Do you support "15 minute cities" in order to save the planet from man-made global warming?

connda

Do you support "15 minute cities" in order to save the planet from man-made global warming?  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

53 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Do you actually believe everyone can thrive? 

It smacks of central planning. 

You said the ideology scares you. 

You now state that its because it smacks of central planning. Can you tell me what city does not have central planning?

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think you might understand central planning differently than I do.

Centrally Planned Economy Definition (investopedia.com)

From your link:

"A centrally planned economy, also known as a command economy, is an economic system where a government body makes economic decisions regarding the production and distribution of goods."

Where does that fit into the ideology of cities referred to in C40? 

https://www.c40knowledgehub.org/s/article/15-minute-cities-Debunking-the-myths?language=en_US

Edited by Bkk Brian

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2023 at 2:44 AM, StreetCowboy said:

Specifically to the question of why and how the wealthy would oppress the poor, from the post I quoted.  
The “fifteen minute city” allows people to dispense with many of the trappings of wealth - reducing our carbon footprint - and perhaps freeing many people from the rat race treadmill of wage-serfdom.

When you provide a service that your neighbours want, and can live on frugal resources, the tax man and Elon Musk can whistle.

For us all to live like that, they will have to provide accommodation for us poor people to live in- so just how do they intend to do that, and what sort of accommodation do they have in mind?

Then, what happens to all the housing that is outside the 15 minute limit?

Will you support laws and regulations that will limit your personal movement to no more than a 15 minute drive from your place of residence in order to save the planet from man-made global warming?

Surely that should be

Will you support laws and regulations that will limit your personal movement to no more than a 15 minute commute by public transport from your place of residence in order to save the planet from man-made global warming?

Isn't the objective to stop us needing to use a car at all?

• Like 1

I don't understand the 15min city concept.

Hasn't the Brit government closed every high street shop and moved all the supermarkets out of town in the past 30 years? Fairly poor pickings from the remaining Estate agents and charity shops that are the only shops left in most UK towns.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

For us all to live like that, they will have to provide accommodation for us poor people to live in- so just how do they intend to do that, and what sort of accommodation do they have in mind?

Then, what happens to all the housing that is outside the 15 minute limit?

People would work a few hours in a paid job to pay their rent - or live in their family’s accommodation, or provide services in lieu of rent, or build their own home.  When you don’t need a garage or a home cinema your housing can be a lot cheaper.  When the streets are quiet with traffic and a pleasant place to meet your friends, you can live with less.  When your city is a park you don’t need a garden.

8 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

People would work a few hours in a paid job to pay their rent - or live in their family’s accommodation, or provide services in lieu of rent, or build their own home.  When you don’t need a garage or a home cinema your housing can be a lot cheaper.  When the streets are quiet with traffic and a pleasant place to meet your friends, you can live with less.  When your city is a park you don’t need a garden.

Any sort of housing is unaffordable for many already, hence the government paying to put families in motels in a certain country.

I think you are talking about Utopia, not real cities.

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Any sort of housing is unaffordable for many already, hence the government paying to put families in motels in a certain country.

I think you are talking about Utopia, not real cities.

Clearly you haven't a clue about a thing called public housing.

8 hours ago, save the frogs said:

I watched that, but they are IMO numpties for thinking life will be like now, but with a lot more smart technology.

How's that going to happen when AI/ robotics means most of us won't have a job and are surviving on the ludicrous "living wage"?

It's going to be great for the people with loadsacash, but for the rest of us it'll be horrible, IMO.

On 4/15/2023 at 8:51 AM, save the frogs said:

5 Reasons The Modern World is So Ugly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgNxLiuwFDY

Reason #4: Sprawl

For most of history, humans lived in small areas because they got around on foot or horseback.

Sprawl came around in the 1920s with the spread of cars. 

London's sprawl started when they invented commuter trains, and people could live far away from their work. It was in the 19th century. Apparently the Tube was built in the 1860s.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

London's sprawl started when they invented commuter trains, and people could live far away from their work. It was in the 19th century. Apparently the Tube was built in the 1860s.

they're advertising that they want people to live close to their work with these 15 minute cities. on the official web sites.

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I watched that, but they are IMO numpties for thinking life will be like now, but with a lot more smart technology.

How's that going to happen when AI/ robotics means most of us won't have a job and are surviving on the ludicrous "living wage"?

It's going to be great for the people with loadsacash, but for the rest of us it'll be horrible, IMO.

It's hard to predict what things will be like.

Main point is that several things are converging together ... 15 minute-cities AND AI .... 

MASSIVE changes coming by 2030 it seems. 

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

most of us won't have a job and are surviving on the ludicrous "living wage"?

they might also move towards a "sharing economy". 

you need a VR headset? just rent it for the weekend instead of buying. delivered by drone.

so maybe we won't need as much money.

7 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

they're advertising that they want people to live close to their work with these 15 minute cities. on the official web sites.

They are apparently ignorant of the probability that jobs won't be in a specific location any more.

Covid showed that office people can work from home, and real jobs will likely be eliminated by AI/ robotics.

I can see us returning to villages where everything is within walking distance. The town I live in is like that. No need for a car if one can walk or use a bicycle or mobility scooter.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

they might also move towards a "sharing economy". 

you need a VR headset? just rent it for the weekend instead of buying. delivered by drone.

so maybe we won't need as much money.

Sadly, that's not human nature. I only see an increase in criminality as people fight over the few spoils left to us poor people.

Want a good paying job- become a guard for gated communities.

6 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

Why would anyone want this?

So they wouldn't have to own a car. So streets wouldn't be congested with traffic. So pedestrians wouldn't be confined to narrow sidewalks because some of the streets would be returned to them.

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

So they wouldn't have to own a car. So streets wouldn't be congested with traffic. So pedestrians wouldn't be confined to narrow sidewalks because some of the streets would be returned to them.

Communistic little Villes, all of them.

what stupidity is this? 

some asshat posts a conspiracy theory around what is a traditonal way of life and the morons go mad.

Anyone here grow up in a village in the UK or Europe? how does this idea differ?

ansa -- it doesnt 

12 minutes ago, n00dle said:

what stupidity is this? 

some asshat posts a conspiracy theory around what is a traditonal way of life and the morons go mad.

Anyone here grow up in a village in the UK or Europe? how does this idea differ?

ansa -- it doesnt 

I grew up in the US and I don't remember my movements being limited.