What to do if Thai police stop you and attempt a ‘shake-down’

snoop1130

13 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The Taiwanese actress said they were prevented from calling or filming. The 'rules', the advice, in this article doesn't relate to the real world and frightened and intimidated folk going about their innocent business - unlike the police. If Thailand didn't have a police force it would cut the crime rate by half.

You see this is a major part of why I will always disagree with anything people like you say, because you completely ignore the parts you can't see or imagine. If there was no police force, the drug trade in Thailand would swamp the country in no time and chaos would ensue, the economy would just collapse. The Thai police do a decent job of taming that industry and protecting people. They also do a very good job of managing Thai on Thai crime, which is something they understand and which most foreigners never see. Too many farangs seem to think the sole reason for  the existence of the RTP is to milk farangs and conveniently overlook everything else, it's like farangs once again want to be the center of attention, just like the story that their 800k baht is propping up the economy. People should get over themselves.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TheFishman1 said:

Yes, the article is mostly common sense. The problem is the corruption at the checkpoints corruption at the police station, and basically corruption from the top to the bottom TIT

When people say "police check points", I guess they refer to the motorbike checks that are set up for a few hours in various locations. In the North, when I think of checkpoints, I think of those set up on major North South roads (and backroads) to look for illegals and drugs, those are the most common ones for me and that's where I'm likely to be stopped because nobody is immune and the police there are not looking to rip off foreigners, they are there doing their job. The motor bike check points that other see, they are NEVER a problem for me, I am ALWAYS waved straight thru because I drive a truck and my road tax is always up to date. Opinions are formed based on what people see mostly, just don't forget to imagine the rest because it's the much bigger part.

• Like 1

This piece should be circulated widely to Tourist Organisations worldwide together with the original news stories regarding the Taiwanese Actress./Celeb. CC to TAT of course ! 

the Dept. Of Foreign Affairs in every decent country would already know about most scams that are common in most popular tourist destinations around the globe , but it's no harm to update them .

For my part a relative has a senior position within the diplomatic service and I have already passed copies of the relevant news items to him. 

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Secondly, the vast majority of Thai police are there to do a job, protecting fellow Thais and foreign visitors.

The article went wrong at the 2nd sentence.  How many tourists in Pattaya have have been protected against taxi drivers not using meters in the last TEN YEARS?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, mikebell said:

The article went wrong at the 2nd sentence.  How many tourists in Pattaya have have been protected against taxi drivers not using meters in the last TEN YEARS?

I suspect it is not their job to ensure taxi drivers use their meters.... it is unlikely they are even breaking any law. We see here the passengers are the ones quickly brought under scrutiny. 

It is my understanding that all police check road block must have an officer present and must display a phone number that you can call.   Not sure that calling the phone number will be of much use as it is a police number but it will demonstrate that you are aware of the law.   The question then comes "Are the police manning the road block aware of the law ?"

• Like 1

Whatever the police want as a payment will be a lot less than the trouble you’ll have to go through if you choose to refuse their on-the-spot offer.

Yup, the same in every country with underpaid cops seeking to "supplement" their income ????

When I went on a windsurfing vacation in the Baja California, as soon as I crossed the border in Tijuana, a motorcycle cop pulled me over.

First he said I shouldn't drink coffee while driving.

Then he said I had too much cargo in the back of the hatchback and couldn't see out the back window.

I had already given him my driver's license and made the mistake of telling him I wouldn't pay a "mordida" (slang word for bribe, literally means a little bite) he winced and told me to follow him down to the police station in my car.

At the station I asked to speak with the "El Jefe" (male boss) and they corrected me "La Jefe" (female boss).

I think she asked for a $50 fine, which I negotiated down to $20, saying the offense wasn't illegal in America because I have rear view  mirrors on each side of the car.

Could have probably gave the original cop a $10 bribe and it would have saved over an hour spent at the police station, plus saved me $10.

THE END. ????

Edited by SiSePuede419
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Neeranam said:

The tourist police are useless.

I think the point here is that by asking to call tourist police or interpreter is that you will cause them to potentially lose time, so if it's a bad cop looking for an easy victim they'll likely let you go and move on to another one that will be easier to scam.

• Like 1

Just now, FarangFB said:

I think the point here is that by asking to call tourist police or interpreter is that you will cause them to potentially lose time, so if it's a bad cop looking for an easy victim they'll likely let you go and move on to another one that will be easier to scam.

Generally, offering resistance is likely to be beneficial so long as you do not cause a loss of face. Perhaps all bets are off though once they find a good wedge of money!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Don’t agree to leave the immediate area you have been stopped, even if they insist that you go to the police station 

I can't imagine anyone thinks this is a good idea? Aren't we supposed to "comply" with the police?

IMO, Phipat and the TAT need to issue an informative graphic novel/cartoon which details the exact rules and regulations for tourists, what to expect at traffic stops, and their dealings with the police. Also provide a price list for "fees" associated with infractions.

