Thai Airways Declares Over B10bn Baht in Profit in 2022

snoop1130

Most sensible things I've done since moving to Thailand last century? Vowing to never fly Thai Airways again (circa 2002)...Cancelling UBC/ True visions; still waiting on the deposit refund! (c. 2008)...Cancelling IpStar who were unable to supply the Internet package speed I was paying 2,500 baht a month for (250mb)(c. 2006.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, London Lowf said:

For eight years I've been "faithful" to Thai but next trip I'm trying Emirates.

Yeah, that's handy if you want to fly to Dubai. There's actually no other choice. 

Agree with you as I would always choose Emirates over Thai for long haul but when I fly in SE Asia it is not much use. Thai is a decent regional airline but not a good long haul one.

Thai Airways rides Asia's travel reopening back to profit
Carrier to add more flights to China, Japan as it eyes exit from restructuring

YOHEI MURAMATSU, Nikkei staff writer

image.jpeg

A Thai Airways plane at Tokyo's Narita Airport. The airline plans to increase flights to Japan this year. (Photo by Konosuke Urata)

BANGKOK -- Thai Airways International's operating profit swung back to the black in 2022, the carrier reported Friday, as passenger revenue recovered thanks to the easing of coronavirus restrictions.

Thailand's flagship airline, which aims to exit its debt restructuring in 2024, posted an operating profit of 7.7 billion baht ($220 million) for the year, rebounding from a year-earlier loss of 19.7 billion baht.

Revenue jumped more than fourfold on the year to 105 billion baht, helping absorb higher fuel costs. Passenger numbers grew 5.5-fold to 9.01 million, while revenue from ticket sales and baggage was up more than 13-fold at 74 billion baht.

Thai Airways reported a net loss of 252 million baht for the year, weighed down by the termination of aircraft leases and other charges, compared with a net profit of 55.1 billion baht in 2021, which saw a significant one-time gain on debt restructuring.

Full story: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Transportation/Thai-Airways-rides-Asia-s-travel-reopening-back-to-profit

nk.jpg

-- © Copyright Nikkei Asian Review 2023-02-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Now that they suspended the lazy stewardess' "prettys" who didn't pick up the lunch trays of a couple of "Karens" (who couldn't put the trays on the floor) and thus endangered the safety of the other passengers and perhaps even all of Suvarnabhumi, next year's profits should soar.

Edited by ignore it
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, still kicking said:

It all depends on where you live, I live in OZ and always used Thai because it was the only non-stop flight to Bangkok never had any problems at all 

Yes, that is more the point...Thai offer one of the few direct options for many European countries, Oz and Nz cities too, and could get me to Bali in a timely manner..... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zzaa09 said:

Even more astounding is that the beloved Thai media just repeats what they're given without challenging or questioning....

They never ask a question .....  they don't scutinize any report given to them,  it's similar to Thai's never complaining about a product or service,  how can anything ever improve if they have that mentality.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Almost too good to be true isn't it!

That man at the beginning of article turned Thai around before, by cutting out freeloaders. He was promptly replaced and Thai pushed back into debt. It didn't take much to turn it around again - in same way as last time. You don't need to guess what happens to him next.

You can't have all these VIPs in 1st class with their entire families on shopping trips actually paying for their tickets, could you now...

• Like 2

Good, now let them reinstate full redeeming of miles! I have over 130 miles on Thai Airways, only to find out I can redeem them on practically nothing, ie domestic flights +  very few international destinations and then economy only. I bet the business class seats are reverved for VIP courtesy tickets. During Covid, it was foolish of me to continue accrueing miles on RoyalOrchid. Any other Star Alliance frequent flyer program would have been better.

15 hours ago, London Lowf said:

For eight years I've been "faithful" to Thai but next trip I'm trying Emirates.

You will not regret that. I am now totally Emirates as they knock spots of Thai. I use them for BKK to LHR and time wise, depending how quick you need to be there, it can be done in 14 hours against 11.5 direct. As I fly Business Class, I make the most of the lounges and chauffeur drive!! Wonderful.

Edited by worrab
Extra wording
  • Thanks 1

So we have several different numbers to look at -

From the first link - 

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thai Airways International (THAI) Plc reported a 11.15 billion baht net profit last year

But in the second (a foreign news article) a more detailed breakdown including -

4 hours ago, webfact said:

posted an operating profit of 7.7 billion baht ($220 million) for the year, rebounding from a year-earlier loss of 19.7 billion baht.

and what I would have thought was the most important number.........

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Airways reported a net loss of 252 million baht for the year