Pattaya breakfast buffet

TheLaughingMan

Breakfast buffets are not a good idea as the food is kept warm until it needs replacing..

Was recently at a hotel in Dubai, breakfast included or Bht 600 to pay for. A good selection of cold, continental and warm food, but the latter was kept in a bain marie ie hot water, which was only just warm enough. Only cold plates available, and once it was at your table under the air con, it was cold in 5 minutes. I 'complained' but it made no difference.

Freshly cooked is far better.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Breakfast buffets are not a good idea as the food is kept warm until it needs replacing..

Was recently at a hotel in Dubai, breakfast included or Bht 600 to pay for. A good selection of cold, continental and warm food, but the latter was kept in a bain marie ie hot water, which was only just warm enough. Only cold plates available, and once it was at your table under the air con, it was cold in 5 minutes. I 'complained' but it made no difference.

Freshly cooked is far better.

That’s your experience. Casa Pascal for one included a cooked breakfast to order, along with the ready options. Everything was fresh and refilled when noticed or on request. Not sure why it’s been discontinued. 

Not a buffet per se, but Robin Hood Tavern at Avenue Mall has a build your own breakfast menu with all items individually priced. Three choices of bacon, tinned or fresh tomatoes, eggs to your preference and a wide range of breads, cereals and fruits. I normally pay about 400 Baht, 100 of which is for fresh pressed orange juice. Food, service and surroundings are all top notch.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, NextG said:

That’s your experience. Casa Pascal for one included a cooked breakfast to order, along with the ready options. Everything was fresh and refilled when noticed or on request. Not sure why it’s been discontinued. 

Casa Pascal was my favourite. We only go down to Pattaya now and again and always looked forward to eating there. Shame if it has been discontinued, only needed a couple of more visits to redeem the card.

We were down not long ago but had family with us so went to the LK Empress for a bit wider choice. At 300 baht that is quite good and despite what some may think, in popular places demand ensures food is replenished regularly.

On 2/25/2023 at 2:04 AM, TheLaughingMan said:

I guess about 500 baht? I mean whatever gets the best value, I absolutely don’t want a bad breakfast, so whatever price gets me something decent.

I was happy with the Lek buffet breakfast and it wasn't anywhere near 500 baht. It's obviously not haute cuisine, but it had a good selection, western and Thai, and I never got sick off it.

If popularity is anything to go by it was a winner.

Another hotel across the road a bit, I think the A something hotel had a similar buffet breakfast.

If I wanted a decent big brekkie I'd walk over to Soi Buakhao and get one in a proper restaurant.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 5:29 AM, NextG said:

Perhaps because it was unprofitable to provide that at an affordable price.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/25/2023 at 3:49 AM, Woof999 said:

To add to what KannikaP writes above, I've tended away from buffet style anything for years now, purely from a hygiene perspective. Even at a 5* hotel now there is little chance that all my fellow buffeters washed their hands the last time they peed, etc.

There are plenty of fresh cooked breakfast options from 99 baht and up that a buffet, for me at least, makes little sense. I do understand some of the attractions of it though. Sorry that this doesn't directly answer your question.

While I agree with what you say about people not washing their hands, no one gets the food out of the dish with their hands, and as long as the kfc are clean, I don't see the big deal about it. No worse than opening a door with the handle and rubbing your mouth or eyes after.

The attraction for me was that after I filled my stomach I didn't need to pay for lunch or even dinner sometimes.

On 2/25/2023 at 1:59 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Any big 5-star hotel should be a good start.

Often it is more a question of how much you are willing to pay.

LOL. I remember going into a posh Singapore hotel and not checking the price. I had to pay after eating and the price was a "bit" more than what I expected!

After that I stuck to a roadside food court.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. I remember going into a posh Singapore hotel and not checking the price. I had to pay after eating and the price was a "bit" more than what I expected!

After that I stuck to a roadside food court.

It seems many people have different opinions about acceptable prices for buffets.

