Best most Trustworthy insurance companies for medical insurance in Thailand?

Huayrat

24 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

And so did you lose any No Claims Bonus or a rise in Premium. Only asking as I am considering using them.

I do believe the loss of 'no claims bonus', which Aetna also employs, when making a claim is fairly standard in the industry.

No increase in premium due to claims made.

What people need to understand is that the "companies" themselves are underwitten as regards the actual coverage by for example just 3 Insurance groups (within the uk)....I have no doubt that will be similar for Thai based insurance groups

It matters not who the broker used is (per se) the actual premiums will vary but only for the front end loading that the customer pays to that 3rd party

Nothing fosters goodwill to a customer more than a normal pay out on a genuine claim. They renew....their friends get recommended etc etc etc

Anyone who thinks all claims are denied for extra profit are as far removed from reality as is possible. The acturies calculate the "average" claim rate year by year and adjust premiums accordingly. That claim you've just made they WANT to pay out on as quite simply its already "expected" over any given time span

Claims paid normally by insurance companies are the lifeblood of the business and make no mistake they want to pay.....but they wont if you've lied on the original application

For reference I worked in insurance from 1986 to 1992

Edited by Chivas
  • Like 2

Want to give my opinion to this with some years experience in TH.

1. If you have a nice insurance from your home country for some years and you can keep it while you here ... keep it. I had for example a long-term travel insurance for the first 3 years. The European ones are still the best imo.

2. But after you stay longer here you need to check around and you get some insurance in Thailand and there it goes... the trustworthy party ????

--
Luma does good. Had no problems with them. 

April feels better, because they still based in Europe and you get some advantages traveling to Europe

Aetna (Bupa) was also okay.. just checked they have also some good plans now but quite expensive.

Allianz and Cigna is when you don't care about money. Allianz world-wide care is ofc the gold standard imo BUT super expensive.

---

Am i right that most plans go via LMG insurance in the end and April, Luma, Aetna just the brokers? It's this one big insurance company?

7 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

My assumption was/is that companies such as CIGNA will not sell overseas policies to foreign citizens, who register a Thai address, instead the application is transferred to the local branch of the company.

Not true in my case - April International and definitely not April Thailand.

A friend is with Cigna UK, definitely not Thailand, and a previous poster ( @jerrymahoney ) appears to have been with UK via Belgium.....

AA Insure, the brokers, last time I asked, had 2 comparitive spreadsheets of insurer details with one sheet quoting International based and one Thailand based. Both sheets contained April, Luma and others with different levels of cover and premiums.

Other posters on here in the past have expressly suggested taking out insurance with an International based plan for several reasons. One of which is that they tend to offer cover until you stop paying whereas some Thai based stop at 70,75 or whatever. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You have claim experience?

Yes with Luma and April. Both had no problems.

Aetna as well was also no problem.

I moved away from Luma because they like to exclude things in the coming years and they check hospital records from the past...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, topt said:

Not true in my case - April International and definitely not April Thailand.

A friend is with Cigna UK, definitely not Thailand, and a previous poster ( @jerrymahoney ) appears to have been with UK via Belgium.....

AA Insure, the brokers, last time I asked, had 2 comparitive spreadsheets of insurer details with one sheet quoting International based and one Thailand based. Both sheets contained April, Luma and others with different levels of cover and premiums.

Other posters on here in the past have expressly suggested taking out insurance with an International based plan for several reasons. One of which is that they tend to offer cover until you stop paying whereas some Thai based stop at 70,75 or whatever. 

So there is April Thailand and April International?

April Thailand goes via LMG INSURANCE PUBLIC COMPANY LIMITED, which by the way also Luma uses and I think Aetna too?

How did you get April International and how much more expensive is it? 

My invoices/letter all show April International.. still it's via LMG

Edited by burner2014

32 minutes ago, burner2014 said:

How did you get April International and how much more expensive is it? 

How - using AA Insure brokers and paying and communicating direct to April International in France - premium could have been in Euros or USD.

How much more expensive........ will obviously depend on which cover you take out (more than one plan), what options and deductibles if any, your own medical history......and most importantly your age.

If it helps these comparisons are from 2021 when I looked at changing my provider so are quite a bit out of date. Fairly easy I would have thought if you really want to get in touch and request updated information.....

Although I would say thanks to AA Insure for facilitating my initial search the responsibility still lies with the individual to read all of the small print on the various Ts and Cs. In fact no need to use a broker if you feel so disinclined ............

2021 10 Comparison top AA Health Plans Int 130121.pdf2021 10 Comparison top AA Thai Health Plans 100321.pdf

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, topt said:

How - using AA Insure brokers and paying and communicating direct to April International in France - premium could have been in Euros or USD.

