Greta Thunberg detained at German coal protest

Scott

2 minutes ago, Keep Right said:

OK, call me a zealot, climate change is overblown!

Then in my opinion you deserve to be labelled as one. Scientists overwhelming state that we are in an existential crisis over climate change. Claiming that the overwhelming majority of scientific opinion is wrong has to be zealotry unless a credible argument can be put to counter that scientific opinion. I never see any.

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I didn't. I replied to you with a generalisation. You can either agree with the generalisation or not as you wish.

Then preface it with the term “In general some people will fit this description———-“.  I do not imply that you fit into a certain definition because I do know what your beliefs are.  

Edited by sqwakvfr

1 minute ago, sqwakvfr said:

Then preface it with the term “In general some people will fit this description———-“.  I do not imply that you fit into a certain definition because I do know what your beliefs are but I know this about you based upon your comments: YOU ASS-U-ME often.  

I prefer the word "any". Every would be a good alternative. Denial of overwhelming scientific opinion is zealotry. There's no kind way to describe deniers.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Any person who repeatedly argues that climate change is overblown as an issue or outright false or denies that it is caused by human activities can be fairly labelled a zealot in exactly the same way as creationists can be likewise described.

The science is in and that ship has sailed.

I'll take a rain check on that for now and weigh it all up in 1000 years.

Oh!????????

1 minute ago, proton said:

You must fancy her, it's impact is not massive and if it was why is she not demonstrating in China or India?

She's just turned 20, I'm married and have a wonderful family, why would I fancy her? & what has that got to do with the school lesson you missed?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Sadly, there's too many of them. I wonder if they come here because they don't have anywhere else to go except wacko conspiracy forums.

Ah, but that's what the mainstream media want you to think!! (Right?)

I honestly can't believe there are people out there stupid enough to believe that stuff, but there goes Keep Right proudly spamming up the thread with ludicrous right wing nonsense. He seeks out the real truth alright!

Just now, BritManToo said:

Anyone that repeatedly states 'the science is in' is clearly a Luddite zealot.

Science is never final, there is always more to learn on every subject.

Nobody said that all the science was known but anthropomorphic climate change sure as hell isn't going to be proven false or anything other than an existential emergency. The only science that's unknown is exactly how the climate reacts to greenhouse gases and how to go about stopping or reversing it and where the tipping points are. The concept itself is set in concrete.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Who is holding her purse strings

I looked it up and a class action costs Euro 50 to file. If successful the value of the claim is shared. I don't think the group is asking for money but demanding action. Keeping in mind there are many people who protest, sharing costs may not be onerous. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, josephbloggs said:

Ah, but that's what the mainstream media want you to think!! (Right?)

I honestly can't believe there are people out there stupid enough to believe that stuff, but there goes Keep Right proudly spamming up the thread with ludicrous right wing nonsense. He seeks out the real truth alright!

The mainstream media don't "want" me to think anything. They publish the news, that's it. If Keep Right was seeking the real truth he'd provide links, right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Actually, referring to other people's genitalia on social media is crass, childish and unsophisticated. At the age of 20, I'd expect her to know better.

No doubt if Tate had referred to the size of Thunberg's genitalia you'd be clutching your pearls about the horror of it all. Double standards yet again.

She was just lowering herself to Tate's level...????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

She was just lowering herself to Tate's level...????

Agreed.

They are both as bad as each other. The child deity doomsday cult leader and the misogynistic braggart. They can both jog on as far as I am concerned. As can those who are foolish enough to idolize them.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How much of your own energy usage do you generate?

Irrelevant. I vote for the political parties who promise to do the most to combat climate change. Arguments in the same vein as your question like I flew to Thailand on a jet are just childish, as an example.

Climate change can only be halted by collective action. It is an international problem because we all live on the same planet. I believe this single truth is the reason so many deny it is a problem.

Edited by ozimoron

17 minutes ago, Purdey said:

I looked it up and a class action costs Euro 50 to file. If successful the value of the claim is shared. I don't think the group is asking for money but demanding action. Keeping in mind there are many people who protest, sharing costs may not be onerous. 

Fair call. I certainly didn't look anything up, just followed the "suing" from a earlier poster.????????

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Irrelevant. I vote for the political parties who promise to do the most to combat climate change. Arguments in the same vein as your question like I flew to Thailand on a jet are just childish, as an example.

Voting for parties who promise?

Devilishly clever.????????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Purdey said:

Greta is actually suing the Swedish government for not doing enough to protect the environment. The woman has more grit than anyone on ASEAN Now and is no one's mouthpiece. Her smile while being detained says "You fell into my trap and put this local protest in a global spotlight". I look forward to the day she becomes Swedish PM.

She won't win because no one wins against any government. As for any grit she may have, is firmly lodged in her brain. She is just a puppet. With Sanctions affecting Europe more than it's intended target (Russia). Europe has no choice but to burn coal or scrap the sanctions. She is becoming irrelevant. Climate change is a hoax.     

• Like 2