Ron DeSantis government bans new advanced African American history course

Scott

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Who do you think the 'lowest common denominator' is?

If it were up to me no wealthy people (or people with wealthy families) should be allowed to run for public office. Even going to a private school should exclude a candidate from running for office. They only represent themselves and live entirely separate lives to the 'common people'.

I assume the ‘lowest common denominator’ to be a state of mind not restricted to any particular socioeconomic group.

With regards to the point you make in your second paragraph, forgive me if going forwards I point out future arguments you make that are in favour of the Public Schoolboy Elites (PSE) you object to.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

With regards to the point you make in your second paragraph, forgive me if going forwards I point out future arguments you make that are in favour of the Public Schoolboy Elites (PSE) you object to.

Feel free,

You would never find me posting in favour of anyone that attended private school taking public office. 

Not even (Lord) Tony Benn or Jeremy Corbyn.

5 minutes ago, pomchop said:

The less history kids learn the less likely they are to question the motives and people who make history

Thinking back to my school days, we didn't learn any history more modern than the Battle of Agincourt, or anything older than the Battle of Hastings (circa 1066-1450). Even though our history teacher was a guy that lost an arm in WW2.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Thinking back to my school days, we didn't learn any history more modern than the Battle of Agincourt, or anything older than the Battle of Hastings (circa 1066-1450). Even though our history teacher was a guy that lost an arm in WW2.

That explains a great deal.

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Thinking back to my school days, we didn't learn any history more modern than the Battle of Agincourt. Even though our history teacher was a guy that lost an arm in WW2.

A yank, so we covered US History, from early explorers, to 1400 settlements, the 13 colonies, development, Am Revolution, what lead up to, and all.  Same with Civil War and all they one would need to know about N vs S & slavery, before & after along with expansion westward.

Really don't know what else could be taught, about the plight of all slaves in the Americas, and or immigrants from different EU countries.  

Tough some EU history, along with Mexican, Aztec / Incas & S. America.  Actually fairly inclusive, with EIT BS, Asian routes Marco Polo, Ghengis Khan, China, and their dynasties.  

Nothing about OZ or Japan, and very little about WW1 & 2, strangely, and absolutely nothing about Vietnam, even though there well over 10 yrs before I graduated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Nothing about OZ or Japan, and very little about WW1 & 2, strangely, and absolutely nothing about Vietnam, even though there well over 10 yrs before I graduated.

Not really strange, anything less than 100 years old was never considered 'history' in academia.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Well its good to know the world has moved on and WW2 is now part of history in the UK curriculum as is Britain’s place in the world since 1945.

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:
3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Considering 13% of the US population is black and 19% is Latino (27% Latino in Florida).

Why must everything be about black people, do Hispanics have no worth?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Florida

"According to the 2020 census, the racial distributions are as follows; 51.5% Non-Hispanic White, 26.6% of the population are Hispanics or Latino (of any race), 14.5% African American, 4% Native American, and 2.3% Asian, Oriental and other."

Expand  

OK say you’ve found out some statistics.

So what’s your aversion to some history?

Cancer only affects a percentage of us, but we ALL want it eradicated, regardless of statistics.

And, as I recall, it was the Blacks who were enslaved in the US, not Hispanics.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Not really strange, anything less than 100 years old was never considered 'history' in academia.

Stop it. You're spouting rubbish. You admitted to anti-intellectualism already. You don't know that history is everything before right now?

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Sure it was bad luck for the blacks that were taken as slaves, but probably better than being eaten by the tribes that enslaved them. But it was absolutely fabulous for their descendants that are free to participate as citizens in the greatest country in the world (I'm guessing none of them would prefer to live in Ghana, etc).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

POD (Problems of Democracy) class, covered the operation, ins & outs of Govt & current events, though I really don't remember much of Vietnam War being discussed, and this 1972/73.  Thinking back, that seems strange now, maybe a curriculum taboo, as most current things were covered in class.

