Have you installed Windows 11 ?

thesa

I've just upgraded to Windows 11. My desktop PC has an unsupported CPU (7th Gen i5) but meets all the other requirements (32GB Ram, TPM v2 & secure boot). I used the Media Creation Tool to download the latest available Win 11 ISO and replaced the file appraiserres.dll in the Sources directory with the Windows 10 version and I was able to upgrade from Win 10 to Win 11. 

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/installing-windows-11-by-removing-appraiserres-dll-file.3879/

12 hours ago, BigStar said:

Of course it did. Win 7 been on mind a lot lately as I'm involved in upgrading a friend's PC from 7 to 10. Brain fart; I stayed on XP until Win 7 had been out a while.

Loved my XP, too. Had to admit Win 7 was a significant advancement.

Agreed, 7 was decent while 8 was another 'Vista moment' best avoided, 10 is solid (now).

I upgraded my office and lad's gaming PC's from 7 to 10 about two years ago, everyone happy, especially game boi. I subsequently upgraded my 12 year-old work laptop from 7 to 10 and was pleased that it also sorted out some intermittent hardware issues (bloody drivers!) that had plagued the machine after about 3 or 4 years of those infernal Windows updates. Since I built both PC's around 2011/12, I'm not going to waste time going to 11 but the lad's getting a new gaming laptop for his birthday this month which will come with 11.

I replaced my old laptop with a new slim and svelte 11 machine last December. Really, really happy with it and the weight-saving over it's predecessor.

11 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I subsequently upgraded my 12 year-old work laptop from 7 to 10 and was pleased that it also sorted out some intermittent hardware issues (bloody drivers!) that had plagued the machine after about 3 or 4 years of those infernal Windows updates.

10 has been the most stable version of Windows I've ever had, going all the way back to 95. Seen a lot of blue screens over the years. Part of the reason is that 10 is the best at finding drivers that work. It helps that hardware has become more standardized and reliable.

On 4/16/2023 at 6:14 PM, KhunHeineken said:

I had a Google around and any slight advantage seem not relevant to the majority of users.   No wonder you are staying with Windows 10.  :cheesy:

Relevant or not, average users are gradually adopting Win 11. Seems nobody cares if they are but you.

And, going around in circles, you've merely come back to my original post:

On 3/15/2023 at 11:13 AM, BigStar said:

No, I see no reason for Win 11. Win 10 does all I need. 

About which you needn't have wondered, as I stated my reason clearly right there. 

• 2 weeks later...

What an official "last version" announcement from M'soft looks like:

"The current version, 22H2, will be the final version of Windows 10, and all editions will remain in support with monthly security update releases though that date," said Jason Leznek, Principal Product Manager for Windows Servicing and Delivery.

"We highly encourage you to transition to Windows 11 now as there won't be any additional Windows 10 feature updates."

Users and organizations who must remain on Windows 10 are advised to upgrade their devices to Windows 10 22H2 to keep receiving monthly security update releases through October 14, 2025, when Windows 10 reaches its end of support.

--https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-windows-10-22h2-is-the-final-version-of-windows-10/

After I did enable TPM 2.0 in the BIOS one of my desktops is now Windows 11 compatible.

But why should I upgrade ? The only reason I see are the security updates from October 2025 on. Until that time I will run WIN 10 anyway. AI functions ? I would avoid these like the pest.

It is very much more important that all current applications will still run after the change of OS for I am not running a PC for hardware and firmware's sake.

What do you suggest would be the easiest way to check that (only over the supplier ?).

Thanks and I wish you a virus free time.

45 minutes ago, moogradod said:

After I did enable TPM 2.0 in the BIOS one of my desktops is now Windows 11 compatible.

But why should I upgrade ? The only reason I see are the security updates from October 2025 on. Until that time I will run WIN 10 anyway. AI functions ? I would avoid these like the pest.

It is very much more important that all current applications will still run after the change of OS for I am not running a PC for hardware and firmware's sake.

What do you suggest would be the easiest way to check that (only over the supplier ?).

