British police head to Thailand over woman's 2004 Yorkshire Dales death

webfact

39 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

15 years to identify?  she had a visa with her name on it presumably?  why no report she was missing?  why no one asks "where's your wife"?  why he not go to the Police "hey my wife and mother of my kids is missing have you found any Thais in UK"?  come on...

Christ, read the timeline, this isn't rocket science

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Well David Armitage, I bet you thought that after more than 18 years this was well and truly forgotten. However, if you are in any way responsible, remember, there is no statute of limitation in UK law with regards to murder or manslaughter …. and plod does like a cold case.

Revenge or Karma can very often take a longtime and both enjoyed cold so they tell me.

6 hours ago, Dcheech said:

She was found in 2004, then identified in March of 2019

March 2019?!!!!   Four years later they decide to investigate?!   What The -deleted- !   

The delay was initially caused by covid lockdowns and then waiting for permission from the Thai authorities.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, shackleton said:

Seems strange that the husband did not report her missing plus photos ect 

See what the investigation brings up when the British police talk to the husband 

Yes agree. How on earth can a wife / husband/ child disappear and no one reports it ? Or did he report it and it’s not mentioned in the news reports ? I would say 90% chance he’s responsible if he didn’t report her disappearance and he didn’t contact her family. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dcheech said:

That is it?! 

Like I said;  What The -deleted- were they doing for four years. Sitting aorund talking about how hard they had it as kids. This is a combination 4 yorkshire men & gumby's skit. 

Excuse me but aren't the Yorkshire police the ones who couldn't or wouldn't do anything about the grooming happening under their noses ..sorry might be wrong ..just sayin

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2023 at 5:15 PM, geisha said:

Yes agree. How on earth can a wife / husband/ child disappear and no one reports it ? Or did he report it and it’s not mentioned in the news reports ? I would say 90% chance he’s responsible if he didn’t report her disappearance and he didn’t contact her family. 

It sounds like the husband was living in Thailand in proximity to the family, although the news stories are vague about this.

When the lady disappeared, the husband was presumably still living in Britain with the two children. Even if the lady had run away with another man, she never contacted her children. That would prompt an inquiry by the husband, under normal circumstances.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/14/2023 at 3:27 AM, BritManToo said:

My advice to him, refuse to talk to the police.

They have no evidence, so don't give them any.

If he goes down the "no comment" route or refuses to be interviewed then that will cast further suspicion on him. True they might lack evidence. Will be interesting to see how this proceeds.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

If he goes down the "no comment" route or refuses to be interviewed then that will cast further suspicion on him. True they might lack evidence. Will be interesting to see how this proceeds.

My brief (who was very good) always used to tell me to say... 

I don't think I was there

I can't remember

And never to say anything when he wasn't there. 

Presumably the chap has the right to be represented by a British lawyer. Hope the police brought one with them. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I can't remember

Presumably the chap has the right to be represented by a British lawyer. Hope the police brought one with them. 

Unfortunately, the second we start volunteering information we're in their narrative-it's like stepping in quick sand. The big mistake is to assume that the police are fair or only interested in the truth.  If you're a suspect, whether guilty or not it's best to be polite but essentially unhelpful.

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Unfortunately, the second we start volunteering information we're in their narrative-it's like stepping in quick sand. The big mistake is to assume that the police are fair or only interested in the truth.  If you're a suspect, whether guilty or not it's best to be polite but essentially unhelpful.

Absoutely correct! Police are employed to find reasons to prosecute people. They have methods of tripping you up during questioning. They 'strengthen' evidence. They did it to me.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 6:35 AM, wadman said:

The husband not reporting her missing may not be as incredible as it sounds.  Best as I can piece things together from several news articles, this is what happened:

- in 2004, Thai wife leaves her husband, goes back to Thailand for 1 month.  While there she had at least 1 phone call with her children in England, so they know she is in Thailand.

- she then returns to England, but it is unclear as to whether she returned to the husband, and whether he even knew that she had returned to England

- if the husband didn't know that she had returned, then as far as he was concerned "she went back to Thailand to marry another man".  Which is what he told their 2 kids, and what they believed until the body was identified in 2019

- the son was around 12 years old in 2004 (when the wife disappeared), so he was plenty old enough to understand things.  If the wife had returned to live with her husband (and his parents), and subsequently disappeared, the son would not believe that she would be in Thailand.  In 2016, the son visited his maternal grandparents in their village in Udon Thani, wanting to invite his mom to his wedding.  He was still in the belief that she was living in that area.

So the son believed the lies of his father.

On 2/14/2023 at 6:14 PM, Bkk Brian said:

Bit more info on him here when the Sun caught up with him in Kanchanaburi 2 or 3 years ago.

And after The Sun tracked David Armitage down to his remote home in Thailand – where he moved after she vanished - he made his position over her death perfectly clear.

“I’m bored with it all,” he said. “I just want to get on with work.”

https://www.the-sun.com/news/495013/lady-of-the-hills-husband-says-hes-bored-of-it-all-as-he-faces-fresh-probe-over-mysterious-murder-of-thai-bride-wife/

Jeez, what a piece of sht. 

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I can't remember

Or they could ask the Thai police to detain him here for a while as he is a murder suspect. Maybe his memory improves after a year or so.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Haha 2

If the Thai police don't get any answers to their questions then maybe his visa won't get renewed. From the news, he's not at work so perhaps his employer may wash their hands of him too. He needs to be seen to be co-operating. Unless he's got something to hide...

On 2/14/2023 at 9:01 AM, Dcheech said:

She was found in 2004, then identified in March of 2019

March 2019?!!!!   Four years later they decide to investigate?!   What The -deleted- !   

What the <deleted>!?  Reading the article properly is never a bad thing before hitting the keyboard...

"The investigation has been at a standstill for three years because attempts by police to travel to the country were delayed by the legal permissions needed and travel restrictions imposed due to Covid.

Mr Harland said getting to Thailand was what "they had been waiting to do for what seems like a lifetime".

Just now, proton said:
2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Based on no charges or evidence?  Yeah, right.

You don't usually need evidence here, circumstantial evidence is still evidence though.

"You don't usually need evidence here..."

Yes, you do.

"...circumstantial evidence is still evidence though".

What circumstantial evidence are you guessing that they have and, if there is some, why wouldn't the British police have used it?