There was the nation wide school walk out, but that's about all I remember about Vietnam, school wise.  School policy was punishment if you participated.  Again strange, since the war was actually winding down at the that period.  TET over, and obviously no attempt to actually win the war, (defense contractor's wet dream) hence, part of all the protest at the time, I think.

Thinking back, though I always knew, my High School was an excellent school.  

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Considering 13% of the US population is black and 19% is Latino (27% Latino in Florida).

Why must everything be about black people, do Hispanics have no worth?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Florida

"According to the 2020 census, the racial distributions are as follows; 51.5% Non-Hispanic White, 26.6% of the population are Hispanics or Latino (of any race), 14.5% African American, 4% Native American, and 2.3% Asian, Oriental and other."

It would be an interesting suggestion if it didn't already exist. Latin America history has been taught for years.

Including Florida

https://www.cpalms.org/PreviewCourse/Preview/594

Edited by candide
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

A very small minority of the slave trade of the Americas, was actually in the British (mainland) colonies, later the USA, and within 70 ish yrs, abolished..  Most of the trade went to the islands of the Caribbean.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/african-americans-many-rivers-to-cross/history/how-many-slaves-landed-in-the-us/#:~:text=Between 1525 and 1866%2C in,the Caribbean and South America.

So when I hear racist like Oprah stating millions of slaves & blacks were lynched in the USA, you just laugh and ignore them.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, candide said:

It would be an interesting suggestion if it didn't already exist. Latin America history has been taught for years.

I certainly hope so. In my time, not really. I do recall being taught the Mexican hat dance in elementary school though. 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, candide said:

Of course, you are able to show where anti-white racism is taught in this program? ????

Maybe the opponents think that its "racist" to teach the real facts of American history such as redlining that have economic impacts to this day. Or about the massacre of "black wall street" in Tulsa.  Of course it's not. It's like they want students to be ignorant.

How Redlining Kept Black Americans From Homeownership and Still Does (businessinsider.com)

As part of the New Deal, the federal government began insuring mortgages in the 1930s, a sorely needed shot in the arm for the housing market during the Great Depression.

But the lending practices that came to be known as "redlining" effectively denied credit to residents of predominantly minority neighborhoods.

Rising rates of home ownership were a big aspect of rising middle class prosperity after World War II, but redlining kept Black Americans from the same opportunity until the late 1960s. Instances of discriminatory lending continued into this decade.

• Like 1

Who really cares about high school?   Teach the basics, move on.....A little history of Athens, Rome, America, couple wars, throw in a little Japan and China (not too much), sprinkle with a little Cuban Missile crisis and maybe even S. Africa for good measure.   

ANY kid with an above average IQ will research history in their 20's.   or even 30's.   perhaps 40's.   Trust me, the information will come, eventually.    I learned about Indonesia before the Tulsa race massacre.  That was my path, I guess.

I don't care what these idiots allow in school, it won't keep the smart kids from finding out the "truth" about whatever.

Some slaves didn't want to be free, Stockholm syndrome.  Many died on their trek out West.  The Spanish killed so many indians I can't even count, all for the cross.   Americans get blamed for killing Indians likely over gold or land or both or power or whatever.....I even remember reading once America conquered Mexico and decided not to really spend the time colonizing it.  some Manifest destiny thing....

anyhow, don't worry about the kids......

Edited by BananaStrong

45 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

A very small minority of the slave trade of the Americas, was actually in the British (mainland) colonies, later the USA, and within 70 ish yrs, abolished..  Most of the trade went to the islands of the Caribbean.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/african-americans-many-rivers-to-cross/history/how-many-slaves-landed-in-the-us/#:~:text=Between 1525 and 1866%2C in,the Caribbean and South America.

So when I hear racist like Oprah stating millions of slaves & blacks were lynched in the USA, you just laugh and ignore them.

It's not mainly a question of numbers.

7 hours ago, jaywalker said:

In Florida now. Have been the past couple years.

