Why do some people keep saying Thailand is a very conservative country when it comes to skimpy outfits ?

Chanthea

Thai women in villages went bra-less until sometime in the 1930 (I believe) when the Thai government literally dictated a dress-code that was very Western.
So revealing clothing doesn't get much of a reaction from even conservative rural Thais.
My own wife said her mom often when bra-less up until the 1960s when she was a kid.

Thai_culture_poster.PNG.4cfc79f0b13c73a1ecaac201b9ac87eb.PNG

Edited by connda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

I was at a restaurant a few months ago and there was a Thai customer who was in her early 30s eating with her family (appeared o be parents and children) She was wearing what I will call very tight and revealing yoga pants. 

I found it difficult not to stare because I swear she was smuggling a yo-yo in those pants!

My only experience with very skimpy went one step further. First time ever in LOS (30+ years ago) Friend took me to a bar in the depths os small lanes in Patpong which had dancing girls and dancing boys all in short shorts then they came off to reveal small tight bikinis (girls and boys), then 10 minutes later full nude, girls and boys together on the dancing stages full nude, with some of the boys keeping themselves erect and one by one coming off the stage and dancing very close to 2 hot young Japanese female customers. With strong encouragement by the mamasan the 2 JP girls quickly selected 2 boys and gone.

I'm not a regular bar visitor but that's the only time I ever saw that activity.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

I've never seen a woman in a bathing suit in the 25 years that I've lived here.

Now you again.

Depends on where you go and who the girls are with

The funny thing I laugh at is the girls that go swimming with their clothes on but their clothes consist of a white blouse and bra. 

Talk about a panic when they got back into the boat the GF made me give one my t-shirt, and she gave the other one a towel.

Girls here dress conservatively depending mostly on where they are going and what their aim is.

I am starting to see a lot of tight and not-so-conservative clothing on young thais at Siam Paragon when they are with BF 

The other time the young ones are not so modest is when they are on the hunt.

Hell even the girls that work at NANA or in the bar area dress relatively conservatively.

20 minutes ago, scorecard said:

My only experience with very skimpy went one step further. First time ever in LOS (30+ years ago) Friend took me to a bar in the depths os small lanes in Patpong which had dancing girls and dancing boys all in short shorts then they came off to reveal small tight bikinis (girls and boys), then 10 minutes later full nude, girls and boys together on the dancing stages full nude, with some of the boys keeping themselves erect and one by one coming off the stage and dancing very close to 2 hot young Japanese female customers. With strong encouragement by the mamasan the 2 JP girls quickly selected 2 boys and gone.

I'm not a regular bar visitor but that's the only time I ever saw that activity.

I had similar experiences..... and yes, also in PP nearly 30 years ago. I can surely say you don't find those kind of shows around anymore. 

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

They are certainly modest at the beach. Many swim fully clothed. What a bizarre sight. 

That's to stop getting dark skin.

I remember the first Thai girl I met in Samui (cashier ????) wore cap, jeans and a long sleeve shirt to the beach in the day time then as soon as the sun went down it was a short skirt and skimpy top. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

I've never seen a woman in a bathing suit in the 25 years that I've lived here.

Now you again.

Can't have taken the Thai GF to the beach then. My first GF wore a one piece with a short skirt attached.

Far as I could see, bikinis were something that Thai girls wore in gogos.

6 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

I was at a restaurant a few months ago and there was a Thai customer who was in her early 30s eating with her family (appeared o be parents and children) She was wearing what I will call very tight and revealing yoga pants. 

I found it difficult not to stare because I swear she was smuggling a yo-yo in those pants!

I wonder if she too subsequently noticed the gun in your pocket..? ???? ???? 

Edited by nchuckle
  • Haha 1

So Mrs G not a youngster anymore.

But even back in the day, never wore a bikini, always a one piece.

