John Cleese - Basil Fawlty set to RETURN !

Social Media

16 hours ago, JayClay said:

There's a lot riding on this. The originals are considered all-time classics.

I hope they do a good job. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing it.

I hope so too.
It would make a refreshing change for the BBC to make a comedy that is actually funny.

Seems that the writers nowadays think that inserting F*** or C*** every 5 minutes makes a show funny.

It doesn't! It just makes me cringe.

• Like 1

Really sad that JC needs to do this to pay for his alimony payments - how many divorces has he had now? At 83 he still has to keep working? "Hold the sunset" was unwatchable, couldn't get past the second episode. I hope I am proved wrong and this turns out to be a comedy classic.

• Like 1

I have no faith that this will be funny in the same vein as the original. But of course I'll watch at least 2 or 3 episodes to give it a fair try. His performance in the last sitcom series he was in playing a  grumpy old man with a soft side, was quite lacklustre. 

The Monty Python team reformed to do a tour a few years ago, basically to support Cleese, who'd just lost the rest of his money to another gold-digger. (He really seems attracted to them ????).

He must be either senile or skint (possibly a combination of) to want to pish on the legend of Fawlty Towers, by re-making it. Hopefully, not for the box-ticking robots at the BBC, anyway.

On 2/8/2023 at 6:33 AM, transam said:

Something to look forward too.....????

Highly unlikely.

The original had a fabulous script and 50% of the writers are not involved.

The original had a fantastic cast but they are all now 50 years older or dead.

Sequels rarely succeed because the magic of the original cannot (or will not) be recreated. (The Italian Job, Mary Poppins etc)

This is also highly unlikely to be made by the BBC so the sets won't be wobbly. It might get picked up by Netflix if it has any success but as it appears to have no distribution, that might be just tricky

18 hours ago, nglodnig said:

Really sad that JC needs to do this to pay for his alimony payments - how many divorces has he had now? At 83 he still has to keep working? "Hold the sunset" was unwatchable, couldn't get past the second episode. I hope I am proved wrong and this turns out to be a comedy classic.

or maybe he's working because he likes too?

14 hours ago, mrfill said:

Highly unlikely.

The original had a fabulous script and 50% of the writers are not involved.

The original had a fantastic cast but they are all now 50 years older or dead.

Sequels rarely succeed because the magic of the original cannot (or will not) be recreated. (The Italian Job, Mary Poppins etc)

This is also highly unlikely to be made by the BBC so the sets won't be wobbly. It might get picked up by Netflix if it has any success but as it appears to have no distribution, that might be just tricky

Forget your crystal ball, let's wait and see, I am sure Basil has thought of all that......:stoner:

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Social Media said:

Inevitable.

There is no way the teasing of Manuel or the jokes about the war would be tolerated by the Wokies. Imagine if he did the Hitler walk!! There would be millenials all over Twitter crying into their iPhone cameras about how they are "literally in tears, just SO  offended". ????

He'll probably be arrested for thought crimes for even considering the idea. What do they call it now? A non crime hate incident? 

Unless of course he's joking. Doublespeak, if you like... That WOULD be funny.