Crazy electrical usage?

cola1800

On 3/25/2023 at 2:11 AM, ukrules said:

No it's not, my most recent electric bill was about 10,500 Baht, mostly due to my constant AirCon usage.

I use the AC because I like it. Always have, always will.

10K is ridiculous expensive. I got a house with 4 aircons, 4 fan's and this months bill is 4.5K.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, bluejets said:

As others have commented, that is just plain ridiculous setting.

You might want to try running on the dehumidify setting.

Details are in the user manual.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2063794/Mitsubishi-Electric-Msz-Gs07vf.html?page=10#manual

If he needs it to be on 20 maybe he should clean the filters and he can't do it get someone to clean and check the aircon for gas. 

Can't do much about 8 baht a unit used in a rented place other check someone else is tapping into his supply. 

22 hours ago, MJCM said:

No not at all. How do you come to that conclusion?

You challenged this statement, over usage, and then qoted rates that excluded fees.

"With taxes I am paying 5,5 baht a kwh on a bill i received on the 23rd of March 23"

22 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That figure is so badly wrong that it is ludicrous there are so many different base costs per unit (10) along with FT rates (5) and standing charges (2).

You must get a different bill to me.

On mine there is only one amount I have to pay the PEA.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

55 sqm 1 BR condo. (condo rate less than 4B/unit)

140-190 units monthly.

Aprox 500 baht, currently discounted as well.

Aircon on 8 pm-6am @ 26 degrees.

Ref freezer almost at max.

2 fans daytime.

Move from apartment, rent a condo, half the electricity rate, specially good for you who use a lot of units.

Try aircon @ 26-27 degree plus a swinging fan

Edit: have a company clean your aircon, typically only 1,000 baht, well spent

Edited by Shop mak

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

You must get a different bill to me.

On mine there is only one amount I have to pay the PEA.

Of course you do. Of course there is

However using your logic and a bill divided by usage here are 4 situations ;

Customer A is paying ฿3.56 per KWh

Customer B is paying ฿5.64 per KWh

Customer C is paying ฿8.10 per KWh

Customer D is paying ฿8.67 per KWh

customer E is paying ฿0.00 per KWh

Are any of them being overcharged, if so by how much and what is the correct amount 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Personally?  I'd find a different place to live.  I've lived in Chiang Mai and there is a huge selection of apartments for rent.  Now that you know the scam, don't fall for the over-priced electric the next time around.  FYI - when I lived there we only used fans. We lived in a 4th floor apartment with great air circulation.
You acclimatize.  Want cooler air.  There are DIY tutorials on how to make an air cooler using a fan, ice chest, and a block of ice.  We also used swamp coolers which worked well this time of year - not so good during the humidity of the rainy season.  Best of luck.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 1:24 PM, cola1800 said:

So what am I missing here? Is it really that expensive in 2023 for a small 1 room apartment? If so, what the heck are people with actual houses and multiple aircons, pool filters and so forth paying? I don't understand.

You are missing the fact that they are profiteering off you by charging their own rate. They are likely charged 2-4 baht per kWh based on time of day and location. They pocket the rest.

On 3/24/2023 at 3:34 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

There is the answer, as has been pointed out. Our AC in the daytime is never set under 27C. So you need to dress for the temperatures and use a higher temperature setting so your power consumption will be less than half what it is now. Or decide that you want to were the clothes that you are comfortable in the fridge you are living in and pay the price for your power

ahh, no. The answer is management charging double supply costs.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/24/2023 at 2:05 PM, cola1800 said:

so the room itself is probably around 26-28m2.

The AC was set to 20c, but I've now set it to 24c. It's on the lowest fan power

Tiny room makes it all more suspicious. But if you plan to stay in Thailand for a longer time, 24 degrees is ice cold for us who stayed here since before the millenium. From 26 degree and colder I use jeans and long arm jacket outdoors.:cheesy:

Try find eco-mode on your aircon.

Try aircon on 26 degree + a fan on lowest speed, makes a world of difference. Be careful don't aim the fan at your body.

Reduce the hours you run the a/c.

