British diving instructor found dead on Thailand’s Koh Tao under ‘mysterious’ circumstances

webfact

27 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The word "average" is important; to get an average age of 69, there must be many a lot younger (30s, 40s and 50s) and many a lot older.

My argument was based on a good reason to perform an autopsy, not to deny many young people die an natural death because of a born genetic defect or because of lifestyle.

We have learned now, all foreigners who die outside hospital, should be sent for an autopsy. 

On 1/24/2023 at 2:13 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Maybe the British embassy can get involved like they did with Hannah and her boyfriend...but way after the fact...unfortunate.

The Embassy will be involved, obviously, as a UK citizen has died here.   The Embassy doesn't do investigations, though.

21 hours ago, BritScot said:

Recently it has become very common for young fit males to drop dead from heart related issues.  A direct line can be drawn to something that occurs on mass but shhhhh we are not allowed to mention it!!!

Nothing has been occurring "on mass" or even en masse.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, steven100 said:

It's hard to believe how gullible some on here are thinking Koh Tao is fine and he died of natural causes,

I call it absolute BS as most of Thailand is the same. He did not die of being 47yrs old.

"He did not die of being 47yrs old".

And some people would call that "absolute BS" as you have no idea how he did, or didn't, die.

1 hour ago, whereyougo said:

Young elite athletes have been known to drop dead on the field due to undiagnosed heart issues so can happen to anybody and 48 ain't no spring chicken

Very uncommon but yes, i guess it happens.

12 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I would have thought that he would have preferred it if any murderers were arrested and charged , rather than them getting away with it  

Apart from here, where has there been any suggestion that he "was murdered and that a murderer is getting away with it"?

7 hours ago, robblok said:

The only times you need a lil fitness if you dive at a place with a current. Most dives are not dives with a current.

Agree. I dived in Komodo where there are extreme currents. You need to be fit if you want to dive against the currents  but when diving in calm tropical waters with good visibility you could have average health. Saying that, diving everyday and if you are drinking every night. This is a very unhealthy combination and could take its toll on your health. I am not saying the guy who passed away was drinking every night, but I bet many of the non thai dive masters/instructors are drinking too much.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

And no one has said that a postmortem will not be performed.

I'm not going use much time on this, but it was a debate in the beginning of the thread based on the admins heading and article. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Hummin said:
6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

And no one has said that a postmortem will not be performed.

I'm not going use much time on this, but it was a debate in the beginning of the thread based on the admins heading and article. 

...neither of which reported that a postmortem would not be performed.

On 1/24/2023 at 5:28 AM, robblok said:

Whatever your family wants is not important. They only do this when its suspicious (just like in my country). But what is suspicious about someone dying in his sleep on a sofa under a blanket in his underewear. Unless clear signs of poisoning or violence there is no need.  

At least that is how it goes in my country.. but it s more what is the rule in Thailand. I doubt that every body gets an autopsy. 

How to know if poison or not if not doing an autopsy? Easy to place a dead person on a sofa with a blanket.

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Nothing has been occurring "on mass" or even en masse.

I think you will find it has. Excess Deaths all over the world and increases in cardiac problems. Some very good data out of Taiwan who Electrocardiogramed youngsters before and then after a certain medical procedure and the findings are horrifying.... The truth will out. One should never forget about the Thalidomide Scandal and the fact they new for 8 years before it was actually cancelled.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Which authority has determined that there was "something wrong with his heart" and where has it been reported that a postmortem will not be performed?

That was a reply to a post about a relative of @robblok who died at at relatively young age, and who, according to @robblok "had something wrong with his heart."

It was not a reference to the British diving instructor who was the original subject of the thread.

Thailand has good  pathologists and it is normal in any police investigation and suspicious death to conduct an autopsy  with 48 hours ,, but KoTao is not run by the Thai state it is run by a Cabal of influential Thai families   like a mafia Clan   . many of the members hold positions in Town hall  , local government police etc    , many Thais  know of the places reputation and would never visit and many ordinary Thai locals  live in fear of the families  they are exploited  for bribes , tea money for pitches or  just making a living  any who complain get punished lose jobs  or worse , so without streams of ingnorant  naive foreigners  the place would fail. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Which specific Koh Tao deaths have remained "unexplained"?

IIRC the Indian billionaire couple.  One of the suspected suicides was never really investigated either as I recall, but there were several reports that she was depressed and isolated.  In the old days though there was definately people disappeared without investigation.  It was pre Facebook, pre Mobile Phone, and pre ATM though, so it was easy for people to get "lost" in Thailand.

All that said... the average person (myself included) is not going to be privvy to what happens after a death is out of the news cycle.

Edited by tjo o tjim

On 1/24/2023 at 11:30 AM, robblok said:

we BELIEVE no autopsy has been done

so what happened to him

assume everything you have been told or read is BS

unless you actually attended and saw with your own eyes - then sorry but they are just words, they can say and report whatever or what they are instructed to say and report, does not mean it is fact, did this guy have a gf, I wonder where she is ................. in hiding ?, in fear

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Hard to see how a dive instructor can't be fit and healthy.

You're lugging air tanks and weight belts around all the time.

Then there's lots of swimming, assisting the tourists on and off the boats, dragging the tourists that ran out of steam along in the water etc.

Seriously... When did you dive for the last time in Thailand. ? Dive instructors are not the ones lugging the air tanks and weight belts are setup in the morning. The swimming is a breeze.

I think you have a strange idea of what a divemaster does. Maybe because you dived in the UK and have not worked here. Here the lower minions or even the clients themselves take the tanks. I have dived in december. Carried my own tanks (just like other clients) and dive instructors were  not used like mules. Also I have in all my diving never seen a dive master assisting tourists that ran out of steam.

Maybe where you dived there were lots of currents but what you describe does not happen much on dives in Thailand. Diving is a really slow sport where you go through the water at a slow pace to see as much as possible. There are a few diving spots with current but i have yet to see a dive instructor pulling a client.

• Like 1