You could create a Windows 11 virtual machine to build a test environment. I use VMWare Workstation Player (free) to do this. You could then install all your software applications on the VM to test compatibility.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mutt Daeng said:

You could create a Windows 11 virtual machine to build a test environment. I use VMWare Workstation Player (free) to do this. You could then install all your software applications on the VM to test compatibility.

I wonder if the VM would be compatible to run on my system. Here the overview. I use quite a powerful CPU AMD 2950X Ryzen.

But I would hate having to restore (I have backups of course) the machine when it would not work. And installing my landscape of different applications (I use it for video editing and as a Audio Workstation for recording. Apart from my various backup programs, Bitdefender Security, encryption (the program I am using is a must).

But really thanks for the suggestion in any case !!

Overview Main Desktop.jpg

Overview CPU Main Desktop.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

wonder if the VM would be compatible to run on my system. Here the overview. I use quite a powerful CPU AMD 2950X Ryzen.

Yes. You could just install few major programs for the check. Like Win 10, Win 11 will also run programs in compatibility mode.

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/run-older-programs-in-compatibility-mode-in-windows-11-10/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/make-older-apps-or-programs-compatible-with-windows-783d6dd7-b439-bdb0-0490-54eea0f45938

On 4/12/2023 at 2:03 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I wanted to change my 10 to work like 7, but I couldn't find anyway to do so. I did ask people that should know if it's possible.

And do you want your new Ford Fiesta to run & look like a 60s Anglia?   5555

• Haha 1

I have a desktop running windows 10, every update they say your PC is compatible to install windows 11. I decline

I also have a mini PC behind the TV that came with windows 11 pro & I can honestly say I don't like it.

If there was nothing else I would get by with it.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, sometime said:

I have a desktop running windows 10, every update they say your PC is compatible to install windows 11. I decline

I also have a mini PC behind the TV that came with windows 11 pro & I can honestly say I don't like it.

If there was nothing else I would get by with it.

And I have a i5 NUC connected to my Samsung 65 inch TV, W11 Pro, even though it is supposed to be incompatible. Love it.

19 hours ago, moogradod said:

It's extremely unlikely that you will encounter any third party software that will run on windows 10 but not 11. I'm not really a windows person but I do have win 11 pro installed in a VM.

19 hours ago, moogradod said:

Go linux and never think about viruses again.

9 hours ago, KannikaP said:

And I have a i5 NUC connected to my Samsung 65 inch TV, W11 Pro, even though it is supposed to be incompatible. Love it.

In what way is it supposed to be incompatible? I've always just used an android box for tv but only use it for streaming cable tv.

6 hours ago, ozimoron said:

In what way is it supposed to be incompatible? I've always just used an android box for tv but only use it for streaming cable tv.

In order to install Windows 11 there are certain things to which your PC must comply, and there are many You Tubes on how to override these reqwuirements.

This thread is about installing W11 and NOT how YOU are able to watch TV on your Android box.

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

In order to install Windows 11 there are certain things to which your PC must comply, and there are many You Tubes on how to override these reqwuirements.

This thread is about installing W11 and NOT how YOU are able to watch TV on your Android box.

I asked how it was incompatible. Disabling secure boot mode in the bios doesn't constitute incompatibility. It's a firmware switch. I'm not attacking you, I was interested in learning why that machine was incompatible. As an aside I had to disable secure boot in my ASUS mini in torder to use VirtualBox with Linux. Secure boot isn't necessary anyway, I understand linux has other defenses against root kit attacks. I don't know what they are, not really interested.

Edited by ozimoron

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

asked how it was incompatible. Disabling secure boot mode in the bios doesn't constitute incompatibility

As I said previously, you need to do a regedit in HKEY LOCAL/SYSYEM/SETUP.

New folder LAB CONFIG. Then new D Word 32 for each of Bypass TPM Check, Secure Boot and RAM Check, setting them all to 1 instead of 0.

Tom's Hardware site gives a very good explanation.

I have two 'non-compatible' PCs running, and upgrading W11 Pro perfectly.

Edited by KannikaP

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

As I said previously, you need to do a regedit in HKEY LOCAL/SYSYEM/SETUP.

