food stamps.

https://www.rawstory.com/house-freedom-cacus/

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tug said:

Is it lucky 7 nope ???? nope what a debacle ???? lmao 

McCarthy looks very twitchy, so maybe negotiations on a deal not going his way backstage.

Does not bode well for vote 8. 

Vote 7 

Spartz refusing to vote again. 

Few other abstentions as well. 

Edited by Bluespunk

Vote 7

Jeffries 212 again

McCarthy 201 again. 

Donalds 19- 1 less

Donald Trump got 1 vote- how’s that work? 

And here we go again…vote 8 started as soon as votes announced. 

This is ludicrous, I mean how long is this going to go on? 

Edited by Bluespunk
Missing word inserted