New building, expensive ref, new converter aircon .... sorry I can only see 1 culprit: You.

Running the a/c too many hours per day, on a too cold temp vs outdoors, even the newest type converter a/c will work hard then.

On the upside, some apartment charges 10 baht unit. Could be worse.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

You need to look at the actual PEA/MEA tariffs.

Like income tax, it's on a sliding scale, the more you use the more you pay per unit. If you are comparing users with similar usage rates a simple Baht / Units calculation works, but if you have a very low user (who could even be getting his power free) vs someone swallowing 1,000 units a month it just doesn't work.

Both MEA and PEA have online bill estimators which do the hard sums for you.

The PEA one is here eservice.pea.co.th/EstimateBill/

Our last bill was 3.8 Baht / kWh. But that was for 85kWh so we get every low-usage discount available except the free power one (we have the wrong type of meter).

EDIT We actually used >900kWh in that billing period. Now tell me having solar isn't economical ???? 

No one is listening so many experts here now. ????????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Kwasaki said:

No one is listening so many experts here now. ????????

And some totally nonsense joins in.

OP can choose to follow any advice given, or ignore any.  At least many have given good ideas for a long checklist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Shop mak said:

OP can choose to follow any advice given, or ignore any.  At least many have given good ideas for a long checklist.

Really how funny. ????????

8 minutes ago, Shop mak said:

Checklist

1 - set the ac to 28 degrees - check, because that is heaps comfortable.

2 - turn off appliances at the wall like a boomer because "stand by power" "All my power is going to the red standby light on the VCR Beatrice!

3 - Stand on 1 leg praying to the electricity gods for a discount.

Not on the list

Consider moving out from the place that is likely charging you double what they pay for electricity. It is a common grift all over Thailand.

The rate per unit id 2. something baht to 4. something baht depending on the location of your place, time of day and existing usage. You dont need to be a genius to work out what is happening in this instance.

Electricity%20Tariffs%20JAN66%20Unoffici

The internet was much more interesting before 70 year olds worked it out and started dishing out pearls of wisdom.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/24/2023 at 4:12 PM, still kicking said:

Now I live in the west as you know, my electricity bill is less than yours, I pay about 2000 baht for 2 months and nothing for water (which I can drink from the tap) how much do you spend on drinking water? Yes I get blasted for that. But Thailand is not cheap,

I have a 4 stage water filter  costs me about 1000 baht a year for  fresh clean great tasting drinking water  water bills on Thai house total 4000  a year, including washing machine , toilets etc   UK house  is 25,000 a year and the water tastes a bit chemical  plus the UK rivers are overflowing in faeces  and the water company makes Billion in profits for poor service ,,

also Thai electricity bill is lower than UK one even though I have FIT , solar panels and batteries in UK   , and Thailand has no clowncil Tax  , UK 80,000 baht a year  for nothing  and the thai bin men are more reliable than the UK ones who are always on strike

Edited by liddelljohn

6 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

I have a 4 stage water filter  costs me about 1000 baht a year for  fresh clean great tasting drinking water  water bills on Thai house total 4000  a year, including washing machine , toilets etc   UK house  is 25,000 a year and the water tastes a bit chemical  plus the UK rivers are overflowing in faeces  and the water company makes Billion in profits for poor service ,,

also Thai electricity bill is lower than UK one even though I have FIT , solar panels and batteries in UK   , and Thailand has no clowncil Tax  , UK 80,000 baht a year  for nothing  and the thai bin men are more reliable than the UK ones who are always on strike

I don't live in the UK I moved back to OZ a few years ago, being a pensioner, I get subsidised electricity of course free medical, and many other things. Having lost everything in Thailand I am renting now. I have a 2-bedroom unit which cost me only 240 AUD per week including water and pay only about 80 AUD for electricity for 2 months I still have my own car although I can use bus and Trains for a very cheap price and still can come twice a year to Thailand for holidays to see my friends. I pay nothing for drinking water at all since I can drink the tap water here. And yes, I don't live in the rip off cities like Sydney or Melbourne I live in the west a city of just over 2 million people. Yes, food is expansive at the moment but that is all over the world. I don't eat a lot anymore being old don't drink spirits or beer because they are expansive, I just have a few red wines which are cost next to nothing here. So, all in all I am quite happy here.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 11:12 PM, still kicking said:

Now I live in the west as you know, my electricity bill is less than yours, I pay about 2000 baht for 2 months and nothing for water (which I can drink from the tap) how much do you spend on drinking water? Yes I get blasted for that. But Thailand is not cheap,

I don't spend extra money on drinking water either, tap water is fine in Chiang Mai.

