Extreme overcharging in hospitals in Rayong.Is it similar elsewhere?

thecyclist

7 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Mmmm--only 12 hours driving away from Rayong/Pattaya.

Kinda obvious not useful.

Maybe you missed the title of the thread... Let me refresh your memory, "Rayong. Is it similar elsewhere?" I would be replying to that part, weirdo... 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, JoseThailand said:

I think most of them do. So basically the foreigner price at a government hospital would be comparable to that at a private hospital.

Even in the hosputsls with dual pricing it is usually still much less than private.

Majority of hospitals do not have dual pricing. Only those in areas with mamy foreigners. Which are a small minority of all the hospitsls in the country.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Cataract op for one eye mono lends is around 25k in government hospitals Thai price AFAIK. 

Some government hospitals implement dual pricing, some do not.

They ones that do not tend to be located in areas with comparatively few foreigners. Your problem of course is that these will be far from where you live. Any friends or relatives upcountry? You will need to be able to stick around a bit, need follow up next day then after about 1 week etc

And are you sure the price your were quoted at Rayong was per eye as opposed to for both?

Pretty sure it was for one eye. At the Sattahip hospital they explicitly asked me on which side. Makes sense: Rayong and Sattahip are close to sin city, I assume they just doubled the price for those of the "wrong" ethnicity. Isn't it free for Thais under the 30 baht scheme , as long as they have it done in their home province? 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

Pretty sure it was for one eye. At the Sattahip hospital they explicitly asked me on which side. Makes sense: Rayong and Sattahip are close to sin city, I assume they just doubled the price for those of the "wrong" ethnicity. Isn't it free for Thais under the 30 baht scheme , as long as they have it done in their home province? 

Yes free for Thais but that is neither here nor there.

If that price was for just one eye then certainly it reflects dual pricing.  Your problem is that government hospitals without dual pricing will be located far from where you live. Do you have friends or family in any upcountry rural areas you could stay with for a week or so?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

At the Queen Sirikit hospital maybe it's the eyes department, i got a quote for something, half the price of a Pattaya hospital, and someone i know had emergency heart treatment, pretty cheap apparently 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ningnong said:

She just told you the facts, she did not create the business model for billing foreigners at a higher rate. Yet you felt it necessary to claim that Thailand, Thai people, are bigger cheaters "kee kong" than in Vietnam. Very charming.

Truth hurts

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, thecyclist said:

What has two tier pricing (racial) to do with price differences between bars and stores,which is a global phenomenon, a totally different type of two tier pricing.

Wrong premise. You experienced no racism. Same rules at those hospitals for all foreigners. And as a member of Thai SS, I get free care at Sirikit, yet I'm a foreign Caucasian.

And the policy is based on the economics of cost, just as is the price difference between bars and stores. You aren't paying the tax that Thai citizens do or paying into Thai SS, yet expecting Thai taxpayers to cover a portion of your cost.

Pretty global, too: in the USA, for example, you pay a lot more if you don't have insurance or Medicare to cover part of the cost. In the UK, as a foreigner, I can't just walk into a hospital for an elective procedure and pay the same as a UK citizen.

Finally, I said it "reminds me," notably your insulting Thailand to hapless Thai staff trying to do their jobs when in fact you yourself were committing the very sin of which you were accusing Thailand. It still reminds me, and I find it embarrassing.

6 hours ago, thecyclist said:

I can point you to some books on the basics of logical reasoning to get started.

???? But my lips have been sealed. I hope you understand the erroneous logic that led you to imagine you experienced racism and therefore "extreme overcharging."

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Based on my experience, I haven't come across any dual pricing in government hospitals. However, it's important to note that if you're not a Thai citizen, you won't be covered by the country's universal health coverage, commonly referred to as the "gold card."

While some procedures and treatments may feel inexpensive to patients, it's worth noting that this is because they are paid for by the government, and many of them are actually expensive.

However, I must acknowledge that my experiences may not be representative of the entire country.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Since setting up a dual price structure is a lot of administrative work, it is  not worth a hospital's while unless they have a significant number of foreign patients.

That's it. Excellent point.

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There are indeed government hospitals which have formally established dual pricing

Siriraj in Bangkok has a 25% surcharge for foreigners

Most if not all of the Pattaya area hospitals have dual prices (immediate Pattaya area - not the regional hospital in Chonburi)

And sounds like Raying Provincial hospital may as well though nto 100% clear (e.g. quote may have been for 2 eyes, or poster may have been using after hours private channel)

Sriphat in CM has a separte price structure for inpatient admissions, room charge is on par with the most costly private hospitals now (but other costs might still be much less)

Since setting up a dual price structure is a lot of administrative work, it is  not worth a hospital's while unless they have a significant number of foreign patients.

