Unhealthy Air Pollution in Pattaya

Banana7

Depends on the wind strength and direction and rain. No rain and gentle wind from the N drives pollution from crop burning in the N towards Pattaya. Rain and wind from the S over the sea drives pollution away. Particularly bad this year as can be seen by smoke drifting across route 7 from the hills to the N of Pattaya. Don't understand why anybody would want to burn hillsides like this although I read that Thais do this either to clear land for planting or drive out animals for the pot.

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's the worst I've experienced, I've got a cough and a friend has and I've noticed many others have, probably due to the pollution. Was going to buy an air purifier yesterday but not in stock for 15+ days

I have 2 air purifiers for the condo. A Hatari and a Mi (see https://www.mi.com/th/product/xiaomi-smart-air-purifier-4/). I saw the Hatari's at Homepro, Pattaya Klang, a few days ago, (see https://www.homepro.co.th/p/1153621). The Hatari has been running all day, windows and doors are closed, inside it is down to 12-17 AQI.

The mi does a better faster job than the Hatari.

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Depends on the wind strength and direction and rain. No rain and gentle wind from the N drives pollution from crop burning in the N towards Pattaya. Rain and wind from the S over the sea drives pollution away. Particularly bad this year as can be seen by smoke drifting across route 7 from the hills to the N of Pattaya. Don't understand why anybody would want to burn hillsides like this although I read that Thais do this either to clear land for planting or drive out animals for the pot.

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/map/#d:24hrs;@97.8,15.0,5z

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's the worst I've experienced, I've got a cough and a friend has and I've noticed many others have, probably due to the pollution. Was going to buy an air purifier yesterday but not in stock for 15+ days

Same here & I know of at least 3 other guys who have a bad chesty cough as well. 

• Like 1

The Thai Prime Minister was in Scotland  some time ago attending a Global warming meeting where he promised to do something about this  bad air  in Thailand .....just wondering when he's going to start, or was that trip to stock up the whisky cabinet

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

According to IQair, at 12:50 today, Friday 24 February, it is 155 US AQI - unhealthy.

Currently I see a 177 on the Dark Side, and 167 in Banglamung. That would put the Dark Side in the #2 rank of major cities in the world.

Air quality.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I bought an air filter online it seems to make a big difference feeling better when in my room.

A lot of people are suffering in their head, or at least suffering more than they should. I wasn't aware of this air quality problem until I signed in here for first time in weeks, and hadn't noticed a problem with the air quality. I mainly avoid outdoors in the day when it's hot and do most of my travels at night. Now that I know about it, my breathing is laboured as I am now aware of the problem and focus on it LOL. 

I would say the main problem is the Gulf of Thailand has currently become the equivalent of the infamous Doldrums at sea. There's no wind to blow it away.

42 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Very bad air pollution in Pattaya today, 2 March 2023 at about 3pm. Reading taken in condo, located in central Pattaya, after the door was opened for 5 minutes. US AQI over 200.

IMG_2235.JPG

shows the app is inaccurate, 3.40pm

Screenshot_2023-03-02-15-42-22-616_com.airvisual.jpg