Medical professional associations offer advice over dangerously poor air quality

webfact

image.jpeg

The Royal College of Physicians of Thailand and five other medical professional associations have issued a six-point guideline to help the public to protect themselves from the threat posed by high levels of PM2.5 dust pollution.

They point out that children, pregnant women, elderly people and those afflicted with chronic heart, lung, kidney or brain diseases are most at risk from fine PM2.5 dust, which may cause respiratory conditions, stroke or kidney disease.

The public should check the air quality reports from state or private information centres on a regular basis when planning their daily activities, in order to limit their exposure to excessive PM2.5 dust.

They should suspend or reduce outdoor activities and wear face masks whenever they are in areas where the PM2.5 level exceeds 50 microns. If the level is more than 100 microns, they should suspend all outdoor activities, except those who have to perform public services, and wear N95 face masks all the time when they are outdoors.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/medical-professional-associations-offer-advice-over-dangerously-poor-air-quality/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-03-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 3

Almost nowhere on Earth is safe in terms of air quality: study

https://www.ctvnews.ca/climate-and-environment/almost-nowhere-on-earth-is-safe-in-terms-of-air-quality-study-1.6310186

When it comes to air quality, almost nobody on Earth is safe, according to a new study.

We are constantly breathing in fine particulate matter detrimental to our health in nearly every place across the planet, researchers found, with only 0.001 per cent of the global population being exposed to levels of particulate matter considered safe by the World Health Organization (WHO).

Researchers found that the daily levels of fine particular matter had been decreasing in Europe and North America in the two decades leading up 2019. However, in the same time period, levels increased in Southern Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Latin America and the Caribbean.

• Confused 1

Maybe start with solution to get less polution.. Today on the news over 7 years there will more electric vehicles... other news is that Thailand want to help other countries with their waste..... Why in the western world can there be cities with zones for only vehicles younger than 6 years to prevent pollution. In teh wester n world there has been a big cleaning of the old cars which polluting more... Why can't here? If I see some cars they are pre WWII cars it seems and others are at least 40 or 50 years old and some even almost fall apart.. Why not a program to get them off the road and buy younger ones with help of the Government.. It will be better than travel together

21 hours ago, Venom said:

So the solution is that kids can't play football in the afternoons anymore and should just stay home and play on their phones all day? 

It is not a 'solution' as much as a health measure.  Sad really. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 3/12/2023 at 10:34 AM, webfact said:

They should suspend or reduce outdoor activities and wear face masks whenever they are in areas where the PM2.5 level exceeds 50 microns.

???? That would be a very short list of places that qualify for not needing caution

Edited by mania

On 3/13/2023 at 6:35 AM, mikebell said:

How does staying in doors stop air from entering the house?

I don't find it gets in, as long as doors and windows are shut obviously.

I turned on my air filter when I got home from the office yesterday, outside was really bad, AQI was about 150. As soon as I turned it on it the AQI was reading 22. After ten minutes it was down to about 10.

22 is perfectly safe. So it would appear that it doesn't really enter the house (or condo in my case).

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 3:34 AM, webfact said:

The Royal College of Physicians of Thailand and five other medical professional associations have issued a six-point guideline to help the public to protect themselves from the threat posed by high levels of PM2.5 dust pollution

Only one thing is needed.

Get rid of this totally inept government and all it's seedy attachments.

Install a government that cares about it's people.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/13/2023 at 3:34 AM, webfact said:

The public should check the air quality reports from state or private information centres on a regular basis when planning their daily activities, in order to limit their exposure to excessive PM2.5 dust.

Does that go for tourists as well, I wonder if that's printed on the front page of the Thailand must visit brochure?

• Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I turned on my air filter when I got home from the office yesterday, outside was really bad, AQI was about 150. As soon as I turned it on it the AQI was reading 22. After ten minutes it was down to about 10.

22 is perfectly safe. So it would appear that it doesn't really enter the house (or condo in my case).

Okay if you don't go outside?

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Okay if you don't go outside?

No, that wasn't my point. I find it irritating that I cannot do outside activities and I don't find it acceptable.

My point was that it doesn't really get inside if you close doors and windows. Nothing more...

• Thumbs Up 2

21 hours ago, JonnyF said:

This air filter sounds a good idea.  I don't think any dwelling is 100% airtight.  Your filter won't stop bad air from entering the house but will clean it faster than it enters.  Unfortunately I have a house.  Maybe I could install one in my study; are they portable?

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

This air filter sounds a good idea.  I don't think any dwelling is 100% airtight.  Your filter won't stop bad air from entering the house but will clean it faster than it enters.  Unfortunately I have a house.  Maybe I could install one in my study; are they portable?

Yeah they are portable. Mine connects to the Wifi so I can turn it on and off with my phone. Quite handy.

True they are not 100% airtight, but if I leave in the morning and it's 10, it might be around 20 when I get home. Maybe a bit gets under the door during the day or maybe it's just me opening the door twice when I leave and return. If I open my sliding doors to the balcony for 5 minutes, it shoots up to 60 very quickly.

It's handy to have just to turn on for 5 minutes. Get a reading and if it's around the 20 mark turn it off again. Otherwise leave it on for an hour.

On 3/13/2023 at 6:35 AM, mikebell said:

How does staying in doors stop air from entering the house?

Unless all the windows are closed and you have aircon and very good filters then I don't think it will. As you say in most cases I don't think it'll make much difference

On 3/14/2023 at 9:20 AM, hotchilli said:

Does that go for tourists as well, I wonder if that's printed on the front page of the Thailand must visit brochure?

I think that would count as the truth which I think is banned

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bang saen guy said:

Where can I find a home air quality meter?

There are dozens of types for sale on Lazada, Shoppee, other websites. I see one now that measures PM 2.5, PM 10, CO2, CO, etc. for about 700 Baht.