Visa Extension - Renewal Problem

Background:  I am a 27 year resident of Thailand.  I have been retired here for the last 11 of those years.  For the last two of those years, I have been using the B 800,000 money in the bank method.  I know the rules.  In late May last year, I moved from Isarn to Bangkok. Also in late May 2022, I closed the bank account in Isarn in which I had "parked" my B 800,000, and transferred those funds to an account with the same bank in Bangkok, where they have been ever since.

Current: Yesterday, I went into Bangkok Immigration to do my annual renewal, and received a severe shock. The Immigration supervisor demanded proof that I had complied with the "three months after" rule from February to May 2022 in Surin.  I had my final bankbook from Surin with me. To my horror, when I opened it, it showed only the final two days of transactions. I have no idea why, if the bank employee had to start a new bankbook, she did not give me the previous one too. To get to the point:  I have no proof hat I had B 800,000 in the bank from February to May 2022.  I have asked the head office of the bank if they could print a statement, but they say they cannot because the account is now closed.

Future:  I am not here because I want to be told what I ought to have done in the past.  I can't turn back the clock.  What options do I have, if I want to stay in Thailand, continuing to use the B 800,000 money in the bank method ? (The B 65,000/mo. pension method is not an option; I receive a pension in Canada, but it is not large enough.)

1.  I have B 800,000 in the bank here, provable since May 2022.  If I want to continue to use the same money, do these funds need to make a round trip to Canada ?  I have savings in Canada, but as things stand today, only somewhere around B 300,000 - 400,000.

2.  As for myself, I presume I would need to leave Thailand, and re-enter on some sort of short-term visa ?

Edited by allane
x
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, norbra said:

Maybe at trip to bank in Surin is an option for you.

I think not.  I went into Bangkok Bank's head office yesterday.  They clearly understood I wanted a 12 month statement, filled in a form, had me sign it, and charged me B 200.  This morning, someone else phoned me to say they can't do it because the account has been closed (since late May 2023.)

I might consider a trip to Surin, but only if I get at least one report here that another Bangkok Bank customer succeeded with a similar request.

23 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

Can't you leave Thailand without a re-entry permit, re-enter visa exempt, and apply for a new non-O then extend it as you would normally?  You have the money in the bank already.

Basically, start all over from the immigration perspective.

This is probably the least expensive option, exit to a nearby country and re-enter visa exempt.

Your situation is also what fixers/agents are for, no idea what it costs.

You didn't mention showing the transfer receipt to immigration, might work.

Edited by expat_4_life

1 hour ago, allane said:

I think not.  I went into Bangkok Bank's head office yesterday.  They clearly understood I wanted a 12 month statement, filled in a form, had me sign it, and charged me B 200.  This morning, someone else phoned me to say they can't do it because the account has been closed (since late May 2023.)

I might consider a trip to Surin, but only if I get at least one report here that another Bangkok Bank customer succeeded with a similar request.

I think only Surin can sort this for you being a long term customer,maybe they did create a new book,or can at least provide a letter stating the facts you require.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, norbra said:

I think only Surin can sort this for you being a long term customer,maybe they did create a new book,or can at least provide a letter stating the facts you require.

If all fails at bank Chom Chung border crossing is just 70 kms away mini bus taxis available 

I am the OP. I am prepared to do a "visa trip" if necessary.  No one has directly addressed my first question, about my money.  If I go to an adjacent country and re-enter Thailand visa exempt, can I then get the Non- O visa, using the B 800,000 I already have in Thailand ? I seem to recall that the funds have to come from outside Thailand.

Alternatively, can I apply for the O-A visa in an adjacent country ?  I seem to recall seeing somewhere, that you can only apply from your home country.  I prefer not having to fly back to Canada just to do this, if another way can be found.

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

Has anyone else been able to extend JUST using their bank book?

My post was in reply to someone stating that bank statements are required and I was pointing out that I have obtained all my extensions without bank statements.

Of course all the other requirements need to met and provided such as TM7 etc.

Your point? 

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

My post was in reply to someone stating that bank statements are required and I was pointing out that I have obtained all my extensions without bank statements.

Of course all the other requirements need to met and provided such as TM7 etc.

Your point? 

As far as I can gather, annual bank statements are necessary and NOT just the bank book. Hence the many posts complaining that for example, Bkk Bank takes a week to provide the 12 month statements. That's my point.

But if you got away with it, good luck, and regards to the IO who bypassed the rules.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, allane said:

Personally I think you would be wasting your time. My bank has always given me the old book and if your bank was supposed to do the same, they may well say they did and you wouldn't be any better off.

Two choices really, leave and return visa exempt or go to one of the neighbours and come back on Non O.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a non-o visa at immigration.

If you have had the 800k baht in the bank for a long time proof it came from abroad is not required.

Your comment is greatly appreciated.  As of today, I can show proof of B 800,000 in the bank for a little over nine months.  What is your guess please ? Is nine months enough to be a "long time ?

I have already been bumped up to the supervisory level at Immigration, and am dealing with a hard-nosed guy.  When I return to see him, I want to be fully prepared, knowing what questions to ask, and not to ask.

19 hours ago, allane said:

Once an account is closed , you cannot get a printed statement.

This rule is from the Bank of Thailand.

1 hour ago, allane said:

I seem to recall that the funds have to come from outside Thailand.

That requirement is in respect of extensions, rather than visas.

I recently obtained a Non O in UK using funds in a Thai account and I am fairly sure the same has been said about neighbouring countries.

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

That requirement is in respect of extensions, rather than visas

No proof of origin of funds required for extensions 

Obtaining a non O retirement inside Thailand requires proof funds came from abroad

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, allane said:

As of today, I can show proof of B 800,000 in the bank for a little over nine months

9 months would be plenty to not need to show funds came from abroad. 

Many folk have killed off non O-A and used existing funds to obtain non O retirement in Thailand. 

" I have asked the head office of the bank if they could print a statement, but they say they cannot because the account is now closed."

Always find these kinds of statements by financial institutions strange.

You can bet if the police or tax office or some other kind of government investigation  was looking for financial evidence you could bet they would get access to historic bank account info going back years and years.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You should be on the stage, shortage of contortionists.

You stated the following...

"That requirement is in respect of extensions, rather than visas" 

Referring to funds need to come from abroad.

That's incorrect. Simple. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

As far as I can gather, annual bank statements are necessary and NOT just the bank book. Hence the many posts complaining that for example, Bkk Bank takes a week to provide the 12 month statements. That's my point.

But if you got away with it, good luck, and regards to the IO who bypassed the rules.

I thought immigration only need a 3mth statement, well that's what Trat want for Marriage extension. 

I would also also email BKB, and see what their reply is, I had a prob. once and it was sorted for me, thanks to a senior staff member that is also a member on this site, sorted in hours when he contacted my local branch. 

48 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No proof of origin of funds required for extensions 

Obtaining a non O retirement inside Thailand requires proof funds came from abroad

Spot on. When I transferred the funds some years ago I got the FTT document from my bank and had to show it to immigration to get the Non-O Visa.  For all annual extensions since then, it is not needed. 

I advise anyone bringing in the 800k to get the foreign transfer document immediately from their bank, copy it, scan it and look after it, JUST in case you find yourself in the same position as OP where it seems he will have to start afresh with Visa application (and then extension).

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I have used a bank book alone for each extention at CW.

Most recent Nov 2022. 

As did I (not CW though) from 2006 until 2 or 3 years ago.

Now the book is only accepted provided there is a statement to back it up, in saying that I understand from others that a statement alone is not acceptable without the bank book as back-up.

Speak of a paper chase.

• Like 1