Internet banking change.

12 hours ago, persimmon said:

This change will be inconvenient for those of us that send money to our KTB account via Wise , and then like to check the account using net banking from outside Thailand .

I don`t mind downloading the App. , but how will it work from outside the country ?

TBH though , I`m not totally surprised they have shut down the Netbank - it was a very basic web site , hardly what you would expect from a major bank .

For the KTB app I am not sure, but I guess it will work from outside the country as you can use WiFi to login.
For the K-Bank app I am sure it works outside, as I have used it many times.

The app and the website are often not the same functionality. Even K-Bank has no deposit account in the app.. only on their website. At the moment the website from K-Bank has much more feature. but this maybe change in near future and more and more function will be available in the app as well.

As of security, always use a VPN, when you are using WiFi outside your home!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

You probably shouldn’t take comfort in this, it is exactly why those branches will be closed… one day.

Why go to the expense of having retail branches if they’re not being used ?

Sooner or later some bean counter on the rise will come up with a way to lower overheads and raise profits, he’ll even get a nice bonus out of it while customers and staff get shafted…

I think it's already happened in the UK. Retail banking is labour intensive and probably far less lucrative than other branches of banking. The real estate value of the outlets is a nice little earner on resale too. I always saw online banking as a godsend. No more paper, queues, parking, etc. But I worked in a cash intensive industry, so had wads of cash that had to be deposited. No way out. Same goes for market traders here, wins, cab drivers, street hustlers etc etc. If the retail banks disappeared from the high street, a lot of people would be left stranded. ATMs with deposit facilities help, but for small change etc, it needs a teller service.

Edited by bradiston
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, HampiK said:

For the KTB app I am not sure, but I guess it will work from outside the country as you can use WiFi to login.
For the K-Bank app I am sure it works outside, as I have used it many times.

The app and the website are often not the same functionality. Even K-Bank has no deposit account in the app.. only on their website. At the moment the website from K-Bank has much more feature. but this maybe change in near future and more and more function will be available in the app as well.

As of security, always use a VPN, when you are using WiFi outside your home!

There is also a possible issue of receiving an OTP abroad. My UK bank has recently (it only took them 10 years) brought in the ability to send an OTP to my Thai number. And my Philippines bank the same. I'm not sure how a Thai OTP works abroad. There have been lengthy discussions in this forum on this topic. Can't remember what the consensus was.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I think it's already happened in the UK. Retail banking is labour intensive and probably far less lucrative than other branches of banking. The real estate value of the outlets is a nice little earner on resale too. I always saw online banking as a godsend. No more paper, queues, parking, etc. But I worked in a cash intensive industry, so had wads of cash that had to be deposited. No way out. Same goes for market traders here, wins, cab drivers, street hustlers etc etc. If the retail banks disappeared from the high street, a lot of people would be left stranded. ATMs with deposit facilities help, but for small change etc, it needs a teller service.

Yes to all that ????????
But even in Thailand eftpos will expand and cash will decline, until the whole shiiteshow falls over and then we’re back to guns and gold.

Edited by HighPriority
Grammar policeman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bradiston said:

There is also a possible issue of receiving an OTP abroad. My UK bank has recently (it only took them 10 years) brought in the ability to send an OTP to my Thai number. And my Philippines bank the same. I'm not sure how a Thai OTP works abroad. There have been lengthy discussions in this forum on this topic. Can't remember what the consensus was.

Never had a problem receiving an OTP abroad.

42 minutes ago, bradiston said:

30 minutes ago, tubber said:

Never had a problem receiving an OTP abroad.

Me too, receiving SMS outside Thailand (free, only activate roaming) is no problem. But be sure you deactivate the Data-Roaming Option.

When outside I still become all the Thai SMS, which I would become while in Thailand.

37 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Yes to all that ????????
But even it Thailand eftpos will expand and cash will decline, until the whole shiiteshow falls over and then we’re back to guns and gold.

I've safeguarded myself for a while.

Did a bigger than usual transfer yesterday, and did all the usual internal transfers, for insurance and bills etc. Now that I'm covered for a couple of months, I'll relax and see what happens.

But on a side note, a relative has returned from Chonburi where she worked as a cashier; so she knows how to handle money. I get on well with her. But importantly she has a really expensive 'smart-phone'. Does video slow-mo; the lot. I've a good mind to ask her if she would download the Krungthai app and help me with money transfers. I'll not tell the wife about the arrangement obviously. Some Thai ladies have a jealous way about them. I could just pop along to see her occasionally, and things would be sorted; double quick.

