Is it a SIN to convert a Classic Car to Electric ?

I would not say it's a Sin - however, it not really a classic car anymore either.

Purists, old style classic car enthusiasts, are likely not amused - doubt collectors are either.

Wonder if these modified classics compete in the same category at car shows, anyone know?

IMO the car is no longer a 'classic' car after the conversion.

It may be more user friendly, and 'modernised' - but it is no longer Original.

The value in a Classic Car is its' originality - its Pedigree.

I have looked at some Classics here in Thailand with a view to buying them - but then walked away after discovering the original engine has been replaced with a Toyota engine! If I opened the hood and saw an electric motor - I would run not walk!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

I think it depends on the car.

It would be a crime to convert an E type to EV.

But a minor classic which is not worth much and the engine cannot be kept working due to lack of parts?  I say have at it.

Perhaps it would not have that classic feel, which I think the classic car thing is all about, after all, sitting inside riding a classic that sounds and feels like a hair drier, will not give the same feel.

My brother-in-law in the UK has just for filled his dream at age 60, bought a Triumph Stag with the original Triumph V8......I think he will like the sounds.....☺️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For the high-end classic cars such as E-types etc. that are over 50 years old it is definitely an aesthetic and economic sin as they would lose most of their value and desirability - no-one with any sense would convert a 250 GTO for example.

More recent and lower-value cars however may be a good investment with a conversion - I have been thinking about a TVR Griffith conversion and somebody just offered me a TR7 in Florida with a good body but crappy engine and transmission - this could make an ideal conversion once I figure out where to put the battery pack.

• Like 1

Obviously depends on the car.  If pristine motor as in vid, then no, why would you, unless simply wanting better performance.

But if I had a couple of my past vehicles, which were mechanically challenged when I had them, and had them now, along with more money than I knew what to do with, then hell yea.

68 ish VW Van 

50 Buick Special ... both electrified would be way too cool, as stock motors were on their last leg when I had them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SatEng said:

For the high-end classic cars such as E-types etc. that are over 50 years old it is definitely an aesthetic and economic sin as they would lose most of their value and desirability - no-one with any sense would convert a 250 GTO for example.

More recent and lower-value cars however may be a good investment with a conversion - I have been thinking about a TVR Griffith conversion and somebody just offered me a TR7 in Florida with a good body but crappy engine and transmission - this could make an ideal conversion once I figure out where to put the battery pack.

Might be a lot more fun aurally to toss in a small block in the TR7. 

If the conversion involves switch the powertrain of an already restored classic, then yes, a sin.

If, however, a restoration is carried out from the scratch and the conversion to EV is part of that restoration then, no, not a sin - as that car would never be on the road without such work in the first place. 

I really like the idea of a Classic Landrover defender EV !!!....  

I also like the idea of an EV E-type...  there’s plenty of them around so the conversion is not really sacrilegiously destroying something rare. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Skallywag said:

It is a sin to own or drive any ICE car in the 21st century.  Set an example if you must drive, and drive an EV.

Big Oil Corporations are ruining the world and do not care about anyone but their stock holders and CEO's.  Do you really want to keep supporting criminals and those who take advantage of everyone for profit? 

Grow up people

Perhaps you are the one that needs growing up, we are talking classic cars that probably spend most of their time in the owner's garage...:coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, transam said:

Perhaps you are the one that needs growing up, we are talking classic cars that probably spend most of their time in the owner's garage...:coffee1:

Then why own it?  Collections are for Museums