Will gold shops buy non-Thai 18k gold

I went through this once in Malaysia.  I was considering buying gold as an investment, that I could cash in anywhere in the region.  One shopkeeper explained a lot of it to me, and I don't recall many details but suffice to say I was not encouraged, and props to the fellow for not trying to pull some stunt on the gwee low (sp?). 

Also had a gold wedding band from the US I had tried to sell off in LOS before this, no one was interested.  One fellow told me out here they like the very yellow-colored stuff.  I guess in Thailand they add something to it specifically for the color.

4 minutes ago, Tom H said:

No declaration from the import clearance, means it was illegal imported. Buying price reduced:).

Gold must be declared when you enter the country. 

My wife went to UK and back several times wearing gold also we worn our gold wedding rings nothing ever said.

As it's nothing to declare.

• Like 1

You dont want to sell in Thailand:).

So you dont have an issue with the price.

Law is law. Even not detected.????

Just inform yourself before you post nonsense.

Edited by Tom H
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, bendejo said:

I went through this once in Malaysia.  I was considering buying gold as an investment, that I could cash in anywhere in the region.  One shopkeeper explained a lot of it to me, and I don't recall many details but suffice to say I was not encouraged, and props to the fellow for not trying to pull some stunt on the gwee low (sp?). 

Also had a gold wedding band from the US I had tried to sell off in LOS before this, no one was interested.  One fellow told me out here they like the very yellow-colored stuff.  I guess in Thailand they add something to it specifically for the color.

I was told by a jeweler in OZ, that they add copper, whereas western gold it is silver. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I was told by a jeweler in OZ, that they add copper, whereas western gold it is silver. 

Thai goldsmiths add silver and bronze and copper is used as well to get colour of golds, there are many variations of gold but most Thais like the bright 23ct one. 

My wife like what she calls old gold because it is of darker colour that is a copper mix. 

Our wedding rings are Thai 18ct. 

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

No, in Thailand they don't add things for the color as it is almost pure gold. They add things in other countries so it is less pure gold.

They do add things for colour. 

• Haha 1

On 3/11/2023 at 12:26 PM, FritsSikkink said:

No, in Thailand they don't add things for the color as it is almost pure gold. They add things in other countries so it is less pure gold.

They have 3 color necklaces for sale. 

• Thanks 1

Years ago there was a gold buyer who would make the rounds. He bought all gold, price varied as to purity. I recall selling items I no longer wished to keep. A college ring - 10k, a wedding band - 18k, etc. I suspect independent dealers still exist ... no idea how to find them.