Why do some people keep saying Thailand is a very conservative country when it comes to skimpy outfits ?

Chanthea

I ask you Is a beach sarong for wearing to and from the beach supposed to be worn while playing in the sand, kicking water up upon the shore and taking pics ?

modesty still lives at the tha laeh !

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Thai women won't leave the house braless, not even if their life depended on it

I was at a restaurant/bar the other night , its quite comical at times to see the waitresses  covering their

breast line when serving food and drinks !

There was one young lady that walked around with her hand positioned at the breast line practically the whole night while wearing a off the shoulder top.

It must’ve been very uncomfortable for her to wear this and act modest at the same time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Chanthea said:

I mean plenty of Thai girls wear tiny booty shorts that barely cover anything. 

The conservatism is related to their upper body, not their legs. Though it seems to have changed, shoulders always had to be covered, as with bellies. Crop tops were a no no.

Lots of things have changed though. By the time I left LOS, girls seemed to have stopped holding hands, which used to be common, and the real Thai smile pretty much vanished etc.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

They are certainly modest at the beach. Many swim fully clothed. What a bizarre sight. 

Perhaps that is more to reduce exposure to the sun?

Some of the clothed but clinging outfits on various Siamese Venuses emerging from the waves leave little to the imagination - corr lovely!

On which note, off to make a pot of tea...

I fondly recall my early visits to Pattaya. I always had "Chin" as my gf for the visits. Yep, a cute bargirl but ... when her Mother came for a visit to take Chin's young Daughter to the sea ... Ching was fully clothed in jeans and a dress to go into the sea. Traditional Isaan Thai culture reflected. I did a lot of reading about Thai society, history, politics, culture so the dichotomy observations did not come as a surprise. As a student of history, it had me reflecting on my home country's seeming dichotomies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

They are certainly modest at the beach. Many swim fully clothed. What a bizarre sight. 

I think that is more to avoid the sun, and looking like a outdoor laborer.  Same when it's lovely outside, or headed to high temps 30C+ and they have a light jacket on.

• Like 2

I have lived in Bangkok almost three years. I have never seen women walking around streets , malls , etc.,  with ultra revealing clothing.  Some wearing gym clothes, short skirt.  But not with their butt cheeks hanging out. And the so called non conservative stereotype clothes were fashionable.  Except maybe if they were freelancers. 
If a person wants ongoing ultra conservative  dressed women.  There are plenty of Muslim countries to go to.  

• Like 1