I'll sleep on that idea for a while; no rush for now.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I've safeguarded myself for a while.

Did a bigger than usual transfer yesterday, and did all the usual internal transfers, for insurance and bills etc. Now that I'm covered for a couple of months, I'll relax and see what happens.

But on a side note, a relative has returned from Chonburi where she worked as a cashier; so she knows how to handle money. I get on well with her. But importantly she has a really expensive 'smart-phone'. Does video slow-mo; the lot. I've a good mind to ask her if she would download the Krungthai app and help me with money transfers. I'll not tell the wife about the arrangement obviously. Some Thai ladies have a jealous way about them. I could just pop along to see her occasionally, and things would be sorted; double quick.

I'll sleep on that idea for a while; no rush for now.

Just be careful that you set it up for account/password login, otherwise the smartphone will use her facial/fingerprint recognition to validate login to your account !!

Even if you do this, you’ll still need to ensure the phone doesn’t save your login details AND that you log out of EVERY banking session you did on her phone. 
I think you should dismiss this option Owl.

Better to bite the bullet and get a smartphone that’s YOURS and then only you can access it. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Just be careful that you set it up for account/password login, otherwise the smartphone will use her facial/fingerprint recognition to validate login to your account !!

Even if you do this, you’ll still need to ensure the phone doesn’t save your login details AND that you log out of EVERY banking session you did on her phone. 
I think you should dismiss this option Owl.

Better to bite the bullet and get a smartphone that’s YOURS and then only you can access it. 

Thanks for that HP. Good advice, well intentioned.

Fortunately I've got time to think about the situation. I'm not rushing into anything. Unfortunately I can't enlist the wife's help. I'll keep an eye on events.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

Same goes for market traders here, wins, cab drivers, street hustlers etc etc. If the retail banks disappeared from the high street, a lot of people would be left stranded. ATMs with deposit facilities help, but for small change etc, it needs a teller service.

If by small change you mean coins then automatic deposit machines do exist for these, although I have not seen them in Thailand, but I have used them on occasion at home.

Though it seems that all but gas stations now accept PromptPay. Not sure what vendors prefer, but majority now have their QR code prominently displayed. Some stores have even invested in payment terminals that can display dynamic QR codes (so customers doesn’t have to type in the amount).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lkn said:

If by small change you mean coins then automatic deposit machines do exist for these, although I have not seen them in Thailand, but I have used them on occasion at home.

Though it seems that all but gas stations now accept PromptPay. Not sure what vendors prefer, but majority now have their QR code prominently displayed. Some stores have even invested in payment terminals that can display dynamic QR codes (so customers doesn’t have to type in the amount).

I've never used a qr code to pay myself but here in Oz, pubs, cafes etc cash is the exception, my dad would be horrified ! ????

17 hours ago, owl sees all said:
18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

KTB is not being discontinued!   Its online banking is, that's all, its Next app isn't, its ATM services aren't.

The KTB netbank service is ending at the end of this month.

Exactly, Krungthai's Netbank service is ending, that's all

KTB (that's an entire bank) is not being "discontinued", as you claimed in your post.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

3 minutes ago, lkn said:

The purple coloured bank in my nearest town has one. Just pour in the coins and your account get credited. First time we did it about 10% of the coins were rejected. Put them through again and the machine took about half this time.

Last time - about mid August 2022 - the machine was behind the counter. We handed over 7 'pringle tubes' of coins. The daughter's acc' out was credited a few days later. Even then we got a few coins returned; only about 200 baht though.

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Exactly, KTB's Netbank service is ending, that's all

Krungthai is not being discontinued, as you claimed!

But if his main access to the bank is via its internet banking software then it is for him.

Rightly or wrongly hes reluctant to move to a smartphone and thats leaving him stuck up a creek without a paddle.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Exactly, Krungthai's Netbank service is ending, that's all

KTB (that's an entire bank) is not being "discontinued", as you claimed in your post.

Thanks for the clarification LL.

561534807_KTB.png.5526937a5c9740ff4255699dbd0d9c12.png

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HighPriority said:
6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Exactly, KTB's Netbank service is ending, that's all

Krungthai is not being discontinued, as you claimed!

But if his main access to the bank is via its internet banking software then it is for him.

Rightly or wrongly hes reluctant to move to a smartphone and thats leaving him stuck up a creek without a paddle.

Yes, that's his inflexibly stubborn issue and it is easily solved.  He aso has access to thousands of ATMs that can provide most of the services.  It strikes me as odd that he's perfectly happy to accept the 'risk' of online banking but not the convenience and security that the phone app provides.

