Thai women call for protection in the sex industry

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The groups also called for a range of broader measures to support women in the sex industry. This includes extending paid maternity leave to 180 days, period leave for workers who suffer from menstrual pains, and monthly financial assistance of 3,000 baht for each month of pregnancy.

Are they dreaming? Given that most BGs seem to move around different bars or even only do it for a short time ( in the farang scene- I don't know the arrangement in the Thai scene ), how would they be with the same employer long enough to get those benefits, and how many bars in eg Pattaya could even afford them?

I don't know which organisation covers workers in the farang scene ( is there even one at all ), but sounds like they want to change the scene altogether, and force BGs to stay with the same bar, also have to pay fees to the organisation, or are they thinking that all BGs have to belong to an organisation that covers all of them, regardless of which bar they work in? Still ends up with them having to pay fees, even if they don't get many customers.

Perhaps they want to go the Singapore way ( in the 70s ) and force them to work in brothels, short time only.

3 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Yes, they should be legalized and educate them about savings, borrowing, etc. and let them participate in some type of savings scheme.

They already can do that, and most probably went to school so are educated.

They already have a savings scheme, called banks.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

hoping to create a safer environment for women in the industry.

Let's start with the pimps. 

The bar owners who use these girls to attract customers. 

Offer their working girls the benefits outlined above. 

Edited by Cricky
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Make it legal, let them have health insurance like anybody else, and no police extortion of the girls.

Almost anybody will agree on that. Because it takes reality and makes it better.

Forget about maternity leave and stupid ideas like that.

• Like 1

Any thoughts on the period pain leave for women? I can't help feel they're taking the mickey at this point. If they want to be treated equally in the workplace, having a few days holiday per month for a stomach ache is absurd to me. Take a paracetamol or something, like they would do at home anyway and get on with it. 

• Sad 1

On 3/13/2023 at 5:45 AM, hellohello123 said:

But i thought prostitution didnt exist........

Exactly, theref ore any recognition would have to come with the Government accpting that not only does Prostitution exist that it is also a major money earner, the downside from the womens point of view will betaxed income op get the neefits they6 require, therefore an already black economy will get pushed further underground to avoid any money earned becoming taxed. . QUoing from one female i knew vaguely at approx two/three men a DAY , THAT EQUATED TO APPROX over 130000 baht a month. Pay tax, nope !!

!!1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They already can do that, and most probably went to school so are educated.

They already have a savings scheme, called banks.

They are very clued up on deposits and withdrawals...

• Haha 1

Doctor condom said this in 90s protection from STD etc, Nothing new , ???? % legalise prostitution look after them they carried Thailand while on there backs ! who cares do whats right RTP Be upset tho????????????! l use to like beer or 2 in my days Always hostess  ask want condom yes pl's , non drinker these days.

Edited by Mad mick

Can't "have your cake and eat it" too. Thai prostitutes have enjoyed tax free income above and beyond minimum wages, often well into high middle income earners for the younger prettier ladies. 

Then add sponsors on top of that (many with multiple sponsors).  Add the suckers who buys them a house, car, jewelery, etc and then get dumped to rinse/repeat.  

Add on the Thai prostitute export business with ladies doing trips to places like Dubai, Korea, Japan where they make serious income and no tax.  

If there was some sort of new regulation and rights given, it's obvious real income would not be accurately declared and Thai women would rort the system so when "up the duff" or having a period they can top up with government subsidies. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, watchcat said:

Can you name a company that would insure a hooker for health insurance.

In Thailand it seems there is a government sponsored health insurance (or whatever it is called).

Why should they not cover prostitutes?

The oldest insurance members are responsible for most of the cost. I.e. Cancer treatment for years cost a lot more than a few STDs. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In Thailand it seems there is a government sponsored health insurance (or whatever it is called).

If you mean the 30 baht insurance (Which actually is  free) they will sort it out. I was talking about private insurance companies. So, what are they complaining about?

Hard to believe for some people, but many of these girls make more then you.

A UK pension is about 35,000 b a month?  I bet the many of these girls make more several I know make more then 100,000 b a month.

My point is they have money to pay into some sort of system to help them.  I think it would be foolish for the government to just give them benefits without the women participating in the costs.

2 hours ago, aussienam said:

Then add sponsors on top of that

Indeed. This is a huge portion of the Thai economy that goes unreported. Every time they bring up the percentage of the Thai GDP that's tourism, they grossly underestimate it to save face. They won't readily admit how reliant they are on the rest of the world coming in, yet during the Covid lockdown this became clear.

What percentage of the Issan population can buy all those big TVs and fridges in Homepro and Thai Watsadu, or qualify for credit? Yet somehow they're moving, and they very well can't move themselves.

1 hour ago, watchcat said:

If you mean the 30 baht insurance (Which actually is  free) they will sort it out. I was talking about private insurance companies. So, what are they complaining about?

No, I am not talking about the 30B insurance and I am not talking about private insurance. I talk about that insurance which many (all?) Thai employees have.