Top Thai virologist says 2023 is game over for COVID-19

snoop1130

9 hours ago, Eleftheros said:

Better late than never,  I suppose.

Most people with an ounce more sense than a billiard ball knew those things already 3 years ago, if they knew anything about history and had any common sense.

Hmmmm….. common sense….remember TIT?

7 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Spreading fear is a great way of maintaining political control so keeping everyone masked up and full of anxiety is great for Prayuth and Anutin.

For some people it seems to always come down to this, no matter what anyone says. Fairly narrow view of the world or the people in it.

8 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

So does this mean the Thais will finally be told to stop masking because they're obviously not going to stop until someone tells them to.

Hang on a moment..................................Thais are not known for doing what they are told. 

2 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

That argument might have sounded very clever in the middle of 2021 but most countries of the world have now ditched masking. All you're doing now is revealing yourself to be someone who slavishly follows authoritarian clowns like Prayuth.

Most countries have loosened restrictions on masking for good reasons.  It was never meant to control anything other than a virus.  Three things have resulted in removing mask mandates, the first was the widespread use and availability of vaccinations that greatly mitigated the worst effects of the disease and greatly lowered the probability of overwhelming the health care system.   The 2nd was that it was quickly becoming endemic.  Even Dr. Fauci said something to the effect that eventually nearly everyone will catch it.  Finally, it has mutated to the extent that it is more contagious but less deadly.   

I don't slavishly follow anyone.  I do listen to the advice and directives of scientists who are knowledgeable in infectious disease.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

So does this mean the Thais will finally be told to stop masking because they're obviously not going to stop until someone tells them to.

Most Thai's I know (Friends and work colleagues) still wear masks.

They dont give a sheet about covid though, they still wear masks because of the air pollution..... much like they did pre-covid on high pollution days.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Credo said:

Most countries have loosened restrictions on masking for good reasons.  It was never meant to control anything other than a virus.  Three things have resulted in removing mask mandates, the first was the widespread use and availability of vaccinations that greatly mitigated the worst effects of the disease and greatly lowered the probability of overwhelming the health care system.   The 2nd was that it was quickly becoming endemic.  Even Dr. Fauci said something to the effect that eventually nearly everyone will catch it.  Finally, it has mutated to the extent that it is more contagious but less deadly.   

I don't slavishly follow anyone.  I do listen to the advice and directives of scientists who are knowledgeable in infectious disease.  

You're contradicting yourself. The three reasons you mention apply just as much to Thailand as anywhere yet you ignore them and choose to follow the incoherent ramblings of the Prayuth government instead.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

This year is “game over” for COVID-19, as the World Health Organisation is expected to stop counting global daily infections, because reports of infections by every country submitted to the organisation are lower than actual figures and the disease will become seasonal, according to Dr. Yong Poovorawan, head of the Centre of Excellence of Clinical Virology at the Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University

Has he come up with a vaccine yet?

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Even if the virus completely disappears, are those Thais who seem convinced that all foreigners have covid ever going to be able to change this view?

I feel like the damage is irreversible, at least in the short-term.

I stopped worrying what Thais think about me a very long time ago.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Idle speculation? Maybe a tinge of gratuitous Thai bashing?

Or maybe the truth? I go to the park every day. People would wear masks even when jogging until the government came out and said they were no longer necessary outdoors.  Then they suddenly disappeared except for the diehards.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Please explain the mechanism by which government recommendations to wear masks enables political control. I've been at a loss to understand this conspiracy theory and nobody seems wiling to explain it. Will you? My understanding is that recommendations to wear masks saves lives, simple as that. You know, Occam's razor. The same recommendations have been made by every nation on the planet, yet it seems to have not resulted in political control.

The political control aspect comes in on the basis of asking (or mandating) that people do things because they're told rather than on the basis of any kind of evidence. Most of the mask studies show that masks do little good (See the latest Cochrane Review). Nevertheless, organizations like the CDC continue to insist on them -- even for 2 year olds!

9 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

In Bangkok, at least, the MP 2.5 is often good enough reason to keep wearing a mask.

10 hours ago, ozimoron said:
10 hours ago, In the jungle said:

Edit: Thailand's self proclaimed top virologist.

If not him, who is?

A top anything is not necessarily at the same level as a top anything elsewhere. It's all relative. I think we all know the level of Thai qualifications.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

The political control aspect comes in on the basis of asking (or mandating) that people do things because they're told rather than on the basis of any kind of evidence. Most of the mask studies show that masks do little good (See the latest Cochrane Review). Nevertheless, organizations like the CDC continue to insist on them -- even for 2 year olds!

The latest Cochrane review mainly concludes that the data quality of studies is so poor that no conclusion reliably can be reached - particularly in relation to impact for infants and older / vulnerable people.

So common sense is the best approach and for me than means wearing a 95 quality mask in tightly crowded / low ventilation settings (and aside from covid, when the MP 2.5 is high in the city)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Taboo2 said:

This dude is a joke.  He should  give his degree back and get a job at Big C.  He has been wrong with all his predictions and still advocates using masks!

He'd be a shoe-in at Big C with that 1960s ice street ice cream vendor's overall.....