And, assuming vaping is some sort of major problem in Thai society, then make sure all tourists are aware of the rules/laws/enforcement and fines. Provide signage, and drop bins at the entrance to the Customs channels. Have tourists who've been arrested agree to make PSA videos. "Hi, my name is Jill, I spent 30 days in a Thai jail for vaping, and paid a 20,000 baht fine. Do not Vape!" Maybe Ms. An could make such a video?

Never had a problem in twenty years.The only times I have been stopped is when I have made a mistake such as driving in a bus lane. The ticket is written and I pay the bill. if they demand too much ask for the ticket and the price will come down to about ฿400.

• Thumbs Up 2

I/we get stopped occasionally on the island but its very rare now.

Usually any road stops we see is random license checks/sweeps for falangs around Patong or Phuket Town, the occasional random-booze checkpoint, or when the BiB are looking for a specific crim after an incident it seems.

I haven't seen any incidents of shake-downs or had any expats share with me hearing of any but that's no definitive measure of that not happening.

Most of my friends here are law-abiding, boring, straight living, folks lol ????.

If you ride a bike then yep you'll get stopped more often for sure and if there's a problem with your licensing you'll get 'worked over' for sure. 

If you have a valid Thai license, have a decent tidy looking car, don't break the law, aren't full of guilt about something and smelling of that, speak respectfully and with a little Thai thrown in my experience is usually a good one.

I always go and smile and shake the hands with the officers if its a real solid stop, ask how they are in my pom pasa thai pood mai dee and give them bottles of iced water from the car-cooler, which they are grateful for and love.

The cops here on the island are okay with you if you're cool. When we drive off to play a round of gold on the mainland usually travel with a few Thais friends so any contact with the BiB is always fine.

• Like 1

Paying bribes is ingrained in Thai culture. I spent most of my working life in Germany which really does have clean law abiding police. At the firm I was working for we had a high ranking Thai partner come over for talks, he was given the use of a company car and was advised to drive carefully as Germans use the right lane not the left. He just grinned and said he carried enough Euros to pay off the police. My boss almost had a mental breakdown explaining if he attempted to bribe he would be led off in handcuffs and would appear in court, no mercy shown. He shook his head in astonishment, he just couldn't understand it.

Quite useless and conflicting "advice";

1. If they start talking about a fine, or a pay off, whatever the situation, just politely refuse saying that you’re waiting for an interpreter, consular official or tourist police.

2. ...be prepared to negotiate an on-the-spot fine and payment. Whatever the police want as a payment will be a lot less than the trouble you’ll have to go through if you choose to refuse their on-the-spot offer. If the Tourist Police, or a consular official, advise you to pay up, do so – they’ve been in these situations a hundred times before.

Point 1; "whatever the situation" refuse.

Point 2; Pay and shut up.

45 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I suspect it is not their job to ensure taxi drivers use their meters.... it is unlikely they are even breaking any law. We see here the passengers are the ones quickly brought under scrutiny. 

I think there is a police hot-line in Bangkok where disgruntled passengers can report this offence; periodically some of the fraudsters are fined 1000 baht.

3 minutes ago, The Old Bull said:

Never had a problem in twenty years.The only times I have been stopped is when I have made a mistake such as driving in a bus lane. The ticket is written and I pay the bill. if they demand too much ask for the ticket and the price will come down to about ฿400.

That's expensive, I did a forbidden U turn and was stopped in the busy bus station where it happened at 10 km/h. The policeman just pointed at the sign, put his clipboard on the windowsill with his open hand underneath and said 200 Baht is easy for for you, it was.

The most important item I get from all this--and 30+ years in LOS, is don't raise your voice or get angry and make the police--and yourself, lose face. That's a BIG deal over here. It doesn't mean that much in some western countries but Asia is different, it's a cultural thing. Raising your voice won't accomplish anything except to make the police more agitated. Keep your cool no matter how bad the situation seems.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

The most important item I get from all this--and 30+ years in LOS, is don't raise your voice or get angry and make the police--and yourself, lose face. That's a BIG deal over here. It doesn't mean that much in some western countries but Asia is different, it's a cultural thing. Raising your voice won't accomplish anything except to make the police more agitated. Keep your cool no matter how bad the situation seems.

Just call them Kwai and drive on...

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Nice, no chips on your shoulder.

Article is not bad advice. In the past, have found feigning ignorance of Thai and anything they say in English can cause them some frustration and move you along out of their hair.

Sort of like:

Q.  Where you live? 

A.  Eh?

Q.  Where come from?

A.  Wot?

Q.  How long you stay?

A.  Huh!

Tried this many moons ago and was eventually told to go away lol.

Yes, the war of attrition works most of the time,

Don't forget to act like the village idiot too

Some on here will find that easier than others.......

• Haha 2