Germany set to send Leopard 2 tanks to Ukraine, Der Spiegel reports

Scott

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The longer I read this thread the more I'm convinced that some on it get their ideas of war from movies. War is always messy and rarely goes the way it is intended. A large part of winning is down to blind luck, rather than intent.

As the Russians have learned much to their regret.

• Haha 2

I tend to agree with Northstar1's  comment ....

Let Russia accidently or on purpose land 1 rocket in a NATO country and then let NATO blow Moscow of the face of the earth before it has any chance of using their nuclear arsenal. 

That will end Putin & many other dispictable murderous cronies,  for the good of humanity get rid of them.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Tug said:

You do realize that Putin used hitlers verbatim excuse for invasion to protect the Russian speaking people so just stop it the west won’t abandon Ukraine ???????? the west will not tolerate a war of conquest especially in Europe the free world is providing Ukraine with the tools to protect its sielf slava Ukraine ???????? another poster said Germany is in a way making reparations I agree it’s kinda a karmic pay back if you will bless them for it they have come full circle 

The hoary Putin is Hitler argument ???? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bannork said:

From the article: "Die Instandsetzung dieser Fahrzeuge würde ein knappes Jahr dauern. Eine Auslieferung wäre Ende 2023/Anfang 2024 möglich."

The preparation would take almost a year.

A delivery is possible end of 2023 or beginning of 2024.

1 hour ago, BarraMarra said:

Your forgetting the west also has Nuclear, and if attacked Russia will be reduced to Cinders. As I stated there will be a Royal Navy Trident Submarine ready to launch on Russia in Range if needed. It will not be land-based so cannot be located underwater. S. I wouldn't be worried Thai Beach.

It seems you think all people in war thing rationally. Here is a surprise for you: They don't!

20 minutes ago, rabas said:

Poland has 240 Leopard tanks,  other NATO countries have many more.  The important thing is that Germany has given permission for these to be sent to Ukraine.

Yes.

But Poland and other NATO countries sending Leopard tanks is not the same as Germany sending them.

For Ukraine it might be the same, they get the tanks which they want.

For world politics there is a huge difference. Germany and Germans are reluctant to send offensive weapons to war regions - for a good reason. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, bannork said:

You'll survive on a Thai beach you love, just hone your fishing skills for food.

You say if it came to it, but what does that mean? No one is threatening to invade Russia.

I see you are not aware that in a nuclear war we all died, only scorpions seem to survive in a radioactive way.

• Haha 1

What happens when soldiers who are not properly trained are sent into battle with unfamiliar equipment and weapons?   The only way to avoid disaster is to have embedded advisors.  I know this sounds like Vietnam but western Tanks and equipment are technically more complex than those made in Russia.  NATO should at least consider civilian technical advisors along with the tanks and other equipment.  

Simple question is this:  How long does it take to train a soldier to become a competent tank mechanic?  For the US Army at a minimum a 6 month technical school and almost a year of On The Job Training and Mentoring. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

I tend to agree with Northstar1's  comment ....

Let Russia accidently or on purpose land 1 rocket in a NATO country and then let NATO blow Moscow of the face of the earth before it has any chance of using their nuclear arsenal. 

That will end Putin & many other dispictable murderous cronies,  for the good of humanity get rid of them.

Evidently you don't know the nuclear capability of Russia and its atomic submarines, and of many hidden atomic bases, you are convinced that all Russian military will surrender when Moscow is destroyed.

It's an option I wouldn't want to take.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1