I have a daughter. She is a girly girl. I have a son he os a macho man.

Governor Desantis is a "wapaho" Indian. He's a gangster WOP. If you want your boy to think it's OK to be a girl, or your pretty baby girl to think she should be all BUTCH....That's fine. UP2U.

Just NOT in public schools, in Florida. I kinda like THAT IDEOLOGY.

If you want your kid to identify as a SEEDLESS WATERMELON FROM MARS. that's your choice. live and let live.....but the Left will NEVER just leave us normal folks alone.

My son has a penis.

My daughter has a vagina.

End of story.

Imo the gay straight issue is an easy target to rile up the base republican voter it’s imo an important though minor issue it’s a lazy theater politics busing asylum seekers to liberal out of state districts when you don’t share a border with a foreign country is theater at tax payer expense is pure theater ment to fund raise and outrage it’s deeply disingenuous.why not address childhood poverty?the endemic drug abuse that Florida’s is famous for rising sea levels climate?why because they are difficult issues and Ronnie is lazy and untalented most see him for what he is

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tug said:

Imo the gay straight issue is an easy target to rile up the base republican voter it’s imo an important though minor issue it’s a lazy theater politics busing asylum seekers to liberal out of state districts when you don’t share a border with a foreign country is theater at tax payer expense is pure theater ment to fund raise and outrage it’s deeply disingenuous.why not address childhood poverty?the endemic drug abuse that Florida’s is famous for rising sea levels climate?why because they are difficult issues and Ronnie is lazy and untalented most see him for what he is

The good news is that he hasn't been tested at all on the national level. Florida is a very weird state. Whether Don't Say Gay Florida Man plays in Peoria is undetermined. Also he appears to lack charisma and likeability, saying he is going to kill woke and nothing else is going to get real tired real fast.

Hopefully the republicans can find a way to nominate neither Trump or an another Trumpist like DeSantis although at this point, I don't see much point in optimism. I heard today that Nikki Haley who will probably run is trying to position herself as to the right of DeSantis on social issues. Sigh.

The View calls out 'robotic' DeSantis: He has the 'charisma of a cup' and that’s why he’ll lose against Trump in 2024 - Raw Story - Celebrating 18 Years of Independent Journalism

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, jaywalker said:

In Florida now. Have been the past couple years.

I have a daughter. She is a girly girl. I have a son he os a macho man.

Governor Desantis is a "wapaho" Indian. He's a gangster WOP. If you want your boy to think it's OK to be a girl, or your pretty baby girl to think she should be all BUTCH....That's fine. UP2U.

Just NOT in public schools, in Florida. I kinda like THAT IDEOLOGY.

If you want your kid to identify as a SEEDLESS WATERMELON FROM MARS. that's your choice. live and let live.....but the Left will NEVER just leave us normal folks alone.

My son has a penis.

My daughter has a vagina.

End of story.

Well, we are certainly in agreement there. While I am supportive of gay rights, I think the whole transgender thing has gone way too far in the US, as well as the 55 other "recognized identities" nonsense. It is beyond ridiculous and likely all inspired by toxic social media. 

Furries-animals.jpg

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thumbs Up 2

23 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

On the other hand, at least he is not coming up with mad policies to pay EVERY black person $500,000 or whatever for historic 'slave' issues like the mad insane idiots in California !

That's 5 mil USD each.

On 1/21/2023 at 10:49 AM, spidermike007 said:

This man is so sad and out of touch with reality. He might was well be saying we don't want to face our past and it is not good for us white men to learn and progress. So, let us "whitewash" the books and just deny and forget.

I sure hope some of his skeletons get unearthed. He would not make a good, or forward thinking leader. 

In that case, you should support Native American studies course, with emphasis on all the broken treaties. You do want to know about the American past, and for white men to learn and progress, don't you?

I have no problem with any course about anything as long as they are not compulsory. If people want a particular course they can sign up for it.

• Like 1