Is 3 BB better for me or not?

grain

4 hours ago, vinny41 said:

search on the internet best 3BB router should have gigabyte ethernet ports and wifi6 

I don't understand. If I sign up with 3BB don't they come and install everything and get me up and running ok? Are you suggesting that I should purchase my own 3BB router? 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, grain said:

I don't understand. If I sign up with 3BB don't they come and install everything and get me up and running ok? Are you suggesting that I should purchase my own 3BB router? 

No what I am suggesting is that you research and get 3BB to provide you with the best router for your current requirements and future requirements otherwise you will leave yourself open for 3BB to provide a router, will it be the best available , will it be the fastest available, will it offer the greatest coverage will  it be wifi 6 capable if you choose not to request a router that has gigabyte ethernet ports or a router that is wifi 6 capable thats your choice

Its like going into a car dealership and asking for a car and when the dealer asks what type of car you say I can't be bothered with the details he is going to sell you the car he wants to shift it may not be the best car for your requirements but since you haven't specified anything he hasn't done anything wrong

Depending on how old your TV is it might have ethernet or wifi that only supports 100mbs , in the future your next TV might support 1000gbs via ethernet and wifi but if your router can only handle 500mps that is all your going to get

if your laptop has a WiFi 6E Compatible Laptop WiFi card

you need a router than can support Wifi 6E

Most wifi 6e cards  can run at speeds

Tri-Band (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and 6GHz) support.

Maximum speed of up to 2400 Mbps (6GHz), 2400 Mbps (5GHz) and 574 Mbps (2.4GHz).

Now you will never get 2.4gbs will a 3bb 1 Gb connection but if your paying for 1GB internet connection then you will hope that you get as close as possible to that 1GB internet speed

Edited by vinny41
add
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, grain said:

They install a router that can supply the plan you are paying for. The cheap 1GB Internet router with wifi costs me 631bht per month.

But, your PC/LT must have a 1GB LAN installed to use it, see what is installed in your rig.. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 8:09 AM, MJCM said:

@Mutt Daeng

Forgot to add.

I am using the 3BB router ONLY for getting the Fiber in. Everything else is done with a separate ASUS Router so for example Wifi is turned off in the 3BB router the Asus handles that.

I asked them to put the 3BB router in Bridge (or as they say Bit) mode but they wouldn't do that.

These are my ASUS routers.

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wireless-networking/asus/aimesh-ac1900-dual-band-gigabit-wi-fi-system-rt-ac68u-2-pack-p066016/

I logged in to the 3BB supplied router (username & password on a label on the back of the router) and put it into bridge mode myself. It's fairly straightforward.

This is my ASUS router.

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wireless-networking/asus/rt-ac86u-aimesh-dual-band-wireless-router-ac2900-p031839/

Edited by Mutt Daeng

16 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I logged in to the 3BB supplied router (username & password on a label on the back of the router) and put it into bridge mode myself. It's fairly straightforward.

This is my ASUS router.

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wireless-networking/asus/rt-ac86u-aimesh-dual-band-wireless-router-ac2900-p031839/

I have the same router. That password on the back of the router is for the admin account on the 192.x.x.x ip address of the 3BB Router and not for PPoE.

To enable Bridge mode you need a Username and a Password for their network, which IS Not the password on the back of the router.

You then go into your ASUS router, goto the WAN page, select Internet connection, set WAN connection to PPOE and then there you need a UserName and Password.

That Username and Password they will not give me

That username and Password you will see in your 3BB Router under

WAN - Wan Configuration - click your Internet connection name and then you will see USERNAME and Pwd (username as you can see is in cleartext but the PWD not and it's not as printed on the back of the router)

3bb.JPG.38844221be50630eb6478098c0664406.JPG

Edited by MJCM

16 hours ago, grain said:

They will come and install / test everything.

If they charge your extra for a Better Router, just decline and get the standard router, and after that buy your own one (if you want to).

I just got the standard 3BB router but bought a better ASUS router which has much stronger WIFI for example. The one from 3BB (wifi) barely covers the house.

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, MJCM said:

They will come and install / test everything.

If they charge your extra for a Better Router, just decline and get the standard router, and after that buy your own one (if you want to).

I just got the standard 3BB router but bought a better ASUS router which has much stronger WIFI for example. The one from 3BB (wifi) barely covers the house.

