Expat stores

scubascuba3

9 hours ago, LennyW said:

Yeah, but this is now 20th Feb, last wholesale shipment into Thailand end of last week (from where this company buys) Heinz Beans are 91 Baht + Vat.

Maybe they don't price gouge, per se, and don't raise their retail prices till old stock is gone, and increase prices when newer, higher price stock is received.

Unlike some vendors, as any whiff of increase prices in the news, and next day retail price of old stock matches the new rumored price.

Once order is placed, that price IS the price.  Unless they want to lose customers.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can’t believe you have not grasped it. All to do with the war in Ukraine!!! , baked beans Ukraine!!! Steak Ukraine,, coffee Ukraine. Toilet paper Ukraine. Water Ukraine… everything comes from Ukraine… they provide everything to the world that’s why prices have increased.???? Or is just pure greed of big corporates Oil & Gas for one example record profits ever first Covid now Ukraine… raped by greed expected to lie down and enjoy it….

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

in uk supermarkets heinz are always the most expensive ,tesco and asda brand are much cheaper and just as good ,no disernable difference

other  brands are much cheaper

Bought some Morrisons Brand recently from Big-C, been unable to find the usual Oz/Nz ones I had been buying... also not wanting to buy some unknown brand I think comes from India.. nor to traipse to an Expat shop. 

35 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I thought this was a thread about Expat Stores which provide an essential service to us expats!  It's turned into a thread about baked beans!

Follow the imported bean trail, and you'll find the expat friendly stores ... ????

New gauge of 'friendly' essential vendors ... more variety, more expat friendly.

Unless in search of P4P 'vendors' ... though don't think anyone needs help with that.

13 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

in uk supermarkets heinz are always the most expensive ,tesco and asda brand are much cheaper and just as good ,no disernable difference

other  brands are much cheaper

Never seen Tesco or Asda brand in any of the expat shops here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've decided to give up baked beans, just not worth the money, believe it or not life goes on and on the upside less farting

Never.. in Pattaya there will always be some little corner of England where beans on toast survives, or they are part of a full English!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mstevens said:

FWIW, here in New Zealand where Mainland cheese is produced, prices for quality cheese has exploded. The Mainland Vintage cheese 500 gram block used to cost $NZ 8 (about 170 baht) but now cannot be found for $NZ 13. Tasty, Edam and other varieties have also jumped in price. I used to pay $5.99 for 200 gram block of Mainland Parmesan cheese and yesterday it was $8.49. Big price jumps are happening everywhere and it's not just Thailand.

Bought a couple of 500g packs of Mainland Vintage Cheddar at (iirc) 275b per pack from Friendship yesterday, occasionally they'll have in on offer at around 210b which is roughly what you pay for a 250g pack elsewhere. 

Also bought a couple of 450g packs of Anchor Butter for (iirc) 255b per pack, occasionally they have this on a Buy-1-Get-1-Free offer which is an absolute bargain given the 225g packs normally sell for around 220b. 

... And that's all I bought in there. 

NB. Friendship is quite good & I normally buy lots of other stuff in there but I needed to go to Terminal 21 & the Bangkok Bank on North Pattaya Road so I just got the bare essentials ???? 

• Like 1

Previously I used to buy Cathedral Cheddar at Villa.  Pretty good value, THB 209 for 250g.  Now it's THB 320!  Switched to Mainland from Makro but as has been mentioned above it's been out of stock for some while, replaced with a pretty bland (albeit cheap) HoReCa cheddar at THB 349 per kilo.  I tried as we were out of cheese and I was done on the cheese hunt for that day.  At a real push I suppose it's OK for grating onto whatever but it really is bland otherwise.  Can't expect much else for the price I guess.  Mainland has been out at all the places I shop (and can be bothered to go to) so I'm guessing there's a freighter due soon.

I also used to buy Brooke baked beans in preference to Heinz, not much cheaper but a bit.  Tasted just as good but again, not seen any for a year or more now, mostly replaced with Watties that are not so nice.

