Do Expats become estranged and socially alienated ?

Yes, Dan about Thailand...this guy is a salesman/content provider/real estate agent I believe.  Cannot figure out how he "makes a living", but am a boomer and do not understand how people collecting subscribers and views make money online.

He needs a lot of income to raise a couple children and stay in fancy villas on Koh Chang and Jomtien and eat out at fancy restaurants...likely gets freebies for praising restaurants on his youtube and facebook channels.

He may be at a juncture where he sees his "content providing" really is not going to provide an income for the long haul, and real estate sales is a competitive market here in Thailand.  

I do not think he is estranged or alienated, yet because his lifestyle seems to be in the top 3% or so of expats here, not that many in his social wheelhouse. 

Yes, just speculating on much of this, yet have followed him online for a few years and this is my take.... 

Being a foreigner in a country where a majority of people don't speak English or your language can be very stressful. That's why it's important to build your own social circle. In fact, a lot of expats tend to congregate together and stay in designated expat communities.

Edited by JoseThailand
  • Like 1

I know every farang I see is likely a sexpat, running from the law, broke and about to ask me for money, or has or will have AIDS and has a CV similar to a blank page with their mom's number on it.

Farangs..............stay away, I don't speakie da inglieeeeeesheeeeee ABC

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BananaStrong said:

I know every farang I see is likely a sexpat, running from the law, broke and about to ask me for money, or has or will have AIDS and has a CV similar to a blank page with their mom's number on it.

Farangs..............stay away, I don't speakie da inglieeeeeesheeeeee ABC

Really, you must live in a dodgy area..............????

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I have no idea what this blokie is rambling about......

If his wife is from the UK, that's problem ONE.   divorce, immediately.  

Kids in Thailand in this pollution?  Should be arrested as a parent to make their kids suffer this air.

Not depressed, just trying to say something but I have no idea what it is.  If you are trying to use up all the internet on blah, blah, blah, then I get it.

Just now, transam said:

Really, you must live in a dodgy area..............????

Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Udon, Phuket, Pattaya, and every other single city in Thailand.  

Only the richest areas!!!!!  yes, super "dodgy".   Gotta use my farang spray if they get too close!!!

2 minutes ago, BananaStrong said:

Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Udon, Phuket, Pattaya, and every other single city in Thailand.  

Only the richest areas!!!!!  yes, super "dodgy".   Gotta use my farang spray if they get too close!!!

Oh, Brut...........????

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

Being a foreigner in a country where a majority of people don't speak English or your language can be very stressful. That's why it's important to build your own social circle. In fact, a lot of expats tend to congregate together and stay in designated expat communities.

Yeah, same like being a foreigner settling in a foreign country and not care about learning the language in the country he/she like to live in. That´s really ignorant and stupid!

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, same like being a foreigner settling in a foreign country and not care about learning the language in the country he/she like to live in. That´s really ignorant and stupid!

It may take years to learn the language to a truly conversational level beyond basic everyday phrases and expressions. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

12 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Really?  No trans or ladyboys outside the tourist areas? I do not know, just asking

I lived in the village for a while and didn't see any. Obviously that may not be true for every village, but their choice involves a lot of expense that would be unlikely able to afford as a rural worker.

Of course, those that become elderly may return to their village home.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

It may take years to learn the language to a truly conversational level beyond basic everyday phrases and expressions. 

You speak the truth, but some, it seems, are magically able to speak Thai conversationally after a couple of months in LOS.

I came to Thailand too late to discern tones, so my Thai language skills were somewhat restricted.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I find your post ignorant of the fact that Thai is not an easy language to learn, and almost impossible for those that can't discern tones.

It's also completely unnecessary for a farang living in Pattaya, Bkk or Chiang Mai.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There's also a broad swath of Thai men that are slightly effeminate (by USA standards). My personal trainer is def a soft and very sweet personality. He has a GF he's dodging marrying.

I like that everything here is more shades of gray than in the states: religious belief, sex roles, honesty. It feels very forgiving and freeing (even tho I know its not for Thai people).