OK thanks, I'm getting a clearer picture now. Before I sign the deal with 3BB I'll check about which router they'll supply me. However, I'm not sure this is going to be a problem. I only want 3BB for the TV. My laptop is fine tethered to my smartphone with its unlimited DTAC sim. My smart TV is fairly new, we bought it about 2 years ago from Makro, it's in the bedroom, and the 3 BB router will also go in the bedroom. My wife also has a DTAC 1 year unlimited sim in her phone, so she won't need to connect to the 3 BB either. So if the 3 BB wifi barely covers the house that wouldn't matter, it's just for the TV.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, transam said:

They install a router that can supply the plan you are paying for. The cheap 1GB Internet router with wifi costs me 631bht per month.

But, your PC/LT must have a 1GB LAN installed to use it, see what is installed in your rig.. 

Cheers transam, my laptop will stay connected to my smartphone via its DTAC sim, that works fine, ditto wife who has her own DTAC sim purely for data. The 3 BB will be solely for the smart TV.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, vinny41 said:

No what I am suggesting is that you research and get 3BB to provide you with the best router for your current requirements and future requirements otherwise you will leave yourself open for 3BB to provide a router, will it be the best available , will it be the fastest available, will it offer the greatest coverage will  it be wifi 6 capable if you choose not to request a router that has gigabyte ethernet ports or a router that is wifi 6 capable thats your choice

Its like going into a car dealership and asking for a car and when the dealer asks what type of car you say I can't be bothered with the details he is going to sell you the car he wants to shift it may not be the best car for your requirements but since you haven't specified anything he hasn't done anything wrong

Depending on how old your TV is it might have ethernet or wifi that only supports 100mbs , in the future your next TV might support 1000gbs via ethernet and wifi but if your router can only handle 500mps that is all your going to get

if your laptop has a WiFi 6E Compatible Laptop WiFi card

you need a router than can support Wifi 6E

Most wifi 6e cards  can run at speeds

Tri-Band (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and 6GHz) support.

Maximum speed of up to 2400 Mbps (6GHz), 2400 Mbps (5GHz) and 574 Mbps (2.4GHz).

Now you will never get 2.4gbs will a 3bb 1 Gb connection but if your paying for 1GB internet connection then you will hope that you get as close as possible to that 1GB internet speed

OK thanks, good info and I'll check into this further when we talk with the 3BB company.

24 minutes ago, grain said:

OK thanks, I'm getting a clearer picture now. Before I sign the deal with 3BB I'll check about which router they'll supply me. However, I'm not sure this is going to be a problem. I only want 3BB for the TV. My laptop is fine tethered to my smartphone with its unlimited DTAC sim. My smart TV is fairly new, we bought it about 2 years ago from Makro, it's in the bedroom, and the 3 BB router will also go in the bedroom. My wife also has a DTAC 1 year unlimited sim in her phone, so she won't need to connect to the 3 BB either. So if the 3 BB wifi barely covers the house that wouldn't matter, it's just for the TV.

I am looking at your opening post and there it mentions some programs (streaming??)

I have no idea when you get the 3Bb TV box if you can install those programs (for streaming) on there or even on your TV.

Another idea would be that you buy an android box which you connect with a Ethernet cable (supplied with the Router) to the 3BB router and then via a HDMI cable to your TV.

Not getting the 3BB TV box subscription will save you a bit of money every month as well.

I have no idea about the Android boxes or what to buy.

• Like 1

I got my 3bb box out of its box and connected it up

this would be the same for an android box

the blue cable goes to your 3bb router and the right black cable is the HDMI cable which connects to your TV

C1EFBC69-EB10-496C-83F1-4423FD115719.jpeg.3d075d50b03b464eb946ffa6f7584d5c.jpeg

3 hours ago, MJCM said:

I am looking at your opening post and there it mentions some programs (streaming??)

I have no idea when you get the 3Bb TV box if you can install those programs (for streaming) on there or even on your TV.

Another idea would be that you buy an android box which you connect with a Ethernet cable (supplied with the Router) to the 3BB router and then via a HDMI cable to your TV.

Not getting the 3BB TV box subscription will save you a bit of money every month as well.

I have no idea about the Android boxes or what to buy.

Can any of you guys who have 3BB and smart TVs verify that you can still install APKs like RedBox TV or tubi and so forth, and watch UK, USA, Aust TV channels and movie channels?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, grain said:

Can any of you guys who have 3BB and smart TVs verify that you can still install APKs like RedBox TV or tubi and so forth, and watch UK, USA, Aust TV channels and movie channels?

