'We're asking for help to bring our boy home to Manchester so he's not alone as he fights for his life'

webfact

44 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

But clearly most any helmet is better than none, yes?

So you never rode without a helmet or drove without a seatbelt? 

I'm no expert on helmets, but if it hasn't been tested it could cause more harm than good, no I have never rode my motorcycle without a helmet or driven a car within a seatbelt ........

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The point he makes is that they are extremely cheap and are relatively ineffective compared to approved helmets we are used to in many of our home nations. 

The protection such helmets may provide is somewhat minimal from an impact point of view, such helmets may protect from scratches etc their effectiveness as ‘helmet’ minimal - my Son’s bicycle helmet is significantly better than these ‘plastic lids’ you seem to be sticking up for. 

There is also the additional facet that ‘renters’ without a better option use such helmets - rental agencies should be forced to provide proper helmets. 

I rented a motorcycle while sandboxing in Phuket, I bought my own helmet. 

Thank you, you obviously don't wear the cheap helmets as you have some brains & common sense that needs protecting.....

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So you never rode without a helmet or drove without a seatbelt? 

To be honest, and I can't speak for others - I've go so used to doing both that I don't feel right without doing either.

I'l  put my hands up and say I do ride my Scoopy to the village shop occasionally without a helmet. However, that's 2km up a country lane where the other traffic is very slow and there's not much of it. I wouldn't dream of going anywhere near a major road on either the Scoopy or my ER6.

With seatbelts, if I don't put mine on, it just doesn't feel right and I have to put it on within a few metres.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Your position seems to be that when an individual breaks the law, it's the law's fault for not severely punishing every infraction? 

And 50 - 100 baht roadside fines for not wearing a helmet has done what to encourage Thai people to wear one?

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The point he makes is that they are extremely cheap and are relatively ineffective compared to approved helmets we are used to in many of our home nations. 

The protection such helmets may provide is somewhat minimal from an impact point of view, such helmets may protect from scratches etc their effectiveness as ‘helmet’ minimal - my Son’s bicycle helmet is significantly better than these ‘plastic lids’ you seem to be sticking up for. 

There is also the additional facet that ‘renters’ without a better option use such helmets - rental agencies should be forced to provide proper helmets. 

I rented a motorcycle while sandboxing in Phuket, I bought my own helmet. 

The cheap helmets do provide an excepted level of protection.

for minor accidents.

Even the latest top of the range Shark lid, won't save you in some accidents.  it's a roll of the dice every day here. 

had about 9125, rolls so far :giggle:

I could never sit at the traffic lights in Thailand with a full  face lid on. slowly melting. which is what that poster is on about, I think.

But here is the thing with hiring motor bikes,  and the helmets you get given,  same as if you take a motor cycle taxi.

They are rarely the correct size and the user never does the helmet up correctly. or the latch is defective.

( that will do and off they go ) 

Well done for getting your own. totally under stand that.

Edited by quake
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

With seatbelts, if I don't put mine on, it just doesn't feel right and I have to put it on within a few metres.

That's down to education and training.  I haven't driven without a seat-belt since high school (age of 8-tracks), or ridden a bicycle without a helmet the past half million kilometers.

I can't imagine driving the wrong way down the side of a major highway to save a few seconds by avoiding the U-turn.  I feel nauseous just thinking about it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, quake said:

I could never sit at the traffic lights in Thailand with a full  face lid on. slowly melting. witch is what that poster is on about, i think.

Neither can I - that's why I use a modular helmet (Bell) where the entire front lifts up or only the visor.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, quake said:

Total rubbish.

There are no 39 baht motor bike crash helmets. 150 baht yes.

They would provide some protection at normal speeds around town.

Stop your Bs.

Sorry my mistake, you are absolutely spot on, there is no way you can buy a motorcycle helmet for 39 baht, i forgot to add the delivery charge that would bump up the total cost to 77 baht, it all still sounds too good to be true & possibly a cheap copy of the original, I wasn't sure whether I could put the link on here for you to see, but it starts with a capital L & ends in a lower case a......Have a look & let me know if it has a slight resembelance to the ones that are supplied with rented bikes?

Edited by Bazerino
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bazerino said:

Sorry my mistake, you are absolutely spot on, there is no way you can buy a motorcycle helmet for 39 baht, i forgot to add the delivery charge that would bump up the total cost to 77 baht, it all still sounds too good to be true & possibly a cheap copy of the original, I wasn't sure whether I could put the link on here for you to see, but it starts with a capital L & ends in a lower case a......Have a look & let me know if it has a slight resembelance to the ones that are supplied with rented bikes?

Its ok , you can say lazada. they won't send one of the boys round.

No I won't look. thank you.

Ps had to have a look.

yes 39 baht. was 69  baht 43% discount.

Ok man i will give you that. :jap:

Edited by quake

7 minutes ago, Bazerino said:

You should check those Lazada/Shopee ads before you post.  The ads typically give a half dozen options - 5 colors of helmet, or a replacement face shield (or stick-on cat ears).  The face shield is 39 baht, the helmets will be 149.  The lowest price shows up on the search page.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

To be honest, and I can't speak for others - I've go so used to doing both that I don't feel right without doing either.

I'l  put my hands up and say I do ride my Scoopy to the village shop occasionally without a helmet. However, that's 2km up a country lane where the other traffic is very slow and there's not much of it. I wouldn't dream of going anywhere near a major road on either the Scoopy or my ER6.

Yeh I understand, my girlfriend does the same, but you only have to be t-boned by a another bike or car & the force of your head hitting the ground is enough to cause a fractured skull or possibly worse, the chances of having an accident pottering around your quite little thai village without a helmet is minimal, but there are a few individuals who race around without any consideration for anyone but themselves, like they say in Thailand, it's up to you.......