The initiator of this tread wrote:

On 2/24/2023 at 8:04 PM, TheLaughingMan said:

I guess about 500 baht? I mean whatever gets the best value, I absolutely don’t want a bad breakfast, so whatever price gets me something decent.

Personally I pay regularly more than those 500B (in Bangkok). I love great breakfast buffet for hours.

p1010387.jpg

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Personally I pay regularly more than those 500B (in Bangkok). I love great breakfast buffet for hours.

A 5* hotel Buffet Breakfast is more beyond 1'000.-- THB. I remember the superb Buffet at The Centara Hua Hin where our last visit was some years ago and it was (if not booked together with the room as we did) above THB 1'000.-- p.p.. Now it might be much more. But as they say - you get what you pay for.

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

A 5* hotel Buffet Breakfast is more beyond 1'000.-- THB. I remember the superb Buffet at The Centara Hua Hin where our last visit was some years ago and it was (if not booked together with the room as we did) above THB 1'000.-- p.p.. Now it might be much more. But as they say - you get what you pay for.

I get 30% discount in my favorite place. So I am still under 1000 THB. ???? 

2 hours ago, moogradod said:

Apart from the ones that aren’t. Isn’t it 700 baht at the Hilton?

Their brunch buffets starting at 650 baht. 

3 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

Apex was famous. Only 80 Baht for the buffet. But 20 years ago... During Covid the hotel was often closed. Not sure if they opened the buffet again. 

I am as old as dust! Last time I hit The Lek breakfast buffet I was not impressed... but  I am looking for a full English type .... perhaps Nicky's on Buakhao better for me....

7 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

Apex was famous. Only 80 Baht for the buffet. But 20 years ago... During Covid the hotel was often closed. Not sure if they opened the buffet again. 

Today, for 80 Baht you may hope for a cooked egg if you are lucky I suppose. Coffee not included.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/24/2023 at 8:40 PM, sandyf said:

Casa Pascal was my favourite. We only go down to Pattaya now and again and always looked forward to eating there. Shame if it has been discontinued, only needed a couple of more visits to redeem the card.

We were down not long ago but had family with us so went to the LK Empress for a bit wider choice. At 300 baht that is quite good and despite what some may think, in popular places demand ensures food is replenished regularly.

Hi,  Is LK Empress Hotel buffet breakfast open now as of Feb 2023 ?  If yes,  I will go soon. 

I had my last run there in Jan 2020.   Then of course the place had been closed down. 

This place had been excellent value for over a decade despite LK Empress might be 3.5* hotel.  Witnessed them grew yearly, from low 150B per head to more customers, more food options, doubling up seating space, quick turnover and eventually charging 300B  each.   The location is very central too 

On 2/24/2023 at 9:49 PM, Woof999 said:

To add to what KannikaP writes above, I've tended away from buffet style anything for years now, purely from a hygiene perspective. Even at a 5* hotel now there is little chance that all my fellow buffeters washed their hands the last time they peed, etc.

Totally agree......  I cannot count the number of times I witnessed employees leaving the restroom without washing their hands. Also witnessed numerous times where the cooks/servers would go out back, have a cigarette, and then return in the back kitchen door without washing their hands.

NOTE: I have only received food poisoning once in my life (so far...knock on wood) and it was contracted by eating some chicken at a buffet..... in the USA!

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, sscc said:

Hi,  Is LK Empress Hotel buffet breakfast open now as of Feb 2023 ?  If yes,  I will go soon. 

I had my last run there in Jan 2020.   Then of course the place had been closed down. 

This place had been excellent value for over a decade despite LK Empress might be 3.5* hotel.  Witnessed them grew yearly, from low 150B per head to more customers, more food options, doubling up seating space, quick turnover and eventually charging 300B  each.   The location is very central too 

Yes it was shut for quite a while. I noticed it was open again back in December when my wife was doing her passport at the Avenue.

Been many times since it first opened and they have now improved the salad bar, making it an island in the U shaped servery. If you like bacon look for it on the salad bar, next to the french bread.

My only gripe with them is they never cook potatoes long enough.