Have you ever gone more than 48 hours without sleep?

Tayida

2 minutes ago, n00dle said:

it isn't going to kill you as a one off, but will certainly have effects in the long term if it becomes a regular occurrence.

Just once.

36 hours is most for me while in the Army.  24 hours lately when I made the mistake of connecting in Singapore and the pay loung was overcrowded and too noisy to sleep.  Truly doubt anyone can not sleep for 48 hours straight.  Most of us will doze off or as they call in LOS: Microsleep.  For me after about 20-24 hours straight I fall into the microsleep state.  The energy drinks and coffee usually little effect after so many cups.  

Good luck on your marathon.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I’ve done it a few times, its pretty much impossible without taking 10-20min cat-naps whenever possible. 

Performance drops.... the notable issue I found is that I thought I was ok, but looking back at the quality of work there were many mistakes no matter how fastidious I was about double & triple checking numbers etc....

Definitely not recommended and I’d say going 48 hours without dropping off is pretty much an impossibility. 

I still do 24+ hrs without sleep (at work and when travelling to and from etc) - it takes longer to recover from such spells the older I get. 

8 minutes ago, BOB JOSHUA said:

Are you prepared to say why you wont be able to sleep for 48 hours, very long flight in a full economy cabin or something.

Bob Joshua

Two full circumnavigations of the globe you mean ?..... 

Valid point though - what task requires someone to remain 100% awake for 48 hours ??....  

Perhaps the Op doesn’t trust the answers NASA or SpaceX are providing him with ! ????

When I worked offshore in Brazil, you would come into Vitoria, Espiritu Santo state in the morning sit in Vitoria airport most of the day before flying down to Rio then connect with the Emirates flight to Dubai then on to BKK, Emirates flying time was 21 hours, few hours in Dubai then the journey from BKK to Pattaya. There were a few occasions when I was not upgraded.

On return to my house in Pattaya I was completely knackered & Jet Lagged for about 4 to 5 days with the 10 hour time difference.

Bob Joshua

Once.

I was sailing a boat from Marina Del Rey to San Francisco with just a 13 year old nephew for crew.  I was motor-sailing upwind when the engine cut out.  I spent the rest of that night, all the next day and all of the next night sailing the boat up to Monterrey.  The kid was a real trooper, even if he was sleeping below decks he would wake up and help pull on a jib sheet when it was time to tack.

As for the effects of lack of sleep, I did see some strange hallucinations out of the corner of my eyes during the second night, but they vanished if I looked straight at them.  I also stacked up some cushions to sit on, so that I would fall over and wake up if I drifted off to sleep! 

I was in my early 40s and very fit then, I wouldn't try to do that now.

I pulled 2 all nighters in a row to finish my work before a trans Atlantic flight quite some years ago. 

Then I missed my flight. ????

Drove back home from the airport and slept 24 hours straight. 

No drugs, not even coffee or similar were involved. No microsleep, but definitely ups and downs. 

Because I used to fly 100 times a year for 15 years my body was somehow used to these changes. But after that time of 15 years it took me 1 and a half years to recover and get rid of the deep accumulated exhaustion. 

Was based in Cairo a few years back and involved in a high value contract claim. Happened to be in our London office when there was a need for original docs to be submitted urgently due to submission deadlines. So, flew out to Cairo that night,handed over the docs and then flew back to LHR.

By the time I arrived back in the London office there was a need of further original docs, so, off to LHR again. Same flight as previous night and the station manager was looking out for me as he was sure it was a computer error that had the same passenger booked for two consecutive flights!!

Again, docs were handed over and returned to LHR. 

Maybe managed a short nap or 2 during the flights but I was certainly out on my feet when finally hitting the sack after that.

Done it a couple of times.  The issue is when you go to sleep go to sleep with no interruptions.  No loud music no one asking questions.  Did 72 hours once and ended up sleep walking in the bush.  Did a 48 in Pakistan for vip visit was useless for 4 days.

Yes, in my late 20’s, working on a huge project bid (many millions) that had to submitted by the deadline.  Adrenaline and coffee kept the focus, plus jogging round the staff car park in the middle of the winter night.  Got it done.  Then went to pub and feel asleep without touching my beer!

You were lucky, I used to go to bed, half an hour before I got up, work a 16 hour day, then when I got home, Dad used to make me lick road clean wit tongue ???? 

Edited by PB172111
  • Haha 2

On 3/3/2023 at 2:31 PM, norfolkandchance said:

Join the military for practice.

Yes I did an escape and evasion excersise with a very well know unit ..sleep deprivation was used saw people crack and break down simple by using this tactic with the addition of a few things I won't. Go into   So yes mate I agree with you 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

Yes I did an escape and evasion excersise with a very well know unit ..sleep deprivation was used saw people crack and break down simple by using this tactic with the addition of a few things I won't. Go into   So yes mate I agree with you 

Not wanting to hijack the thread. Winter survival exercise. 2 to a tent. DS staff in log cabins. Happy days. Not.

Not quite. Best effort was getting only a couple of hours a night for five days while preparing a huge technology bid in the upstairs office of our chain smoking Greek partners in Athens. Slept slouched with my head resting on my arms on a desk. Also, no showers during that time. Finally slept in a bed from about 2:00am on the Saturday morning. Took days to recover.