Bra to bed, never

Braless at home, often

Braless outside, never

And waaay past Daisy Duke shorts lol

4 hours ago, connda said:

Thai women in villages went bra-less until sometime in the 1930 (I believe) when the Thai government literally dictated a dress-code that was very Western.
So revealing clothing doesn't get much of a reaction from even conservative rural Thais.
My own wife said her mom often when bra-less up until the 1960s when she was a kid.

Thai_culture_poster.PNG.4cfc79f0b13c73a1ecaac201b9ac87eb.PNG

Thats a fascinating piece of history, thats for sharing

One difference I notice with wearing skirts is that Thai women tend to wear shorts/tights under them whereas westerners either not wear any or wear panties. If you ask me it should be the other way around. Some westerners in short skirts are just not nice to look at. 

Watching a movie (Farang movie) you are not allowed to see cleavage (breast or butt) because it is blurred out by the censor, along with the actual cigarette and the actual alcohol label.

Of course you can show people being shot in the face with a 9mm gun or having their faces hacked off with a samurai sword, but hey, the kids have to be protected from dangerous stuff like underwear, right?

Edited by bangon04
  • Like 2

On 3/12/2023 at 1:56 PM, Chanthea said:

I find it highly surprising when some people keep saying Thai women dress very conservatively and almost never wear skimpy outfits.

These people basically mean a select group of old fashioned, traditional and probably hiso girls who they want to pretend are representative of "Thai people".  That is the ideal Thailand that they want to imagine is the "real Thailand", with everything else ignored.

There are going to be women like that, but I doubt they are in the majority (based on how wealth is distributed within Thailand).

• Like 2

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

They are certainly modest at the beach. Many swim fully clothed. What a bizarre sight. 

Not sure if that is due to modesty or trying to keep the sun off their skin. After all it IS crucial to remain white skinned.

• Haha 1

I read this post at the perfect time!  I am a little outside od BKK where there are no “ladies of the night”. Two super slim Thai hotties wearing those tiny shorts. Their bodies looked perfect for my taste, and they looked young but old enough. Unfortunately, they were both wearing thos goddamn MASKS!  Definitely not trying to hit on presumably legal aged teens with masks on because…I can only presume. My guestimate- between 18-20. Reality, could have been much older or even worse younger. Stop withe th masks, already!

p.s.  i used to agree that everyone wears mask. Like 3 years ago. Why are they still wearing them?  

6 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

One difference I notice with wearing skirts is that Thai women tend to wear shorts/tights under them whereas westerners either not wear any or wear panties. If you ask me it should be the other way around. Some westerners in short skirts are just not nice to look at. 

Do you spend a lot of time looking up girls skirts to see what's there ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

Old woman often don't wear bras especially when pottering around the house or garden.

In the non-tourist areas (and outside trendy Bangkok) women tend to dress conservatively, but there are always exceptions of course.

What I find a bit disconcerting is that Thai women (including teenagers) will often parade around the house in just a towel, or loose night-dress, even when a male non-relative (such as myself) is present. They don't do it to be provocative, they are just acting normally and would be horrified if you took it as a 'come on'.

That's very disconcerting to hear, you may have developed a towel fetish, which is fine I suppose (as long as no one gets hurt)  but unfortunately there also seem to be underlying associated feelings of guilt, as you seem unable to accept that  they may indeed  be doing it to be provocative.  Maybe you just have that effect on women

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

What I find a bit disconcerting is that Thai women (including teenagers) will often parade around the house in just a towel, or loose night-dress, even when a male non-relative (such as myself) is present. They don't do it to be provocative, they are just acting normally and would be horrified if you took it as a 'come on'.

Is that ALL Thai woman, or just one particular person ?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

Many, indeed  most western women I have seen in Thailand are not nice to look at whatever they wear, that's one of the reasons  why we are here isn't it?

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Its unfortunate that some western tourists don't follow their example, I'd prefer a "bizarre" sight to a revolting sight

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Its unfortunate that some western tourists don't follow their example, I'd prefer a "bizarre" sight to a revolting sight

• Haha 1