2 hours ago, Jiggo said:
6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, there's no indication of that at all.

Also no indication that it may not be true.

On the contrary, the fact that it has not been mentioned at all, anywhere, is a pretty good indication that there's nothing to your unwarranted assertion.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 3/11/2023 at 5:55 AM, Keep Right said:

Very sad indeed and I certainly wish him well but, maybe the news of this accident will prevent more foreigners from getting on a motorbike in Thailand and putting their life in severe danger. It seems like every week or more often you read about another life threatening motorbike accident. Only a fool rides a motorbike in Thailand. I have done it in the past and I admit, I was a stupid fool. It is only a matter of time, the odds will catch up to you.

i totally agree, ive ridden motorcycles for 35 years, consider myself a good driver, but driving in Thailand is puting yourself at risk. too many other people on the road that should be nowhere near a truck, car bike whatever. i had an accident about 10 years ago , ended up a quick visit to hospital to be checked over, blood tests, it was all my fault, police told me , if i not here it not happen.. i was wearing a   helmet, but it came off after the impact and i bumped my head on the ground knocking me out.. apart from a few scrapes, and concussion i was lucky.. 50, 000 baht i had to pay though.. driver of pick up wanted 30 thousand for damages, but when i couldnt pay on the spot, the police were involved which went up to 50 thousand.. i couldnt remember much of what happened due to concussion, but i know i wasnt drunk, even though they tried to tell me i was, pay up the fine or go to jail.. 3 months later a girl approached me in a bar and said she saw the accident, said i stopped to let the truck pass but he stopped,  flashed to let me go,, when i drove on he ploughed into me.. when i went to pay the fine the next morning the driver was in the cop shop laughing and joking with the police, i later found out this guy had done this before, a scam, and the police involved.. ,, the same police a couple of years later tried to scam me for drink driving , said i was over the limit.. i didnt drink at the time.. impossible to be over the limit..they pulled over a few others at same checkpoint and everyone had same reading on the same metre.. scum.. nowadays i dont drive in Thailand, not worth it.. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Faltu said:

The solution is already mentioned. Buy an insurance that cover evacuation also. 

I would have thought it was clear to the most obtuse observer that ship has sailed... so you haven't got a solution have you?

Edited by kwilco
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, kwilco said:

I would have thought it was clear to the most obtuse observer that ship has sailed... so you haven't got a solution have you?

Reminder to others who would come after him. He is not the last one. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Faltu said:

Reminder to others who would come after him. He is not the last one. 

No one thinks ‘it will happen to them’...   we can only take precautions if we consider the risk. 

When I first came to Thailand (in my early 20’s with work) I didn’t think about whether I was fully insured etc... I was too young to care. 

I don’t blame young people for not having insurance, I blame the lack of instance and regulations that should force them to travel with insurance (i.e in the same manner Thai’s have to have travel insurance with a Schengen visa). 

Do you wear compression socks on a flight to reduce your risk of DVT ???...   you probably never thought about it right ?... (or many haven’t)...  Yet it's a risk some of us are very aware of. I know its a different subject, but it highlights the risk some of us are aware of while others aren’t.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Meanwhile, global statistics show that a high percentage of road accidents and fatalities occur within a few kilometers of the victim's abode.

Google it, I can't be arsed.

3 hours ago, Prince77 said:

Very much about time that anybody who puts his foot on Thai soil MUST have a competent travel-, health- and accident insurance offering ALL possible accidents or health issues in relation to a corresponding insurance premium - means: if you want to scuba diving, rent a bike or car, para sailing.... any other activity containing higher risks for accidents.... you will have to pay more premium. No insurance, no entry.

How about making it easy for all us knowitalls queuing up at Thai airport inbound immigration and just don't let these people board their flight to paradise in the first place?

No insurance, no flight.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Prince77 said:

Very much about time that anybody who puts his foot on Thai soil MUST have a competent travel-, health- and accident insurance offering ALL possible accidents or health issues in relation to a corresponding insurance premium - means: if you want to scuba diving, rent a bike or car, para sailing.... any other activity containing higher risks for accidents.... you will have to pay more premium. No insurance, no entry.

And the insurance would be voided if you had consumed alcohol 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Thanks for the clarification. I guess when it comes to holiday insurance then, they are just dumb as a box of rocks.

pretty much , I guess many see it as a  (un)calculated risk,  I mean for every story like this there are millions who have an uneventful holiday,  It never happens to "me " does it. ?   Then again if you know in your mind you will be behaving like this guy , there would be no point in buying any insurance if that insurance would be voided by ones own behaviour  That would be stupid. Nearly as stupid as riding a motorcycle when drunk

• Like 1

I have read some other articles about similar incidents, one of which had insurance but claim was being held up, denied, investigated etc.  If one is found DUI the insurance company may not pay up.  Not wearing a helmet, may not pay up.  I question the veracity of any temporary insurance.  Man companies advertise a lot, take money, but actually getting a claim paid or paid promptly is a big issue. 

40 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

How about making it easy for all us knowitalls queuing up at Thai airport inbound immigration and just don't let these people board their flight to paradise in the first place?

No insurance, no flight.

Too simplistic ,   it would also be necessary to regulate their behavior , . to ensure their actions did not void their insurance.  Its not going to happen is it ?     Making insurance compulsory would only result in higher insurance premiums for everybody when the insurance companies have to pay out mega bucks for cases similar this.  Better to let some people "self insure" with gofundme, there is less small print,  there's often generous payouts, and no knock on price increases for the rest of us  that's  a win-win is it not.?  (or more accurately win-win-win) 

• Like 1