Electric and water around 250bht/each per month.

14 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Are any of them being overcharged, if so by how much and what is the correct amount 

Customer c d and e I do not understand. Even if you use no electricity you pay a charge for being connected.

Sorry for the lack of updates. Wanted to get a bit of data before posting again. Seems this is quite a sensitive subject.

Yes I get 20c was way too low. You have to understand I just arrived from a country where it's 0c, so the temp jump and humidity was a lot for me. The aircon is now set at 26c and this seems more than acceptable.

Problem is by my calculations the bill is still going to be ridiculously high for where I live...

Over the last 24 hours (with the aircon set at 26c) the electric meter has gone from a reading of 835 to 848, so 13 units of usage. That would mean at this rate my monthly bill will be 3,200 Baht (paying 8 Baht per unit). But for arguments sake, assume I was paying 5 Baht per unit, I'd still be looking at a 2,000 Baht bill, which for a studio apartment with no washing machine or dishwasher and just 1 AC unit seems very excessive to me.

I did the test where I switched absolutely everything off and the meter did indeed stop spinning. Left it for a decent period too and nothing was shady. So at this point aside from moving I'm not sure what to do. I'm using the bare minimum any normal person can. My fridge is set to the most energy efficient setting, I don't leave lights on, my TV is mostly switched off, and I only run the AC when I get too hot. What more can I do?

Unless there's some sort of advanced modification that's been done to use more electric (when the AC is switched on), I'm lost as to why my usage is so high

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The OP said he pays 8 baht a unit and I just paid 1845.22 baht for 358 units.

Who do you think is being overcharged?

The OP had the aircon set too low but the first reaction of many on here was that the supply was being interfered with, typical falang mentality.

The correct amount is what appears on the bill, up to you if you want to try and prove otherwise.

13 units over 24 hours averages out at around 540W.

If we assume the major consumer of juice is the A/C then 540/2000 would put it running at about 27% which is pretty ok for this time of year.

Add on your fridge/freezer (which will also be working harder) and I don't think that's entirely unreasonable.

For a (not very good) comparison: -

Over the weekend when we have family visiting (so 3x12,000 BTU A/C running only at night) we will swallow >50 units in 24 hours.

On a weekday when it's just myself and Madam (1x12,000 BTU A/C again only at night) our consumption is around 32 units in 24 hours.

But our biggest single consumer of energy is Madam's ruddy 15,000 litre koi pond. Pumps, UV, air pump - The load isn't massive but it's 24/7/365.

Cooling isn't cheap! Have you got that fan yet?

47 minutes ago, cola1800 said:

I'm lost as to why my usage is so high

One of the big problems is position and how much sun the walls are exposed to.

Many years ago I went to rent a condo in Pattaya and when he opened the door I couldn't go in. I just said if he didn't have one on the other side of the building I would look elsewhere. He did, obviously tried to get me into the hot one first.

If it is uncomfortable, either thermally or financially you may have to consider moving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, itsari said:

Customer c d and e I do not understand. Even if you use no electricity you pay a charge for being connected.

In none of the examples is anyone using no electricity. All but one of the examples are taken directly from the PEA calculator, and it is to within ฿1 of the actual prices charged in my experience. FWIW Our usage is between 400 and 900

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

You need to look at the actual PEA/MEA tariffs.

No, I only need to look at how much is going to come out of my bank account when it is due.

From time to time I do have a look at the usage,  more to see how it changes at different seasons and over the years.

My usage indicates the winter is starting earlier.

• Thanks 1