Whoops! Avoiding cultural faux pas when visiting Thailand

snoop1130

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

FACE the all time fall back to not telling someone they are wrong in public.  

My GF refuses to send food back as she says the cook will loose FACE. We just don't eat it and never go back.....how can one learn from mistakes if not told.....end of rant.

New GF?????????

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

My GF refuses to send food back as she says the cook will loose FACE. We just don't eat it and never go back.....how can one learn from mistakes if not told.....end of rant.

I would have gobbled down her share.

After all, you paid for it.????????

41 minutes ago, ericthai said:

What about western guys that wear a crucifix on their necklaces? Are they primitive too? 

Don't they believe wearing a crucifix or some other religious medal is going to protect them? 

Yes they are...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

This text as been written probably a few decades ago.... There are so many more aspects of Thai culture or absence thereof beyond these mother goose statements.

That's right.... and some updated, like "get out of my way!!" on the road when a pick up is behind you...

3 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

Why I never eat out with Thai people. The sharing of food and utensils sends me insane. I sit on a table on my own until they finish and eat privately at home. I did it once and I can't eat spicy food. They all helped themselves to what I ordered and left me with nothing and I couldn't eat their spicy food. What's the point in ordering anything. 

As for the wearing of amulets that is more superstition than religion. More animism to accurate. 

I have shirked food a few times having seen it picked over with bare hands!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

Why I never eat out with Thai people. The sharing of food and utensils sends me insane. I sit on a table on my own until they finish and eat privately at home. I did it once and I can't eat spicy food. They all helped themselves to what I ordered and left me with nothing and I couldn't eat their spicy food. What's the point in ordering anything. 

As for the wearing of amulets that is more superstition than religion. More animism to accurate. 

Any relation to Bob??    :cheesy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

But strangers on the street? Who gives a rat's butt about this? It means nothing what they think, nor what they say about you. Nothing, less than zero. They count for nothing. They are just people, and people you do not know, nor will ever see again.

Agree with all you say. And the quote above is something I've many times written about on Facebook. People get upset, even suicidal, about comments from total strangers. Very strange. Even stranger, people such as sports stars or other high profile personalities, set up a social media platform which presents a ready-made platform for anyone to abuse them. They only have themselves to blame.

What they should do, and I guess there are many who do as they have a brain, is set up a profile with a name that no stranger could guess and give it only to those they trust. Would they give out their phone number to all and sundry? Of course not. Yet they give their on-line contact info out to the entire planet.

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What they should do, and I guess there are many who do as they have a brain, is set up a profile with a name that no stranger could guess and give it only to those they trust. 

That's what I do.

Works fine for the last 10 years.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Quite true but no way I am eating what the chef sends back after you have refused the dish.

5 hours ago, bangon04 said:

In Chinese culture, if you empty your plate it is a criticism of your host for not providing enough food.

Same tradition in my father's family, he always left one pea on the plate. Drove my mother crazy, her family ate everything. All 100% Devonshire (England) people. So these opposing 'cultures' are not confined to China and Thailand.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Phil1964 said:

Save face on both sides of the conversation!? Nope, Thais believe they are always right and <deleted> what anyone else might think or actually know. 

So many times when I disagree with something my Thai wife say, her response is "You not Thai. You not underscore". (understand) End of argument.

• Like 1

The problem I have with "Face" is that the holders of said Face believe that it is the responsibility of others to protect it rather than their own.

I have said to my wife many, many times: "If you don't want people to think/say you are a <deleted> then don't be a <deleted>".

• Like 2