New folder LAB CONFIG. Then new D Word 32 for each of Bypass TPM Check, Secure Boot and RAM Check, setting them all to 1 instead of 0.

Tom's Hardware site gives a very good explanation.

I have two 'non-compatible' PCs running, and upgrading W11 Pro perfectly.

I know, I did that when I installed win 11 in a VM. My point was that is not an computer incompatibility. It's just a setting. I don't want to argue about this further.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Love It 1

On 4/20/2023 at 6:15 AM, BigStar said:

Relevant or not, average users are gradually adopting Win 11.

A lot more "gradual" than past operating systems.  in business terms, that tends to show it has failed to impress, or a "flop." 

Back flips tend to follow flops, and MS have already back flipped on the TPM installation.   

On 4/20/2023 at 6:15 AM, BigStar said:

About which you needn't have wondered, as I stated my reason clearly right there. 

So Window 11 has "flopped" with you, and you are not alone.  It has flopped with hundreds of millions of others, worldwide. 

I guess their big scare tactic of the TPM and devices not meeting minimum requirements just didn't work out. 

Edited by KhunHeineken

I've been running Windows 11 in virtual machine for some time now, and so far don't like it much.

Why do they insist to change things that work well, interface wise? And there are now rumors that Win11 will have adverts in the next update.

However, I'm going to build a new rig this week based on i9-13900, and some sources say that Microsoft has collaborated with Intel and Win11 is tailored to take advantage of the new Intel processor architecture. It's supposed to adjust the workload more efficiently between the P-cores and E-cores. Will have to investigate more, and maybe run some benchmarks before I commit.

This is what Intel says:

"Intel® Thread Director sends the right workload to the right core at the right time. It helps prioritize and manage the distribution of workloads, sending tasks to the most optimized thread. This feature is on by default and works in tandem with the operating system for intelligent workload distribution. To get the full capabilities of Intel Thread Director, pair a select 13th Gen Intel® Core™ desktop processor with Windows 11."

Edited by SpaceKadet
Added extra info

9 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Still on Win7 on an old Samsung laptop with no problems !

I am not so sure if you know of any problems you might possibly have. Ever run a deep Anti-Virus scan ? Maybe this could result in a big surprize ????

23 minutes ago, moogradod said:

I am not so sure if you know of any problems you might possibly have. Ever run a deep Anti-Virus scan ? Maybe this could result in a big surprize ????

I'd suggest a backup, reformat and reinstall and a virus scan on the backup disk before copying back any files. It's good practice to keep unused files on an external drive anyway imo. But otherwise, yes that's good advice.

On 4/30/2023 at 10:59 PM, KhunHeineken said:

A lot more "gradual" than past operating systems.

You have no stats on all the past OS or, most importantly, on their profitability. As noted for the third time, M'soft planned for a more gradual adoption of Win 11.

in business terms, that tends to show it has failed to impress, or a "flop." 

No. It seems you don't know a lot about business, actually. Besides, Win 11 hasn't given a bad impression to most users who like Windows and who have also tried it.

Same with Win 10. Lots of annoyances, as always, but most users who moved from 7 to 10 didn't then go back to 7. Third-party programs helped with the transition, as from 10 to 11 for some users.

MS have already back flipped on the TPM installation.   

No. Win 11 has the same requirements now as it did for the initial release on Oct 5, 2021. The next day, on Oct 6, M'soft put out a support bulletin to help advanced users configure for older systems with TPM 1.2.

So Window 11 has "flopped" with you

Not at all, as I haven't even tried it yet. If I did, and if I then found it unusable, you could say it flopped with me. But it would be quite usable, no worries on that score--hence I mentioned earlier I may eventually change to it or to Linux.

I guess their big scare tactic of the TPM and devices not meeting minimum requirements just didn't work out. 

Another Complex Question fallacy. Not a scare tactic; the official requirements, all rational enough, haven't changed--and they won't; and most of the market will gradually move to Win 11. A last version hasn't been announced and, accordingly, the end of support for that last version, whatever it will be.????