British woman, 20, left for dead in hit and run motorbike crash faces being thrown out of Thai hospital despite horrifying injuries after being hit with £40,000 medical bill

webfact

What kind of people travel abroad with no proper health/accident , rent bikes in a country that has the worst death toll on roads....and then complain ?

Full sympathy for the poor girl, no misunderstandings please.

But at one point something should be done as nothing is for free and misfortune does not only hit others. Wish all the best to the girl and her family.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is from Koh Samui Hospital with some editing:

Oversea Insurance
An insurance operated by the international company. Which is designed to meet the needs of travelers or tourists. 

How to claim medical expenses coverage?
Outpatient and emergency 
With the conditions of different international business hours and long processing times, a hospital reserves the right by requiring patients to pay for a hospital expense by themselves. The hospital will prepare a medical certificate and receipt for patients to process the claim on their own.

https://www1.samuihospital.go.th/weben/how-to-use.php

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, kwilco said:

A problem arises in Thailand when renting a bike. ome of the newer strep-throughs are actually over 125cc so people may inadvertently be riding uninsured

They should read their insurance policy, not as though it is hard to find a 125cc scoot to rent.

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Even if a slight chance of using a motorcycle it's worth including it on travel insurance, they might change their mind once here, but yes an IDP or Thai licence is required

Yes people do, coincidentally saw a Bond movie and there was 007 on the back of a little scooter buzzing around Jamaica without a helmet!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

They should read their insurance policy, not as though it is hard to find a 125cc scoot to rent.

Did she have a international drivers license that wasn't expired ? The insurance company will always try and find something in a situation like this. 

She was 20. She probably had no prior motorcycle experience at all. 

On 2/17/2023 at 1:28 PM, Jonathan Swift said:

Which Thailand are you living in? I have been to Phaya Thai 1 hospital many many times, from routine treatments to several emergencies, and that includes dental work. I have consistently been treated with sensitivity and compassion, and the professionals there are exemplary in their dedication. I did it all as an outpatient and including meds I have never paid much more than about $300 US. I have been equally satisfied with other hospitals including Bangkok Hospital, where I got my Covid booster. But go ahead and complain, it's probably all you know how to do, and clearly you're not happy unless you're complaining about something. One experience does not define an entire country. And I find your toilet story dubious. There are numerous people online who make up stories to embellish a point. I'm personally quite happy here after 10 years, and have never encountered nor directly heard of anything such as you describe. BTW, did your dead neighbor complain about being left on the floor? Did you even so much as help get him onto a bed? 

Wow, thats a bit abusive isnt it.

Caling people a liar because they happen to.mention a story and you dont like it

What you having done at hospital, ingrowing toenail pulled out, never paid more than 300 USD inc meds, now that's a joke

Edited by 2008bangkok

1 hour ago, Harsh Jones said:

Did she have a international drivers license that wasn't expired ?

Thats a question for her mate, not me.

But as there is no such thing as an international drivers licence I suspect she did not.

Edited by Ralf001

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I live with a Thai woman and have a Thai child, so I'm not a tourist and so require a Thai driving licence.

In your learned opinion,

1. Do both conditions, cohabiting with a Thai woman and fathering a child with her, have to be met for you not to be a tourist, or does either of the two conditions by itself give the same result?

2.. Is the nationality of the woman relevant?

6 minutes ago, Puccini said:

In your learned opinion,

1. Do both conditions, cohabiting with a Thai woman and fathering a child with her, have to be met for you not to be a tourist, or does either of the two conditions by itself give the same result?

2.. Is the nationality of the woman relevant?

I would say owning anything significant in Thailand would result in you needing a Thai D/L.

Ownership of the m/c you are driving being the obvious item the police should ask about.

Next they would ask to see the VISA in your passport.

13 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

No the government should not "step up" and subsidize poor judgement by foreigners. There are risks involved in renting motorcycles on some of the most dangerous roads in the world. 

Imagine there was some govt scheme to cover the medical costs of foreigners who crash bikes. Then even more of them would be on the road. Because there'd be less incentive not to

I think there should be a mandatory warning about insurance or lack of insurance when motorcycles are rented. Nothing to do with the gov't providing insurance. 

7 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

It's a good idea to read their policies - in fact I'd say that was a given.

The problem is identifying the engine size of some of the rentals.

Example - the Yamaha Nouvo. in standard form it is 110 cc whereas in liquid cooled form it is 135 cc.

50 to 110 cc is still the biggest category followed by over 110 to 125 the over 125 to 250cc category has increase dramatically in the last 5 years or so.

I think the average m/c renter wll not identify the engine size of te vehicle they are renting.

