Driver's sister dead after train hits pick-up at level crossing in Songkhla - recently married couple in hospital

webfact

ปกเว็บใหม่-savezone-79.png

Picture: INN

INN followed up after a collision at a level crossing in Songkhla, southern Thailand between the #37 train from Bangkok to Sungai Kolok, on the Malaysian border, and a pick-up.

It happened in Ban Paching in Chana district around midday.

There were three people in the pick-up who were taken to Chana Hospital. 

In latest news it was reported that Natchamee, the 33 year old sister of the driver who was in the back seat but was thrown out of the vehicle, had died.

The couple in the front - Yaya the driver and his wife Pathumma - have been transferred to Songkhla Hospital.

They got married on Friday. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-01-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Looking at the photo it seems as though there is no barrier, and that the warning lights (at least on this side) seem to be working.

The lights were working unfortunately the drivers brain wasn't.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

This is not an accident! You are supposed to look before, and when, you drive. If you are not looking, that is to be called attempted suicide.

Or, in this case, manslaughter. Of course, in Thailand nothing at all will happen to the driver.

• Like 1

Looking at the photo it seems as though there is no barrier, and that the warning lights (at least on this side) seem to be working.

Yes, but it's very common for Thais to believe they are not intended for them, be it warning lights, road signs, road markings (if they even know what they mean). It's always Me First.

• Like 2

From the video i saw earlier, the lights were not working until the exact moment the train arrived!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LennyW said:

From the video i saw earlier, the lights were not working until the exact moment the train arrived!

Out of curiosity, do you have a link for that video? All I have seen is the still photo in the OP.

The Post has a different still photo taken later but no video or CCTV.

Edited by billd766
added extra text

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Words fail me. Not a graphic video but if you are easily disturbed I wouldn't watch it.

If he had just carried on they would have made it. The driver slowed and virtually stopped directly on the tracks for some reason - perhaps others telling him to be careful or stop (before the tracks....) or just plan panic when he saw the train.

Dear oh dear. What an unnecessary waste of life.

I note a total absence of physical barriers (I see lights) which seems unusual where trains are passing at high speed.

Is that now 2 fatal incidents with train and passenger vehicle collisions in just the past few days ?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, realfunster said:

Words fail me. Not a graphic video but if you are easily disturbed I wouldn't watch it.

If he had just carried on they would have made it. The driver slowed and virtually stopped directly on the tracks for some reason - perhaps others telling him to be careful or stop (before the tracks....) or just plan panic when he saw the train.

I note a total absence of physical barriers (I see lights) which seems unusual where trains are passing at high speed.

Is that now 2 fatal incidents with train and passenger vehicle collisions in just the past few days ?

Terrible, the lights were on then they were off until the moment of impact.  I see it daily here, drivers slow almost to a stop and then crawl across the rails as they drive over them.  Not sure what that's about, but I can understand it if you drive one of those lowered to the ground vehicles which has no clearance between the lowest part of the axle and the lowest part of the tires rim, but for christs sake this was a truck.  May the young lady RIP. Questions need to be addressed as far as the crossing lights not working until the moment of impact it seems.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

Very difficult for most of us to comprehend how this could happen. Here in Hua Hin, I use a crossing 2 or 4 times everyday; it has lights and barriers, but without fail, I stop and look both ways before crossing. If there is a vehicle in front of me, I wait until it has completely exited the crossing to make sure that some other fool can’t leave me trapped on the rails  …. very sad .... RIP Natchamee, you will be a long time mourning your sister Yaya

• Like 2

1 hour ago, realfunster said:

Thank you for the video.

The warning lights were flashing before the pickup turned onto the road. but when he turned in they had stopped.

They started again just as he was on the line and were still flashing after the train hit him.

I agree that if he was going faster the train would have missed him.

4 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

Lights or no lights , you should look both ways before crossing.

Coming from parallel to the tracks before abruptly turning left onto them, doubt that he could have seen anything anyway ! Perhaps he ignored a No Entry/Left Turn  sign there, as the traffic has not stopped on that road. Crazy that there appears to be no barrier either !

• Like 1