Thais warned against becoming foreigners’ nominees in businesses reserved for Thai nationals

webfact

2 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

there are 3 to 4 million foreigners working/living in Thailand.... They pay tax and spend money here.... What do you think do the contribute to the economy?? And that are not tourists 

The poster specified Westerners, not foreigners, there is not 3 to 4 million Westerners living in Thailand, there may however be 200,000 or so.

• Like 1

Thailand has a high number of poor and uneducated people. Food preparation or food businesses are a primary source of entrepreneurship and economic development for these people. It is simple and easy to scale. Especially for women.

So it reasonable to exclude foreigners from this industry.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, BritScot said:

And you very much underestimate it!

I did the math once. If you add up the annual financial contribution from every Westerner in Thailand, including their 800K in the bank for their visa and subtract it from GDP, if they all left tomorrow, the impact is about 3% of GDP......less than peanuts.

• Like 1

Interesting, everybody is equal in Thailand ....... some though are more equal than the others. 

Throw in skin colour, religion or cuisine into the equation and the result is, that non-Thais may not carve ice or run a barber/hairdressing saloon - among others. 

Thailand, when looked up, translates into "Paradise for dinosaur" - spot on, keep up the good work! 

12 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I don't know if this is xenophobia or just plain greed, or perhaps fear of competition from people more capable, but this exclusion of foreigners in almost everything becomes stifling after a while. I understand foreigners not being allowed to own land but even companies must be 51% Thai owned. Plus as the article says, there's a long list of professions and jobs that are closed to everyone apart from locals. Apparently, local Thai's need protecting from foreigners, that's why the country imports so little, to protect home grown industries. Without that competition, product and service quality is always going to remain very low and the investment in people, virtually non-existent. It is ironic that 11% of Thai GDP comes from foreigners who are actively sought to vacation here.

Bingo.

I believe you just hit on all the reasons why Thailand is destined to remain a “developing” country in perpetuity.

13 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

You rate your value to Thailand much higher than  anyone else does or than is warranted.

Well put it that way if all western invention was to be pulled out of Thailand, they would not even have the toilet roll on the restaurants table 

2 hours ago, still kicking said:

Well put it that way if all western invention was to be pulled out of Thailand, they would not even have the toilet roll on the restaurants table 

I have never understood the concept of having toilet paper on the dinning table. My wife insists on a roll loo paper even tho we have napkins available 

15 hours ago, Don Chance said:

Thailand has a high number of poor and uneducated people. Food preparation or food businesses are a primary source of entrepreneurship and economic development for these people. It is simple and easy to scale. Especially for women.

So it reasonable to exclude foreigners from this industry.

I so wanted to retire there and open a roadside stand selling grilled field rats.  SIGH.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/16/2023 at 9:11 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

As one that lives in a country where IMO just about everything important is owned by foreigners I support the Thais 100%.

Why should foreigners be allowed to own anything in LOS anyway? If they want to they should become citizens.

Without that competition, product and service quality is always going to remain very low and the investment in people, virtually non-existent.

Competition isn't everything and the Thais have managed quite well so far. I'd rather live in LOS than in a western country which is all about greed profit over people.

Thailand has the greatest wealth inequality of any SE Asia country.

A tiny fraction of society own virtually everything.

Ask the Isaan slaves to their Bangkok masters about greed over profit.

2 hours ago, PCUSHING said:

Thailand has the greatest wealth inequality of any SE Asia country.

A tiny fraction of society own virtually everything.

Ask the Isaan slaves to their Bangkok masters about greed over profit.

Er, is that because Thailand has more poor people or is it because their economic growth over the past two decades has created more wealthy people, you know, job creators and the like...asking for a friend.

3 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Er, is that because Thailand has more poor people or is it because their economic growth over the past two decades has created more wealthy people, you know, job creators and the like...asking for a friend.

Show your friend these articles -

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/economy/40021361

https://theaseanpost.com/article/growing-gap-between-richest-and-poorest-thais

https://www.aseantoday.com/2019/01/thailands-wealth-inequality-is-the-highest-in-the-world-what-does-this-mean-for-upcoming-elections/

In 2019 1% of Thailand owned 67% of it's wealth.

As for their "wealth creators", i think you mean the same families and clans, many with Chinese lineage.

Nepotism at it's finest.

Edited by PCUSHING
Edit

On 1/16/2023 at 9:13 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

So what? Why does everything have to be a competition? Life should be about more than greed.

I agree, life should be about more than greed. But business and the economy is about money.