Thailand’s exploited, vulnerable sex workers could soon be protected by law

webfact

I welcome this, but I'm far from sure many of the working girls/women will. Many of them enjoy the freedom of being  outside the law and off the radar. Anyway, highly doubtful it will ever happen given local sensitivities on the issue. 

5 hours ago, tjb30i said:

Now I am totally confused. The last press release said the Pattaya police visited all of the hots spots such as Walking Street and confirmed there are no sex workers. So they want to create legislation to protect sex workers who they claim don't exist lol?

Left hand - Right hand. Absence of joined up policies, similarly to many governments throughout the world.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You must frequent dodgy bars then. I never saw a drunk bar girl in the bars I frequented.

They don't have to drink alcohol just because a customer bought them a drink. That's on them.

Show me a bar where after midnight there are not plenty of drunk girls.

Basically all of them want to make money from drinks, which is fair enough because that is their job.

And IMHO the majority of the girls also like to get drunk or be drunk.

Give them the choice between cola, a beer or tequila many want the tequila, and another one and another one. 

• Like 2

Is there any country on the planet where there is no prostitution, I doubt there is even though many countries try and claim there is none. Its the oldest profession so get real, Thailand would have to be one of the largest prostitution hubs on the planet and its not going away any time soon so make it legal and support it. 

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

The bit that I find worrying is "In case of disputes between customer and service providers, OFFICIALS will act as mediators" that could lead to shake downs, still maybe better than getting the cr@p kicked out of you by staff.

"She promised me she will swallow it all."

Now let the officials sort that one out. ???? 

• Haha 1

Unless they change the law to allow sexual service to be sold and allowed on the premises (basically a brothel or soi 6 style), I can't see much change.  Bars employing staff who can be barfined by customers should already be subject to the same employment laws as any other bar/restaurant.  What takes place after a member of staff has 'left' the premises is nothing to to with the employer.  Soapies are already covered under existing legislation.

Sounds like a publicity stunt to me.

http://www.sexwork.com/Thailand/legal.html

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Show me a bar where after midnight there are not plenty of drunk girls.

Basically all of them want to make money from drinks, which is fair enough because that is their job.

And IMHO the majority of the girls also like to get drunk or be drunk.

Give them the choice between cola, a beer or tequila many want the tequila, and another one and another one. 

I always felt most of them had to get drunk or off their heads on a drug to face going with some of the boring lumps they make the money from.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, proton said:

I always felt most of them had to get drunk or off their heads on a drug to face going with some of the boring lumps they make the money from.

So I guess if a young handsome guy walks in a bar to take a girl out then the girl won't drink to enjoy the experience? Really?

8 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Many thousands of Thais ??? It is more man HUNDREDS of thousands if not millions over the last few decades ....... but officially prostitution never existed here in Thailand, as many other things it was just "overlooked" ???? 

Where is your "official" source for this?  Actually, there is a lot of Thai legislation regulating prostitution in the Kingdom, going back to the 1960s.  I posted a link earlier.  

More liberal do goody nonsense from the clueless.

I was exploited by a beautiful sex worker last Friday afternoon.

After an enjoyable time together, she kindly showed me her Onlyfans site and invited me to forward any of my intimate photos of her.

I would think she is making a fortune both through Thaifrendly and monitising her social media content.

Good for her.

The problem is their money being sent back home to be wasted and squandered by family. Some hit 30 years of age with nothing to show for it.

The vast majority of the "exploited" get sent here by their family because they are <deleted> round the village for free. Highly promiscuous.

Why go for free? Send them to Pattaya and at least they will earn when they go with a farang.

The families are largely the exploiters, a fact that won't sit well with are resident Thai huggers on the board.

18 hours ago, proton said:

I always felt most many of them were alcoholics or drug addicts and didn't care what they had to do to finance their addiction. They probably don't even notice what the guy is like.

Having lived with some of them on and off for the past 12 years, I noticed nearly all their problems are self-inflicted.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 7:41 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Given they can't be legally working in a bar till 18, if they had been sex workers for decades that would make them at least 38. The chances of any 38 year old getting customers when their co workers are in the twenties are somewhat slim, unless they can get their prospective customer so drunk they can't see.

IMO the only alternative would be to become one of the sad creatures lurking in the shadows hoping to snare a desperate passerby.

BTW, unmarried older bargirls have usually departed for the village or have become service, in which case they probably ain't sex workers any more.

Usually by the time they are too old to be attractive to the sex trade, they have snared a stupid foreigner, talked him into buying a property, all in her name of course, as is the car and the motorbike, she has a nice savings account because he pays all the bills and gives her a monthly amount as well, she doesn't need to lurk in the shadows to pickup a desperate passerby.

9 minutes ago, JWRC said:

Usually by the time they are too old to be attractive to the sex trade, they have snared a stupid foreigner, talked him into buying a property, all in her name of course, as is the car and the motorbike, she has a nice savings account because he pays all the bills and gives her a monthly amount as well, she doesn't need to lurk in the shadows to pickup a desperate passerby.

Isn't that what most women do these days?

Slut around until they're 30+ then hit the Beta bucks?

And back in the West they get your house and your pension + 19 years child maint.

Doesn't matter whose name everything is in.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Where is your "official" source for this?  Actually, there is a lot of Thai legislation regulating prostitution in the Kingdom, going back to the 1960s.  I posted a link earlier.  

Yes, the legislation clearly mentions "illegal". I've lived more than half my entire life in this country and am (not early) retired. I've seen the maidens serving Caucasians, Asians and then the majority of them serving local gentlemen in Café, Karaoke, Turkish Baths, "no hands" restaurants, Spas and not so traditional massage parlours. Due to my length of stay, can confirm that the next generation of "workers" have taken over the elder generation. So much to official; common sense prevails ???? And no, the legislation does also not suggest a nightly roll call ???? 

6 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Yes, the legislation clearly mentions "illegal". I've lived more than half my entire life in this country and am (not early) retired. I've seen the maidens serving Caucasians, Asians and then the majority of them serving local gentlemen in Café, Karaoke, Turkish Baths, "no hands" restaurants, Spas and not so traditional massage parlours. Due to my length of stay, can confirm that the next generation of "workers" have taken over the elder generation. So much to official; common sense prevails ???? And no, the legislation does also not suggest a nightly roll call ???? 

Quite.

The other fact many forget, the Thai to Thai sex trade is far bigger than the, so called, exploitation by foreigners.

• Like 2