6 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

Did she have a international drivers license that wasn't expired ? The insurance company will always try and find something in a situation like this. 

She was 20. She probably had no prior motorcycle experience at all. 

You (and the woman involved) need an IDP - international Drivers Permit.

This is issued in you home country.

The permit is ani internationally agreed "translation" of your own driving licence.

It has on it the categories of vehicle you are permitted to drive - to ride a M/C in Thailand you need a FULL motorcycle licence - show you must have passed all parts of your motorcycle certification in t UK - I take it you have?

car licence is not sufficient

THe current IDP lasts for 3 years or as long as your own licence whichever is the sooner. - if your home licence changes or expires then your IDP is no longer valid.

If asked, you are required to produce both your home licence and IDP so you should carry both.

Edited by kwilco
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/24/2023 at 5:07 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Even if a slight chance of using a motorcycle it's worth including it on travel insurance, they might change their mind once here, but yes an IDP or Thai licence is required

I think my insurance applied even if only a pillion passenger- helmet and size of bike, licensed driver etc.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, kwilco said:

so they should leave these people to die?

Thailand is not a nanny state. People from welfare paradises often forget that all the world is not as their country.

Do the research, protect yourself, don't blame the country you visited if it's your mistake.

Far as I know, even western countries are only obliged to do first aid, and are not liable to carry out follow up procedures.

• Love It 1

16 hours ago, d4dang said:

I think there should be a mandatory warning about insurance or lack of insurance when motorcycles are rented. Nothing to do with the gov't providing insurance. 

Putting the onus on the supplier not the consumer? Has a ring of things always being someone else's fault.

There probably is a warning on the contract you sign when renting a bike, nobody reads it. I recall there is a section saying what you are likely responsible for if you damage it.... doesn't come with much insurance. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I would say owning anything significant in Thailand would result in you needing a Thai D/L.

Ownership of the m/c you are driving being the obvious item the police should ask about.

Next they would ask to see the VISA in your passport.

The one time I was stopped by the cops at checkpoint in Chiang Mai they only looked at registration and my driving licence. Didn't ask for my passport. I thought it a bit strange at the time. After my accident and I was lying on the ground bleeding, all the cop wanted was my driving licence.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

After my accident and I was lying on the ground bleeding,

You were on a motorbike in Thailand?  Were you aware of how dangerous the roads were?

We all yell at her for not having money, but SHE WAS LEFT FOR DEAD.

When you are in that much pain, who cares about money.    

Farangs, go crash your bike with proper insurance....it will still hurt.

most dangerous roads in the world, you will crash

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think my insurance applied even if only a pillion passenger- helmet and size of bike, licensed driver etc.

i checked that once with the insurers before buying, it covered pillion but only if driver legal, they confirmed in an email. Taxi bikes are often not licenced properly, wrong plates, should be yellow or orange i forget which one

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BananaStrong said:

The system is different from back home, driving styles are unique, not the safest but the traffic keeps flowing.

If you're elderly, fragile, unskilled, Incompetent yes things won't go well for you on Thai roads. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BananaStrong said:

You were on a motorbike in Thailand?  Were you aware of how dangerous the roads were?

We all yell at her for not having money, but SHE WAS LEFT FOR DEAD.

Farangs, go crash your bike with proper insurance....it will still hurt.

Yes I rode a m'bike in LOS. I rode it for thousands of miles in LOS when added up. I was also an experienced m'bike rider in own country.

Yes, I understood the risks.

However, nothing could have avoided being driven into while I was stationary by a driver not looking where he was going, other than being psychic, which I'm not.

The hospital does. Can't pay, don't expect much.

Don't like it, don't ride a m'bike in LOS.

53 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thailand is not a nanny state. People from welfare paradises often forget that all the world is not as their country.

Do the research, protect yourself, don't blame the country you visited if it's your mistake.

Far as I know, even western countries are only obliged to do first aid, and are not liable to carry out follow up procedures.

And foremost take responsibility for yourself. 

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So let them die, then?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Would point out Thailand is a nanny state with free health care for all Thai citizens.

They don't care much about foreigners though.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cricky said:

The system is different from back home, driving styles are unique, not the safest but the traffic keeps flowing.

If you're elderly, fragile, unskilled, Incompetent yes things won't go well for you on Thai roads. 

I see many accidents from my social media pages, 99% of accidents are caused by Incompetence or excessive speed or both. 

Look at these stupid road users. 

Woman on bike..... idiot 

Woman driving car....... idiot 

Drivers should be more aware and more compassionate to other road users. Sadly, lots of idiots use our roads. 

Edited by Cricky