So in vast majority of provinces, not done.

I have even heard of soem that do nto charge foreigners anything becuase they so rarely see anyone not covered under one of the government schemes they have nto put in place a system for charging, period. These are small remote upcountry places of course.

Vachira Phuket also has dual pricing. Quite expensive for foreigners.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Until you get to the cashier????????

Over the last twenty years, between my wife, my son and myself I have been to cashiers at Bumrungrad probably hundreds of times, and you are making things up. 

bumrungrad indeed does nto have separate price for foreigners. It is expensive for everyone.

However some private hospitals do.

I believe BPH has 3 tiered pricing: Thais, resident expats and tourists. But cashier will often just assume all foreigners are tourists. Worth looking into if using that hospital (i.e. make sure you get resident expat not tourist price)

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

bumrungrad indeed does nto have separate price for foreigners. It is expensive for everyone.

However some private hospitals do.

I believe BPH has 3 tiered pricing: Thais, resident expats and tourists. But cashier will often just assume all foreigners are tourists. Worth looking into if using that hospital (i.e. make sure you get resident expat not tourist price)

Yes Sheryl. They look at us and hit the expensive button.

We are always tourists unless the wife knows someone hanging high in the tree.????????

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Correct.

Same for Vejthani and Bangkok Hospital in Bangkok. 

4 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Bangkok hospital does not have duel pricing. 

They have prices for Thais, resident foreigners,  tourists,  and foreign insurances 

But the differences are often not very clear.

BTW doctor fees are set by the doctor case by case, if he likes you they are cheap. 

42 minutes ago, Lorry said:

BTW doctor fees are set by the doctor case by case, if he likes you they are cheap. 

Sounds like someone could successfully start up a farang charm school to help achieve these better prices for its graduates. The discounts from the docs would soon recover the tuition, except of course in those utterly hopeless cases.

25 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Sounds like someone could successfully start up a farang charm school to help achieve these better prices for its graduates. The discounts from the docs would soon recover the tuition, except of course in those utterly hopeless cases.

It usually helps to be a beautiful young woman 

On 4/2/2023 at 2:08 PM, thecyclist said:

I had both of mine done a couple of years ago at Ban Phaeo and it was 20K/eye. That was made up of 

13,000 baht for the op - that was the most expensive mono-focal option. I was offered vario focal options but I wore variofocal glasses for decades and never gave that any consideration, you can take glasses back to the opticians.

5,000 baht for the op to be done by the hospital CEO, I was attending the Sunday clinic held by the CEO.

2,000 baht for aftercare which included 3 post op consultations.

As far as your question goes, it is not the same elsewhere.

I know 7 or 8 people(Thais) that had the same operation at the same hospital and we all paid the same. The Thais that had it done on the social were given a 6,000 option free of charge but could pay the difference for a better lens, my sister in law did that.

My wife's uncle had both eyes done at the same time and he booked a room at the hospital for overnight following the op, think it was 2,500 baht.

I had my first eye done manually and in the period before the second eye they had laser equipment installed so the second done by laser.

The first guy on this website was consultant and did the surgery.

https://www.bphosp.or.th/en_dreye.html

On 4/2/2023 at 2:20 PM, Sheryl said:

Yes free for Thais but that is neither here nor there.

If that price was for just one eye then certainly it reflects dual pricing.  Your problem is that government hospitals without dual pricing will be located far from where you live. Do you have friends or family in any upcountry rural areas you could stay with for a week or so?

I though there was a three-tier pricing schedule for foreigners in government hospitals that was implemented a few years back.
I remember as we guys married to Thais seemed to be at the top of the tier.  Do you have any links to those price schedules?  Or is my memory just playing tricks on me.

7 minutes ago, connda said:

I though there was a three-tier pricing schedule for foreigners in government hospitals that was implemented a few years back.
I remember as we guys married to Thais seemed to be at the top of the tier.  Do you have any links to those price schedules?  Or is my memory just playing tricks on me.

The pricing schedule exists but has never, in any of its versions, been followed because it is so unrealistic. Actual prices for Thais is much higher than shown abd have been for years.   So that document is of no real use. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The pricing schedule exists but has never, in any of its versions, been followed because it is so unrealistic. Actual prices for Thais is much higher than shown abd have been for years.   So that document is of no real use. 

Thanks.  I may need elective surgery in the future.  I had a hernia operation at Maharaj in Chiang Mai.  Very happy with the hospital and prices at the time.  Only cost 18K THB back in 2010.  I guess I'll just have to ask the hospital when needed.