How much more expensive........ will obviously depend on which cover you take out (more than one plan), what options and deductibles if any, your own medical history......and most importantly your age.

If it helps these comparisons are from 2021 when I looked at changing my provider so are quite a bit out of date. Fairly easy I would have thought if you really want to get in touch and request updated information.....

Although I would say thanks to AA Insure for facilitating my initial search the responsibility still lies with the individual to read all of the small print on the various Ts and Cs. In fact no need to use a broker if you feel so disinclined ............

2021 10 Comparison top AA Health Plans Int 130121.pdf 163.39 kB · 0 downloads 2021 10 Comparison top AA Thai Health Plans 100321.pdf 77.83 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for this. 

For long-term it seems smart to go with the European version of the same plan.

Can you tell me which areas this covers? Thailand Zone 3 (NL, BE, FR, VN, LA, MM, PH, UK, NO, etc)

6 minutes ago, burner2014 said:

Thanks for this. 

For long-term it seems smart to go with the European version of the same plan.

Can you tell me which areas this covers? Thailand Zone 3 (NL, BE, FR, VN, LA, MM, PH, UK, NO, etc)

Sorry not sure exactly what you are asking but some details here -

https://fr.april-international.com/sites/france/files/2022-12/MyHealth International_Brochure_2023.pdf

Start at page 5

16 minutes ago, topt said:

https://fr.april-international.com/sites/france/files/2022-12/MyHealth International_Brochure_2023.pdf

Start at page 5

Thanks this helps. Everyone should checkout your comparison. Opens my eyes now how it works.

Literally when you insure yourself in Thailand you often end up with LMG. (You can also go directly to LMG but seems more expensive)

The international ones are the interesting ones you want to get before you get old ???? 

8 hours ago, topt said:

Start at page 5

Note from the above  at page 15:

This product is conceived and managed by APRIL International Care France and insured by Groupama Gan Vie (for the medical expenses cover) and by Chubb European Group SE (for the other covers).

https://www.groupama.com/en/our-business-activities/life-and-health-insurance/

Edited by jerrymahoney

23 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I confess I don't fully understand what the situation is, I'm just parroting what another (usually) credible and knowledgeable posters wrote. But that does support what happened in my case. I thought I had bought my policy initially through CIGNA UK but gave a Thai address and residence, all my dealings with them were through the UK customer support team albeit I paid in THB. This year at renewal, all my dealings were with the Thai based CS team and the policy is indeed subject to TIA rules. My assumption was/is that companies such as CIGNA will not sell overseas policies to foreign citizens, who register a Thai address, instead the application is transferred to the local branch of the company.

I saw many times, that when you ask for Cigna or April, that agents give you the Thailand based ones (My guess, because it's cheaper and therefore looks better).

Additional my agent told me, when you want have like Cigna International from Thailand you need to have a foreign passport. They will (or can't) accept a Thai who is living in Thailand in their policy.

The Options would be what I heard is, that you took this under your policy or this person has additional foreign passport (Dual citizen).

Cigna, April are the most famous ones I hear many times when reading about International Health insurance. As stated, take care that you are really in the international ones and not the local. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, digger70 said:
16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Posted by a member who clearly knows nothing about the subject on which he's commenting.

I am sure you do.    Not.

I do.    I know is that the vast majority, if not all, registered, licenced and regulated insurers are trustworthy regarding claims.  If they weren't they wouldn't be able to remain in business for long.   What I also know is that there are many claims made by policy holders who are decidedly not trustworthy and it is those people who cause insurers to examine the veracity of every claim in order to avoid paying fraudsters.

First of all, I think it is useful to understand the difference between an insurance broker and an insurance company. For example, April and Luma are insurance brokers and if you use them to obtain insurance, your policy could be issued by any of a number of insurance companies they use. Your experience with claims will be a reflection of the insurance company's claims-paying attitude and ability and not April's or Luma's.

On the other side, Cigna, Chubb and LMG are insurance companies, so comments regarding claims experience with these companies are relevant.

In general, it is usually best to obtain medical insurance from a multinational insurance company's operation domiciled in the US, UK, EU or even Singapore rather than from their Thailand-based local venture. There are several reasons for this including better consumer protection and a stronger regulatory environment. Many offshore insurers use community rating for their products while few, if any, Thai insurers do. Community rating helps prevent large premium increases when one has a claim. This is something you should ask about when getting health insurance.

Insurance brokers based in Thailand and licensed by the OIC are prohibited from offering policies from insurers located outside of Thailand, but some will do so. In such cases, the policyholder is usually asked to pay the premium directly to the insurer offshore in order to avoid an auditable paper trail going through the local broker.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/10/2023 at 1:30 PM, TigerandDog said:

"Pacific Cross - cheaper than others, but other reports (on this forum) have reported they do not pay out so readily and can also increase their premiums the following year after paying out on a claim."