I looked at my Samsung Smart TVand there it seems that I can only install apps from the official appstore. 

will have a better look later on as I went to Doctor appointment 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MJCM said:

@Mutt Daeng

Here is how it should look in the ASUS after they set your 3BB router in Bridge mode, that password they WILL NOT give me

asus.JPG.69b5a846d89236133aa28341fd21c231.JPG

This is my router wan config. The userid & password were on the documentation that was posted to our house after we signed up for the 3BB 200/50 service.

Image2.jpg

Image1.jpg

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've since heard back from a good friend who lives in Pattaya and has 3BB, no restrictions whatsoever, he's constantly installing new APKs and watching TV channels from all around the world.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

This is my router wan config. The userid & password were on the documentation that was posted to our house after we signed up for the 3BB 200/50 service.

Image2.jpg

Image1.jpg

Just to be clear, I am talking about the PPPoE userid & password in this post.

Edited by Mutt Daeng

11 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Image2.jpg

Image1.jpg

Yep that is how it should be, but that last Document we defintely don't have / did not get.

And when asked about the Userid/Password they (as already said) don't give it to us.

Your Router is in Bridge Mode definitely, mine is not, but oke.

2 hours ago, grain said:

I've since heard back from a good friend who lives in Pattaya and has 3BB, no restrictions whatsoever, he's constantly installing new APKs and watching TV channels from all around the world.

Good for you.

I don't use my 3BB Box any more but use an Apple TV.

They only thing I recall is that Netflix APK will not install on that 3BB box but that was a limitation of Netflix. This was already a while ago maybe someone found a way to do it?

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

Yep that is how it should be, but that last Document we defintely don't have / did not get.

And when asked about the Userid/Password they (as already said) don't give it to us.

Your Router is in Bridge Mode definitely, mine is not, but oke.

Maybe 3BB have changed their policy of providing this information. Or could be simply a case of one office behaving differently to another, which as we all know is common here.

• Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Maybe 3BB have changed their policy of providing this information. Or could be simply a case of one office behaving differently to another, which as we all know is common here.

:thumbsup:

How long ago was your install? Mine just over 2 years now.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MJCM said:

:thumbsup:

How long ago was your install? Mine just over 2 years now.

We signed up for the 200/50 service in December 2016, but it took them until May 2017 to put the infrastructure in place so we could connect. So 6 years in May. We had to wait until a certain number of customers had signed up (10 I think) before anything happened.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mutt Daeng said:

We had to wait until a certain number of customers had signed up (10 I think) before anything happened.

If I waited until that time I would still be waiting.

We paid a substantial amount to get our house connected, but it took from start to finish 4+ months and I have no idea in total how many phone calls to their service number and visit to their Shop.

The breakthrough finally was that we saw one of their repair crew in the area and talked to them, and they got the ball rolling for us (after a brown envelope changed hands :whistling: )

• Thumbs Up 1

We signed up yesterday, as it turns out they were offering a promotion on the day. 1GB/300 + a bunch of TV channels (several in English) for 420Bt a month X 24 months. They said there's a wait of 2 weeks before installation, but that's no problem as we're going on a 2 week holiday to Nong Khai and Lao. So after we return they'll do the install. 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, bronxFrankie said:

Same, I called and bridge mode was initiated by 3BB at their end, no site visit required by 3BB.

I can put the 3BB router in Bridge mode myself, that is NOT the ISSUE,

The Password and the Userid to have your OTHER router connect to the 3BB network (via PPoE) is the issue. They wont give us that.

Edited by MJCM

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

I can put the 3BB router in Bridge mode myself, that is NOT the ISSUE,

The Password and the Userid to have your OTHER router connect to the 3BB network (via PPoE) is the issue. They wont give us that.

They gave it to me, and It is part of the installation order, and if you want it just login into the 3BB PON/router and get it yourself.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, bronxFrankie said:

They gave it to me, and It is part of the installation order, and if you want it just login into the 3BB PON/router and get it yourself.

not part of our installation order..

How to get it? Username is in clear text pwd isn’t.

3bb.JPG.38844221be50630eb6478098c0664406.JPG

this doesn’t seem to work

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/reveal-password-behind-asterisk-chrome-firefox/

edit: and I am hesitant to change it unless they gave us permission to do it.

Edited by MJCM