Mostly I try to buy from Food Variety via Shopee, it's delivery prices are cheaper than Siamburi mostly.

40 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Previously I used to buy Cathedral Cheddar at Villa.  Pretty good value, THB 209 for 250g.  Now it's THB 320!  Switched to Mainland from Makro but as has been mentioned above it's been out of stock for some while, replaced with a pretty bland (albeit cheap) HoReCa cheddar at THB 349 per kilo.  I tried as we were out of cheese and I was done on the cheese hunt for that day.  At a real push I suppose it's OK for grating onto whatever but it really is bland otherwise.  Can't expect much else for the price I guess.  Mainland has been out at all the places I shop (and can be bothered to go to) so I'm guessing there's a freighter due soon.

I also used to buy Brooke baked beans in preference to Heinz, not much cheaper but a bit.  Tasted just as good but again, not seen any for a year or more now, mostly replaced with Watties that are not so nice.

Mostly I try to buy from Food Variety via Shopee, it's delivery prices are cheaper than Siamburi mostly.

I bought a tin of Brooke baked beans from Best supermarket this week. It was the last tin, 69 Baht.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Bought a couple of 500g packs of Mainland Vintage Cheddar at (iirc) 275b per pack from Friendship yesterday, occasionally they'll have in on offer at around 210b which is roughly what you pay for a 250g pack elsewhere. 

Also bought a couple of 450g packs of Anchor Butter for (iirc) 255b per pack, occasionally they have this on a Buy-1-Get-1-Free offer which is an absolute bargain given the 225g packs normally sell for around 220b. 

... And that's all I bought in there. 

NB. Friendship is quite good & I normally buy lots of other stuff in there but I needed to go to Terminal 21 & the Bangkok Bank on North Pattaya Road so I just got the bare essentials ???? 

You have it wrong about the price of Anchor 227g packs. They go from 119 baht to 139 baht. 

21 minutes ago, NextG said:

You have it wrong about the price of Anchor 227g packs. They go from 119 baht to 139 baht. 

Thanks, I was used to paying 112b for them for a long time but could have sworn I'd seen them at 220b in Tops Central Festival a couple of days before - Most probably me reading the prices wrong.

Last time Friendship had the buy-1-get-1-free offer it was something like 195 for 2x454 bricks which was an absolute bargain. 

On 2/21/2023 at 1:08 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I've decided to give up baked beans, just not worth the money, believe it or not life goes on and on the upside less farting

I don't eat baked beans as a rule, although just occasionally for a breakfast I might include them, and I find the Ayam baked beans as good as any others I've tried, and at about 39 baht a small tin, very good value.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Thanks, I was used to paying 112b for them for a long time but could have sworn I'd seen them at 220b in Tops Central Festival a couple of days before - Most probably me reading the prices wrong.

Last time Friendship had the buy-1-get-1-free offer it was something like 195 for 2x454 bricks which was an absolute bargain. 

Can’t argue with that

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, SooKee said:

Do a sweep of Friendship. Pick both up at the same time. Mainland cheese 275 baht for 500 grams of Mature and Vintage and Brooke baked beans ???? Noticed some damaged tins going for 52 baht. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/19/2023 at 12:47 PM, KhunLA said:

Canned Beans are silly priced here, not that I ate that much.   Wife buys fresh beans, and makes her own.   Offered to buy a pressure cooker, but she's not having any of that ????  Rarely eat baked beans anyway, and when bought canned, rinsed their vile sauce off, and made my own, just using the beans.

The other prepackaged stuff, photos of, rarely ate that krap when I didn't live in TH.  How do y'all get to our ages, and not know how to cook for yourself.  Retired, we have plenty of time.  Taste so much better and the other plus, usually much cheaper.

Somethings I'll buy, like puff pastry, as simply too much work to make.  Yogurt, since cost about the same to make.  Same with cheeses, since milk isn't exactly inexpensive here, and parmesan is hard to make, along with America cheese (not product), 2kg pack  Mozzarella is cheap enough, if buy a kg or 2 block.  

what beans does she buy and from where, many thanks