Three-Month Burn Ban Put in Place to Curb Haze, Wildfire

webfact

10 hours ago, Captor said:

What area is that?

Lopburi, and we have 3 mills in the area, this is the second year of baling cane straw.

Also, our local plant makes enhylal alcohol from Molasses, which will go on to make gashol  fuel for all our vehicles.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Looking at the NASA fire map shows fewer fires in the last day or two.  Go back a week or two or three (cumulative) and it looks like everything was on fire.  Looks like a lot of the burning has already been done.

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/map/#d:24hrs;@104.3,17.1,6z

Yes, you are right. Still a lot in Myanmar and Cambodja.

• Thumbs Up 1

The locals just walk up into the mountains and set them on fire - every year.  Nobody gives a **** as everyone heads to the mountains during the rain season to collect Het Tawp and other mushrooms in the cleared underbrush. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 6:00 AM, kickstart said:

Do what they do in my area and some others, bale it to big bales, it goes for biomass, or at our local mill gets used as fuel for boiling molasses.

No cane is burnt in our area, so it can be done

This should be standard practice as a collective. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Captor said:

Very nice, hopefully the rest of Thailand follows.

It already has, for some years they are various plants about Thailand making Ethanal Alcohol, from molasses.

And have you noticed how much cassava is grown now, when I first come to my area 20 odd years ago, they were no cassava grown now it is alongside corn/maize, and cane, the reason that it is fermented down in to Ethanal Alcohol, and yes, a lot is still dried and exported, China and Rotterdam are big markets. 

18 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

For that to happen you would require more machinery and less labour.

Yes, FJ is right, I said no cane is burnt in our area, the reason is that this year 70% +?  is now cut by machine, no cane is burnt when it is cut by machine, with a machine, a second hand import costing 2 million baht, it needs big growers to that can afford to buy one, and run one, grower we know said his fuel bill to cut 120 rie of cane was 100 000 baht, he has a total of 500 rie.

Not all areas are the same as ours but given time they will be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ripstanley said:

There were a couple of good  storms on Wednesday evening and night. I live near Phayao and it rained all night. Sometimes heavy. I have heard the most of the north had good rain. This could be the reason for less fires. 

Looks like people are busy lighting fires again. This map already looks much worse than yesterday’s one. And I’m sure tomorrow and the day after will be worse again.

71570A06-874C-4D49-B38D-8CA2AB4DB0BB.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, kickstart said:

Yes, FJ is right, I said no cane is burnt in our area, the reason is that this year 70% +?  is now cut by machine, no cane is burnt when it is cut by machine, with a machine, a second hand import costing 2 million baht, it needs big growers to that can afford to buy one, and run one, grower we know said his fuel bill to cut 120 rie of cane was 100 000 baht, he has a total of 500 rie.

Not all areas are the same as ours but given time they will be.

And add another 2-3 million for tractor.rake and baler.

For a Thai to invest that sort of money in a seasonal business you would want a solid plan.

It can and is being done at tip toe speed.(give it 10 years)

When that is solved we come to national parks.

There is a lot of lightning here.

Just ask Australians what happens when you don't have yearly controlled burns.

It's a trade off to protect citizens although most would debate otherwise.

3 hours ago, farmerjo said:

For a Thai to invest that sort of money in a seasonal business you would want a solid plan.

I would debate otherwise - this does not protect citizens - rather the opposite, given the PM numbers. These burns are not controlled but often occur simultaneously, over large areas, to reduce costs by increasing the clearing rate, while using less labor than the alternatives.

https://www.thinkglobalhealth.org/article/tangled-problem-sugarcane-burning-thailand

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Yesterday evening while watering my trees, I thought it had started snowing, then I remembered where I was, I then started coughing and had to go inside away from it. Neighbors burn everything all year long and as usual are unable to even contemplate how bad it is for those around them, Just as the driving here, Me Me Me, loud music, barking dogs. Up to me mentality. Thainess in full swing. :1zgarz5:

Where is this?

4 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Maybe it would happen nuch quicker if tourists stop to come because of the dangerous and deadly air! That would hit the wallet and speed up the process.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/17/2023 at 9:02 AM, rudi49jr said:

If I’m not mistaken, this no-burn rule has been in place for years, and it’s never been enforced, at least not seriously. Like it is with most rules and laws in Thailand. Authorities are useless, RTP are useless and every winter millions of people in the north breathe in that wonderful pristine air and develop respiratory diseases for the rest of their lives.

Not only in the north. Almost everywere in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

I would debate otherwise - this does not protect citizens - rather the opposite, given the PM numbers. These burns are not controlled but often occur simultaneously, over large areas, to reduce costs by increasing the clearing rate, while using less labor than the alternatives.

https://www.thinkglobalhealth.org/article/tangled-problem-sugarcane-burning-thailand

Good article on why it is happening in agriculture.

It looks like they are shutting a few parks as well.

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40025001

Apparently no action taken. Chiang Mai is still burning. Bangkok still full of PM 2.5. 

This PM doesn't ever make anything happen. He just makes statements and then assumes that the desired action has taken place.....it rarely does, except in command and control environments like the army and other military services. This is why generals make lousy PMs.