Immigration arrest three overstaying foreigners on Koh Phangan

webfact

15 hours ago, transam said:

To be given medals for catching a 6 and 9 day overstay seems rather petty to me.

Perhaps their efforts would more useful studying their systems for those who have gone missing, visa wise.....:coffee1:

Quite, seems a waste of resources for 5 or 6 officers to catch a couple of folks on short overstays, admittedly the third one on 188 days overstay is a different kettle of fish?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:
17 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Wow.  Where did it say that it took five IOs to find them?

It doesn't 'say' how many, but looking at the pictures, it would appear it took 4 for the woman and 6 for the Italian guy, one would assume as they are in the picture they had something to do with the investigation?

You chose to interpret the photos as categoric statements that it took that many IOs to arrest them, it doesn't suggest that and it's a stretch to suggest that it does but then why not use the photos to have another lame Thai-IO/RTP-bash?

• Sad 5

14 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Oh my...  None of those are the responsibility of the IB.  

Are you saying the different branches of the police don't help each other, even if they get intelligence?

No, I did not say anything of the sort and that wasn't the question.  IOs are not normally responsible for investigating that list of offences, they would usually be the remit of the "ordinary" RTP.

15 hours ago, Freed1948 said:

Oh my...  None of those are the responsibility of the IB.  

IB, are the police.

I know and I didn't say that they aren't police officers but there's a reason why their department is called the Immigration Bureau.  It's because their main responsibility is Immigration, not preventing or getting involved in the list of traffic, etc., offences that some poster bizarrely listed as something they should be looking into instead of Immigration offences, their actual remit.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, ozimoron said:

If overstayers were tolerated there would just be more of them. The same people who downplay visa overstays are the ones whose heads explode about illegal immigrants in their own countries. 

Apples and kangaroos 

15 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Apples and kangaroos 

Irrespective, it is the same people. 

And it is not apples and kangaroos. Many overstayers are seeking to live here for whatever reason. Many on both sides would consider themselves refugees. You probably don't agree which would prove my point. 

Edited by ozimoron

The Russian can always claim political asylum  claiming he fears for his life that Putin will send him to the front line in Ukraine to be killed . I bet there are many many Russians  on overstay as for the 6 and 9 day overstay just let them pay the 500 baht daily fine !

• Like 1

Just an observation from someone who lives on Samui.

Immigration are currently carrying out random checks on businesses (where foreigners work), private lets and small hotels/hostels.

There are various Samui Immigration/police Facebook pages with the details but the ones that I know of today are a hostel where the owner was given 24 hours to get up to date with TM 30's. (He has done none.)

A private business (shop) where the work permits were checked but there were no TM 30's recorded and the immigration people followed up with the landlord and gave him 24 hours to sort his shxtt out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Just an observation from someone who lives on Samui.

Immigration are currently carrying out random checks on businesses (where foreigners work), private lets and small hotels/hostels.

There are various Samui Immigration/police Facebook pages with the details but the ones that I know of today are a hostel where the owner was given 24 hours to get up to date with TM 30's. (He has done none.)

A private business (shop) where the work permits were checked but there were no TM 30's recorded and the immigration people followed up with the landlord and gave him 24 hours to sort his shxtt out.

As a follow up, is it possible for a foreigner to register a visitor online as part of the TM30 process? I was told a Thai ID was required.

On 3/8/2023 at 9:29 PM, ujayujay said:

Overstaying a visa is against immigration law. Joker! How's this in your Home- Country!?????????????

They don't chase those who are only on 6 days overstay, they have their priorities right.

1 month up, get their attention.

So many other problems could be solved, if IO who chasing those on 1-2 week overstay, was transfered to other department in the police, solve  more important problems like drugs, speeding, theft, violence etc.

IO is police, just another department. Use the officers to solve more serious problems than overstay.

Those officers in photos was involved in the case, either it's 4, 5 or 6.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Shocked farang said:

There's one who was arrested in a Cannabis shop (you can see the Cannabis leaf on the door), he should be pardoned as everyone knows, Cannabis make people forgetful! 

Only the illegal cannabis makes people forgetful. ????

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Shop mak said:

Chasing old people around the country who forgot, was sick, alzheimers, these stories has been reported numerous times.

Hardly a danger to society or the country

None of those circumstances apparently existed in these cases, they certainly weren't reported. 

You're not really suggesting that all offences that are "not a danger to society or the country" should be ignored and the laws unenforced are you?   How do you know that none of the people who were arrested for overstaying, in the last few years, say, weren't the danger you refer to?   You don't.

7 hours ago, Shop mak said:

Hardly a danger to society or the country

Are illegal aliens, i.e. visa overstayers, in your own country granted exemption from prosecution and subsequent consequences if they do not "pose a danger to society or your country"?   Didn't think so.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1

On 3/9/2023 at 10:53 AM, mikeymike100 said:
On 3/9/2023 at 10:12 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

You chose to interpret the photos as categoric statements that it took that many IOs to arrest them, it doesn't suggest that and it's a stretch to suggest that it does but then why not use the photos to have another lame Thai-IO/RTP-bash?

I didn't say anything of the sort. You need to get your facts right.

I didn't post that you did "say" anything, you need to get your facts right. 

I posted "you chose to interpret the photos as categoric statements that it took that many IOs to arrest them".   I posted that because that was what you did.  Nowhere did I say that you "said" anything.

• Confused 2

On 3/9/2023 at 10:38 AM, Smokey and the Bandit said:
On 3/9/2023 at 10:05 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

Blatantly obvious that it didn't suggest that it took all of them to arrest him.

Didn't mention ''arrest''.

You didn't have to, it was obvious that all the overstayers had been arrested.  

3 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Personally I think there should be a place at the airport you can go and pay a small charge for any overstay up to 30 days before checking in - after which it is more serious financially. Chasing down a week long over-stayer is just lunacy.

Would you allow over-stayer the same in your country? 

• Confused 2

On 3/9/2023 at 3:05 PM, crazykopite said:

The Russian can always claim political asylum  claiming he fears for his life that Putin will send him to the front line in Ukraine to be killed . I bet there are many many Russians  on overstay as for the 6 and 9 day overstay just let them pay the 500 baht daily fine !

They could claim but will still be locked up then v sent home. 

• Confused 1