@owl sees all

Have you thought of getting/do you have a tablet ?

Its an iPad or android type thingy.

Sort of like a smartphone that doesn't have a phone ???? but can under certain circumstances... ????

The tablet is like laptop/smartphone hybrid, bigger screen than your phone, but smaller than your laptop, most apps are great to use on them.

They use passcode/fingerprint/facial recognition to keep your stuff safe and for you only.

Various options from cheap and nasty to top of the range iPad/Samsungs are available.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, that's his inflexibly stubborn issue and it is easily solved.  He aso has access to thousands of ATMs that can provide most of the services.  It strikes me as odd that he's perfectly happy to accept the 'risk' of online banking but not the convenience and security that the phone app provides.

I agree that thats the benefit that Mr Owl doesn't understand, the security of smartphones.

But I can also see how daunting they can be to someone who has had no exposure to one.

Edited by HighPriority
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

I agree that thats the benefit that Mr Owl doesn't understand, the security of smartphones.

But I can also see how daunting they can be to someone who has had no exposure to one.

How can any adult in 2023, who's capable of conducting discussions online here, have had no exposure to smartphones (or phones as they are these days) yet has had exposure to, and the ability to use, a computer?!   Doesn't make any sense.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You're welcome, even though, from your highlight there, you clearly still do not understand that it is only the Netbank service of Krungthai Bank that is being discontinued, for which there are alternatives.

Thanks for that LL.

Hope that clears up any confusion, for the members, regarding the bits of the bank that will not be working proper next month.

12 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Who says Mr Owl or anyone needs to make sense to you in here ?

I think you need to dial back your sense of self importance and relevance...

No one said that, nor assumed it, I sure didn't say that was the case.  You do know that this is a forum and what he idea of a forum is, yes?  I was stating my view that his obstinacy doesn't make sense to me.

"I think you need to dial back your sense of self importance and relevance..."

You do?   Well, in your words, I think you need to dial back your lack of ability to interpret my comments and your relevance.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually it can be more than daunting.  My new Samsung fell on floor in first week to become trash (just not hand friendly for pickup from desk).  Another brand spammed me in Chinese (after setting up in English).  Both needed to fed (charged) more than a child.  As it is open knowledge some brands phone home with all info recorded not sure they can be called safe.  Apps are only as safe as the maker makes them.  Then they change (upgrade) every few months to make you learn everything again and keep the app makers busy.  Not to even get into them trying to be smarter than the average bear and never twice operating the same.  Unless needed (and know many need) prefer to remain non internet Nokia phone person.

So you drop your Samsung on the floor, it breaks, and that's somehow the phone's fault? How about your desktop screen? Or your laptop? Or spilling coffee all over the keyboard? Or the mouse packs up, then the infernal touchpad. Then the whole piece of junk freezes. And all the while it's gobbling up electricity. Gotta keep those chips cool. You know those bitcoin mining farms? They use more power than Argentina.

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/crypto/bitcoin-mining-how-much-electricity-it-takes-and-why-people-are-worried/#:~:text=How much energy does mining,for the average US household.

Open knowledge some brands phone home? Links? Apps update. It's usually automatic, but you can control when. Sometimes the developers screw up and the app becomes unusable or whatever. But rarely nowadays.

And on Windows Update. You never had a problem with it? One I know of... It tells me I'm up to date, but when I click "Check for updates", there's 5 waiting. Brilliant programming people. And then the design teams decide to remove the Start button and completely redesign the whole GUI. And now the right click for context menus has brilliantly hidden the 3 items I use most, copy/delete and paste, so I have to click again. Windows! What a total fxxxxx disaster.

Phone. Can't read the screen? Try holding it nearer your face. Can't do that with a laptop. Adjust the text size and brightness. Oh right, you can do that on windows. Just 9 clicks. To hell with it.

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It strikes me as odd that he's perfectly happy to accept the 'risk' of online banking but not the convenience and security that the phone app provides.

Christ, there's a lot more risk and lack of security with phone apps. And convenience? Surely sitting down in front of my desktop, with a keyboard I mastered in high school, and a screen I can readily read -- is far superior than a smartphone. That I can't conduct business in a busy, loud restaurant -- I'd never put myself in that predicament. [But, of course, I'd have my cellphone available for inconvenient emergencies.]

But, hey, if you've got 20 year old eyes, and fingers unaffected with arthritis -- go for it. But even so, your risk with a cellphone is greater than mine, conversing over 3BB fiber -- where old tried and true OTP has never made the headlines as being broken.

• Like 1