Of course the premiums you pay will increase after a claim is paid, the same as ALL insurance companies. The actual premium doesn't increase, but making a claim results in losing your annual 10% no claim bonus, which is then reinstated if you go another 12 months without making a claim. As for not paying out readily, you'll find that usually occurs if there is a pre-existing condition with regards to the claim. As an example I'm with Pacific Cross and declared that I had arthroscopies to both knees in 1989. They still consider this to be a pre-existing condition (in my opinion wrongly, as pre- existing conditions are only supposed to be considered as such if they occurred in the 5 years prior to joining the health fund) and will not cover me for arthritis in my knees. The only thing they will cover for my knees is broken bones.

t seems they (Pacific Cross) increase the price even without claim. I just got the bill for the coming year's insurance and a 7% increase was excused with higher insurance costs. Just as the insured also does not have higher costs due to higher living costs year after year. So far never claimed coverage for anything and been with them for 5 years. No insurance in Thailand is, in my opinion, across the board as much trickery as an insurance agent manages to get out of his head with promises during a consultation.

Felt

17 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

t seems they (Pacific Cross) increase the price even without claim. I just got the bill for the coming year's insurance and a 7% increase was excused with higher insurance costs. Just as the insured also does not have higher costs due to higher living costs year after year. So far never claimed coverage for anything and been with them for 5 years. No insurance in Thailand is, in my opinion, across the board as much trickery as an insurance agent manages to get out of his head with promises during a consultation.

Felt

Do their premiums go up in 5 year bands or does yours go up every year?

On 1/10/2023 at 12:10 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Currently with Cigna, excellent cover, but its through work (which would be a 300k baht per year cover if taken directly).

Can confirm, I have Cigna IPD&OPD for myself and my first child, premiums amount to 400k a year, of which I pay only 35%. Racked up 120k on OPD (MP/MRI Gastro/Coloscopy at Bumrungrad last week, no problem whatsoever. Happy Vegemite I am.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Do their premiums go up in 5 year bands or does yours go up every year?

Nothing in my insurance policy says anything about regular price increases.
On the other hand, I have an acquaintance (Thai) who incidentally is the manager of an well known insurance company in the Southern region of Thailand and he says it straight when I commented about one of their accident insurances and how bad the coverage was now compared to when I previously had the same insurance over many years with them and he says the insurance companies are struggling in Thailand and most often the insured ends up with higher premiums and worse coverage than just a few years ago.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

I wonder why nobody has mentioned WR LIFE?

Seems to be an up and coming player in Insurance for Expats in Thailand.

Premiums are very low, so I would love to have more info about them, from somebody with experience preferably!

If you do a search on this forum there's plenty of discussions about them, there's a reason why they are not mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

Nothing in my insurance policy says anything about regular price increases.
On the other hand, I have an acquaintance (Thai) who incidentally is the manager of an well known insurance company in the Southern region of Thailand and he says it straight when I commented about one of their accident insurances and how bad the coverage was now compared to when I previously had the same insurance over many years with them and he says the insurance companies are struggling in Thailand and most often the insured ends up with higher premiums and worse coverage than just a few years ago.

Most insurance policies issued in Thailand are for one year, so at renewal you're looking at a new policy and an insurer can charge whatever they wish for a new policy. The terms and conditions of your existing policy, and its pricing, are only good for the term stated on the policy. Pricing and terms can change at renewal. The OIC does impose some restrictions on premium increases, however.

14 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Most insurance policies issued in Thailand are for one year, so at renewal you're looking at a new policy and an insurer can charge whatever they wish for a new policy. The terms and conditions of your existing policy, and its pricing, are only good for the term stated on the policy. Pricing and terms can change at renewal. The OIC does impose some restrictions on premium increases, however.

Pacific Cross' premium increases are in 5 year bands. I've been with them since it became mandatory for O-A's to have health insurance and I've only had 2 increases in premiums, the first when I turned 71 and the second because I increased my cover to the new requirements. I'm due for renewal next month and I've already been advised that my premium for the next year will be the same as I paid last year, which included a 10% no claim bonus.

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

Pacific Cross' premium increases are in 5 year bands. I've been with them since it became mandatory for O-A's to have health insurance and I've only had 2 increases in premiums, the first when I turned 71 and the second because I increased my cover to the new requirements. I'm due for renewal next month and I've already been advised that my premium for the next year will be the same as I paid last year, which included a 10% no claim bonus.

I suspect that from time to time Pacific Cross will also increase the base premium level of each 5-year band to reflect increased costs for medical care. I do not know how often this is done, but if PC did not do that, they would eventually be collecting inadequate premium for each band.